Selling a 15 GB download?

bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Our (Serbian) government has some really shitty software.
Everyone who runs a company, or has anything to do with the government (taxes etc.) has to use it.

It runs properly only on Windows 10, and is a real hassle to configure.

I managed to make a VirtualBox machine that is installed, configured and ready to work (unactivated Win10, so anyone can activate it with their own Win key).

It's a 50 GB instance, that gets 7z-ed to a 13.5 GB file.

Now, how can I distribute it?
I wouldn't mind charging for it (I suppose any infrastructure for it would cost money, for bandwidth if nothing else).
But I wouldn't mind sharing it for free if there are no costs for me.

I expect a relatively steep rise of downloads, that will taper off to a low number of downloads over time.
A few thousands in total, I suppose (maybe more, maybe less).

Of course, it's possible that no one will download it, ever - lol. :)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

Comments

• CalinCalin Hosting Provider

Hello , it s possible give you cheap VPS with unlimited 1 GBps BW :) for 50 eur/month

Regards,
    Calin

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • Upload to Vagrant cloud for free distribution.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• How about using B2 + Cloudflare to distribute the image? AFAIK, the download BW would be free

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited November 2022

Degoo has 100GB on their free plan with 365 day inactivity limit for free Accounts to get suspended. Should be easy enough to upload via webgui and then share for dl:
    https://degoo.com/

I also use their free plan (for WhatsApp media).

Mega also has 20GB free storage: https://mega.io/

Storj has 150GB free storage per month:
    https://www.storj.io/pricing

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Might give B2 + Cloudflare a go - for curiosity if nothing else. :)

Thanked by (2)Ympker Encoders

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Torrent would be the obvious answer in my mind.

@bikegremlin said:

This is a bad suggestion and is likely to get your account banned if you push terabytes through it:

2.8 Limitation on Serving Non-HTML Content The Service is offered primarily as a platform to cache and serve web pages and websites. Unless explicitly included as a part of a Paid Service purchased by you, you agree to use the Service solely for the purpose of serving web pages as viewed through a web browser or other functionally equivalent applications and rendering Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) or other functional equivalents. Use of the Service for serving video (unless purchased separately as a Paid Service) or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content, is prohibited.

• yoursunnys idea about vagrant cloud seemed good

Thanked by (2)yoursunny bikegremlin
  • Cloudflare R2?

• rm_rm_
    edited November 2022

Make a torrent and upload it to a forum that is popular in your country. If it's nothing highly illegal, you can seed the initial copy from your home connection. And if it's in any demand, afterwards there likely will be a few seeds at all times.

If not that, then get a Kimsufi KS1 for 5 EUR (6 soon), I assume it's not a terribly high cost, that you will need to offset it via paid downloads (setting up payments, access control and such). Yes it's only 100 Mbit, but if the f*ckers do not want the torrent option and/or won't seed, they can wait a little while it downloads. And you can use the server for any other tasks in parallel, not to mention most or all of those come with a 2TB HDD these days.

• +1 for storj, would work perfectly for this use-case.

• I'd cop a cheap VPS with unlimited B/W for this project personally (maybe not Calins - 50 euro a month???)
    Throw openlitespeed or something with a nice looking auto-index page & upload the file to that.

If demand for it is higher than expected, upgrade to a beefier service & throw some google ads in to offset server costs, or just straight up charge for the download.

• Make a torrent and distribute the torrent file.

@rm_ said:
    Make a torrent and upload it to a forum that is popular in your country. If it's nothing highly illegal, you can seed the initial copy from your home connection. And if it's in any demand, afterwards there likely will be a few seeds at all times.

If not that, then get a Kimsufi KS1 for 5 EUR (6 soon), I assume it's not a terribly high cost, that you will need to offset it via paid downloads (setting up payments, access control and such). Yes it's only 100 Mbit, but if the f*ckers do not want the torrent option and/or won't seed, they can wait a little while it downloads. And you can use the server for any other tasks in parallel, not to mention most or all of those come with a 2TB HDD these days.

+1 for this suggestion - A torrent makes a lot of sense for this, with a slower direct download option (perhaps also mirrored to other file download sites like Mega, plus your own VPS/dedi for those folks) as well. I would even throttle the download speed for the VPS/dedi down to like 1Mbit per IP or something just to really encourage use of the torrent. Could point folks to something like webtorrent, too: https://webtorrent.io/

Could also look into stuff like IPFS too.

Another option would be to look into a sort of script (Powershell?) to achieve a desired configuration state for the application. The end user provides their own Windows installation and executes the script to pull down the software and perform the required configuration steps automatically (or semi-automatically if user input is needed - perhaps through prompts at the beginning or through an "answer" file).

If you go this torrent route I'll seed on my 1Gbps seedbox, even though this particular software is no use to me. LOL

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• @CamoYoshi said: If you go this torrent route I'll seed on my 1Gbps seedbox, even though this particular software is no use to me. LOL

I'm also happy throw this torrent on my seedbox for a couple months, 15gb isn't much of a dent storage wise.

Thanked by (2)CamoYoshi bikegremlin
  • @CamoYoshi said:
    Could also look into stuff like IPFS too.

Named Data Networking > IPFS
    Search for ndn6-file-server software.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• This sounds perfect for a KS-1, like @rm_ said. Another option is https://oneprovider.com/order/item/dediconf/49 which has 300mbps unmetered, as opposed to 100mbps. Could always accept donations as well.

• @bikegremlin said:

please report back the result, I'm curious as well

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

edited November 2022

I'd like to thank everyone for the advice (and some free storage hosting offers).

Here's what I've decided to do for start (I think it's only fair to explain):

I've set a $20 price per download (this could be adjusted based on costs, once I have some clue how they add up, playing it safe here). Used a WooCommerce store to sell it.

Why?

I had already made videos with detailed step-by-step instructions on how anyone can do it by themselves, on their PC.
    I've also made an article explaining how to install and configure VirtualBox for any Linux users (or Win 11 for that matter).

Hence, people who use this download would fall under:

• Won't follow simple instructions.
    • Don't want to spend the time.

That's why I set a price. That should limit the number of downloads quite drastically, and cover any costs.

The way I see money - it's best used as a way of showing gratitude and appreciation. If someone is not willing to pay for my time and (potential) expenses (even those offering free VPS - it's not fair to not pay for what I'm using, IMO), they don't really appreciate it.

The price I set is not small, but it's also not huge, especially considering this is mostly used by companies, and there is a free step-by-step tutorial (tutorials, in fact).

Thanked by (2)Encoders FrankZ

• edited November 2022

@bikegremlin said: I expect a relatively steep rise of downloads, that will taper off to a low number of downloads over time.

Torrents are literally designed for the download pattern you describe. Torrents are peer-to-peer, meaning that everyone that downloads, also helps with uploading to others - so if many are downloading at once, ppl can download from each other instead of waiting in line for your overloaded server.

You can actually make a magic type of torrent that downloads peer-to-peer and from a regular HTTP server: that is called a ⭐ webseed torrent ⭐. Then you have a torrent that always works as long as your server is up, but also can support thousands of people downloading at once. And you don't need to run a torrent client!

It's easy to make this magic webseed torrent in for example qBittorrent - just go Tools -> Torrent Creator, choose the file, add the download URL as a "Web seed URL", and it will work.

The magic of ⭐ torrents ⭐!

• @bikegremlin said: The way I see money - it's best used as a way of showing gratitude and appreciation. If someone is not willing to pay for my time and (potential) expenses (even those offering free VPS - it's not fair to not pay for what I'm using, IMO), they don't really appreciate it.

The price I set is not small, but it's also not huge, especially considering this is mostly used by companies, and there is a free step-by-step tutorial (tutorials, in fact).

that sounds fair

@bikegremlin said: I've also made an article explaining how to install and configure VirtualBox for any Linux users (or Win 11 for that matter).

btw is it possible to share a configuration file from virtualbox? in vmware i know theres a *.vmx file, from kvm-firt theres *.xml file
    if it's possible, maybe the user could just load the config file -> load the boot iso -> start right away

@IAmNix said: The magic of ⭐ torrents ⭐!

good idea in general, but a big nope on government instances.
    installing p2p software is a risk itself (lmao the most popular torrent software on google has adware with riskware on it), when shit hit the fan you wouldn't want your name get followed by audit team because "we installed this because need to download stuff from that guy"

government employee aren't brightest tool in the shed, less risk is always better. it's your govt, if you held liable you'll get the risk

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

edited November 2022

@Encoders said:

@bikegremlin said:

please report back the result, I'm curious as well

Upon further inspection of tutorials etc, the service does seem to be intended as (a relatively small) image-sharing CDN alternative.

Didn't want to risk being "that guy" - i.e. abusing a nice, free thing that is available, for a purpose it wasn't intended for.

Did set it up and try one download, just to see for myself - it does work, and is fairly simple to configure.

Thanked by (1)Encoders

• @bikegremlin said:

@bikegremlin said:

I've set a $20 price per download

I'm a little slow but I got it now.

edited November 2022

@jperkins said:

@bikegremlin said:

@bikegremlin said:

Yup.
    With all the costs (got a confirmation from my reseller hosting provider), pros and cons considered (no good deed goes unpunished :) ), I've set the price to $10 and think that is the least bad of all the available options, in the long run.

It should cover any costs easily, and it should prove without a reasonable doubt that the package is not official government-endorsed solution, nor promoted as such (since that stuff is free for use - not open source, but free - except the Windows license which govt. expects every citizen should purchase, apparently). It's affordable for anyone who really needs it, but the (IMO rather symbolic price) will prevent any abuse (downloads by those who don't really need it), or false accusations by either the users or the government (hopefully, lol, never underestimate human stupidity).

It will also give me some experience with selling digital products. To see what unforeseen problems I'll face. :)

Thanked by (2)FrankZ Ympker

• @jperkins said:

@bikegremlin said:

@bikegremlin said:

Yeah, I am sad I wasted my time researching webseeds now.

@bikegremlin, if you want to profiteer off the problem, fine I'll just ignore it, but don't change your mind after people have spent time helping you (for free...) A solution with no cost to you exists but you didn't take it. Bad vibes friend

edited November 2022

@IAmNix said:

@jperkins said:

@bikegremlin said:

@bikegremlin said:

Yeah, I am sad I wasted my time researching webseeds now.

@bikegremlin, if you want to profiteer off the problem, fine I'll just ignore it, but don't change your mind after people have spent time helping you (for free...) A solution with no cost to you exists but you didn't take it. Bad vibes friend

Yes, truly sorry for that. As I said in the post above - no good deed goes unpunished.

I wanted to put it up ASAP, since it is a hassle and I do get a lot of questions for help with it. And I did change my mind about offering it for free, even if it's feasible (as explained in my post above).

Also, with this being a public forum (and discussion), I expect the solutions LESbians provided here will help anyone with a similar dilemma - so it's not wasted IMO.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ IAmNix

• The real sadness is you spent your time creating a tool that could save hours for thousands of ppl like you say, but now it never will because you limited its use to only the handful that will take the risk to type their credit card into some random webshop :/

edited November 2022

@IAmNix said:
    The real sadness is you spent your time creating a tool that could save hours for thousands of ppl like you say, but now it never will because you limited its use to only the handful that will take the risk to type their credit card into some random webshop :/

That's one way of looking at it.

There's a local saying: "those who don't look out for themselves are no good to anyone else."

With all things considered, and knowing how things are run in my country, at this moment, I think this is the least bad way to go (with all the pros and cons considered).

Edit:
    I've built the tool to help myself. Since the govt. shit software won't run on Windows 11, not to mention Linux or (God forbid) Mac. It messes up Win 11 installs of other software!?!?
    And the support is an example of how support should not be provided.
    So it's been well worth my time IMO, and if it helps one more person - cool.
    If not - also cool (can't help those who won't help themselves).
    The purchase can be made with PayPal, Visa, or MasterCard, the price is $10 one-time, so I don't think that will be a big problem for anyone who really wants it.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@IAmNix said: The real sadness is you spent your time creating a tool that could save hours for thousands of ppl like you say, but now it never will because you limited its use to only the handful that will take the risk to type their credit card into some random webshop :/

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

edited November 2022

@FrankZ said:

@IAmNix said: The real sadness is you spent your time creating a tool that could save hours for thousands of ppl like you say, but now it never will because you limited its use to only the handful that will take the risk to type their credit card into some random webshop :/

Lol. :)

Though, that was my initial, knee-jerk reaction to the thought of charging for it.
    So there's that. Lol. :)

Either way, I'm certainly not perfect, nor claiming to be, but I make choices and decisions based on what lets me sleep well at night.
    It won't please everyone, never. But that's life.

Edit:
    It's also fair to note that it isn't "some random webshop," but the official take-your-money-and-run BikeGremlin webshop. :)
    My video on how to configure the damn software is the unofficial how-to guide for that shit.
    So it's more reliable and trustworthy than the official stuff - if I do say so myself. Wish it were the other way round.

• dfroedfroe Services Provider

If you want to I can offer as some kind of gift to our community to distribute the file for free over some of my existing and highly idling servers, for example unmetered SYS Frankfurt @250 Mbps or myLoc Dusseldorf @300 Mbps. You could upload via SFTP and use a simple DNS load balanced HTTPS vhost for download.
    Let me know in case you should be interested. :)

it-df.net: IT-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | AS39083 | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

@dfroe said:
    If you want to I can offer as some kind of gift to our community to distribute the file for free over some of my existing and highly idling servers, for example unmetered SYS Frankfurt @250 Mbps or myLoc Dusseldorf @300 Mbps. You could upload via SFTP and use a simple DNS load balanced HTTPS vhost for download.
    Let me know in case you should be interested. :)

Kind sir,

I am sad to say that I can in no way support, encourage, nor endorse such use and sharing.

If, on the other hand, you would be willing to dedicate some of your time to test the package and confirm there are no bugs or viruses - I’d be happy to send you a one- time (temp) download link via a PM.

User instructions are only available in Serbocroatian, but are quite easy to follow and the video’s comment section is open for any feedback or discussion: