Selling a 15 GB download?

2»

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited November 2022

Regarding Windows 10: isn't it free? Like, the last time I installed Win10 Home from Windows Media Creation center (or what it was called) I could install it on a new/virtual machine without any Windows key. So, probably you won't even have to buy Windows license :)

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited November 2022

@Ympker said:
    Regarding Windows 10: isn't it free? Like, the last time I installed Win10 Home from Windows Media Creation center (or what it was called) I could install it on a new/virtual machine without any Windows key. So, probably you won't even have to buy Windows license :)

Though it can run without having been activated, not every jurisdiction would agree that it’s legal - as far as I know.

My package lets users activate the install using their own activation key - as I would encourage and recommend. :)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

Though it can run without having been activated, not every jurisdiction would agree that it’s legal - as far as I know.

My package lets users activate the install using their own activation key - as I would encourage and recommend. :)

Ah, the 2$ ebay variant, I see :P

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

Ah, the 2$ ebay variant, I see :P

As far as I know, this is the only correct way to obtain a licence in Serbia:

https://www.microsoft.com/sr-latn-rs/windows/get-windows-10

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• dfroedfroe Services Provider

@bikegremlin said:

@dfroe said:
    If you want to I can offer as some kind of gift to our community to distribute the file for free over some of my existing and highly idling servers, for example unmetered SYS Frankfurt 250 Mbps or myLoc Dusseldorf 300 Mbps. You could upload via SFTP and use a simple DNS load balanced HTTPS vhost for download.

I am sad to say that I can in no way support, encourage, nor endorse such use and sharing.

If, on the other hand, you would be willing to dedicate some of your time to test the package and confirm there are no bugs or viruses - I’d be happy to send you a one- time (temp) download link via a PM.

Of course I can also offer it as a paid service as well, but I see your point.

If you want to and I can contribute in some other way, I can test the VM to check if a 3rd party person having no clue about the application and service itself is able to correctly run the VM and application within. However due to the nature of a VM, the guest system should run and behave exactly the same. I can run a simple AV scan on the filesystem but of course I cannot perform an in-depth security scan nor confirm or even guarantee anything. So the meaning of my sentence "it works" might be limited. :)

Thanked by (2)Ympker bikegremlin

it-df.net: IT-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | AS39083 | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

• skorupionskorupion Services Provider

@bikegremlin said: unactivated Win10, so anyone can activate it with their own Win key

Noone will.

@bikegremlin said: Now, how can I distribute it?

Try torrenting, as soon as someone downloads it, they also will become a host of it

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

• edited November 2022

My 2 cents:

• If you already have somewhere to host your WooCommerce (I guess you do, based on your webhosting reviews? ;) ) then I strongly suggest to use R2 already mentioned by @sanvit because managing a server is a PITA you probably don't want to deal with. If going the R2 (or similar object storage, e.g. S3/B2) route, consider using this as well, in order to restrict access to the download link by creating on-demand short-lived download URLs: https://developers.cloudflare.com:2053/r2/data-access/s3-api/presigned-urls/ (GetObject)
    • On the other hand, If you are (planning on) hosting the store and/or the downloads on a VPS, apart from the already mentioned KS, one other high bandwidth option you might consider is netcup https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vps.php#v-server-details whose ~3 euros per month VPS has a huge bandwidth allowance (80TB = almost 6k downloads per month @ 13.5GB )

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• afnafn
    edited November 2022

@bikegremlin said: I am sad to say that I can in no way support, encourage, nor endorse such use and sharing.

What the fuck is that shit. This is the weirdest phrasing I have ever seen in my life to tell someone "no thanks."

• "Hey, if you want to drink, I can offer you a glass of water for free"
    • " I am sad! I do not support or encourage such use of water and drinking"

Like, was the logic that your brain followed to arrive at the conclusion that it makes sense to refuse his offer with this unnatural sentence (pure curiosity, really)

• skorupionskorupion Services Provider

@afn said:

@bikegremlin said: I am sad to say that I can in no way support, encourage, nor endorse such use and sharing.

What the fuck is that shit. This is the weirdest phrasing I have ever seen in my life to tell someone "no thanks."

• "Hey, if you want to drink, I can offer you a glass of water for free"
    • " I am sad! I do not support or encourage such use of water and drinking"

Like, was the logic that your brain followed to arrive at the conclusion that it makes sense to refuse his offer with this unnatural sentence (pure curiosity, really)

This is LES not LET. This ain't a dumpster fire so don't act like you are in one

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin shelfchair

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

• @skorupion said: This is LES not LET.

Valid point. I have to admit it.

Thanked by (2)skorupion bikegremlin
  • rm_rm_
    edited November 2022

@IAmNix said:

Yeah, I am sad I wasted my time researching webseeds now.

Hey, now you became more educated than before, surely might use the knowledge elsewhere.

Oh and as others suggested, it didn't occur to me that we could offer to help seeding, and I would too, on a ~100Mbit seedbox. But that all goes with the previously imagined free distribution scenario, not if the file is paywalled in any way.

To the OP, do let us know if anyone purchases it. :-)