Web3 Domain Test - Can your Browser view this page?

Comments

• @Janevski said: All you need is Firefox or Chrome with the uBlock Origin plugin.

Or Chromium. If you wonder: Chromium vs Google Chrome.

• edited January 2023

I scrolled part of the way down on the UnstoppableDomains website and got a full-page layer that appeared asking for my email to sign up for a newsletter. At that point I closed both that tab and the tab to this thread before coming back to leaving this comment.

Take that for what you will.

Thanked by (1)Janevski

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• edited January 2023

@CamoYoshi said:
    I scrolled part of the way down on the UnstoppableDomains website and got a full-page layer that appeared asking for my email to sign up for a newsletter. At that point I closed both that tab and the tab to this thread before coming back to leaving this comment.

Take that for what you will.

There is no option to close it.
    Edit, there is, but i only saw it now.

• @Janevski said: Firefox for Mobile

You sir are gross.

• @shallow said:

@Janevski said: Firefox for Mobile

You sir are gross.

Why gross? Instead of the YouTube app, filled with ads i use Firefox for mobile + uBlock Origin.
    Haven't seen a youtube ad, at all.
    And i hate Firefox because performance-wise it sucks ass and gets stuck often, it is dick cheese compared to Chrome both desktop and mobile, but Chrome for mobile does not allow plugins.

• @Janevski said: Chrome for mobile does not allow plugins

Bromite or Brave work well for that. But this isn't a thread about that I guess.

Thanked by (1)Janevski
  • @shallow said:

@Janevski said: Chrome for mobile does not allow plugins

Bromite or Brave work well for that. But this isn't a thread about that I guess.

Nah i am fine, thank You.

• Bromite is actually really good, I've been using it for a couple of years. Bromite's performance in one word: fast.

• apt install bromite
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package bromite

Tough luck.

How are you... online?

• @root said: Unable to locate package bromite

We drifted into discussing mobile browsers.

• Opened smoothly from Opera mobile without any addon.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• elmao look at those lame extensions, all of them, if you can't access it i'm sure your browsers are dies from cringe

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• @Encoders said: browsers are dies from cringe

We already discussed this about Firefox mobile.

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero
  • @shallow said:

@Encoders said: browsers are dies from cringe

We already discussed this about Firefox mobile.

Is this about web3 or about mobiles? Because we could derail this to how a menstruation cup could send notifications on mobile about how much it's filled, while also integrating it into browser for more notifications through web3 over an anonymous crypto domain.

My guess is we don't want to go that far.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

How are you... online?

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@Dazzle said:
    Opened smoothly from Opera mobile without any addon.

Thanks for the feedback :) That's good to hear!

• @root said: Is this about web3 or about mobiles?

It was the potato farmer who brought up Firefox mobile. Some people wanna see Web 3 on their Motorola flip I guess. Who on earth uses FF Mobile. See, gross.

• @shallow said:

@root said: Is this about web3 or about mobiles?

It was the potato farmer who brought up Firefox mobile. Some people wanna see Web 3 on their Motorola flip I guess. Who on earth uses FF Mobile. See, gross.

I do. I use Firefox on mobile. I have 3 versions: normal, Nightly, and Focus.

Thanked by (1)chimichurri

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@shallow said:

You are and always will be a sick sick man

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @AuroraZero said:

@root said:

@shallow said:

It's just a browser.

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@AuroraZero said:

@root said:

@shallow said:

It's just a browser.

Yeape sure is sorry tried to make a joke and it didn't land

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• rootroot OG
    edited January 2023

@AuroraZero said:

@root said:

@AuroraZero said:

@root said:

@shallow said:

It's just a browser.

Yeape sure is sorry tried to make a joke and it didn't land

I forgot about Tor. I have that too, which is a modified Firefox basically.

Don't worry. I get you. I am sick, because there is no such thing as normal. Everybody is unique in the end. :sweat_smile:

How are you... online?

• @root said: That is also a modified Firefox basically.

You had better install Fennec too. Why go half assed? Go all the way.

• @Dazzle said:

Is Opera Mobile still intercepting the whole webpage?

@root said: Is this about web3

Web3 is just a marketing term.
    We can invent Hypernet 5 and define whatever mode of operation in it.

• @Ympker said:
    People chose (centralized) order over (decentralised) chaos then? :P

People do not chose at all, they just type in what they are looking for in Google and click on the first link.

As techies, we might find stuff like web3 fascinating and interesting, but keep in mind that 99% of everybody does not give a shit. Centralized or decentralized doesn't mean anything to them as long as they get the website they need when they need it.
    Decentralized and freedom of speech and whatever hype they use to try to sell their idea sounds very good, until you realize that it is not really a problem for anybody. Honestly, I have never meet a person that tried to use freedom of speech or decentralization as an argument that have had anything of importance to say that was not already able to say it. Everyone I've ever meet that cries about freedom of speech and decentralization have been some kind of fanatic that think freedom of speech means that they can say whatever they want without having to face the consequences.

Basically, web3 tries to solve a problem that does not exist. People will not take any extra step to use something unless it solves a problem or makes life easier for them, and web3 simply does not.

Thanked by (3)Ympker chimichurri root

@rcy026 said:

@Ympker said:

People do not chose at all, they just type in what they are looking for in Google and click on the first link.

As techies, we might find stuff like web3 fascinating and interesting, but keep in mind that 99% of everybody does not give a shit. Centralized or decentralized doesn't mean anything to them as long as they get the website they need when they need it.
    Decentralized and freedom of speech and whatever hype they use to try to sell their idea sounds very good, until you realize that it is not really a problem for anybody. Honestly, I have never meet a person that tried to use freedom of speech or decentralization as an argument that have had anything of importance to say that was not already able to say it. Everyone I've ever meet that cries about freedom of speech and decentralization have been some kind of fanatic that think freedom of speech means that they can say whatever they want without having to face the consequences.

Basically, web3 tries to solve a problem that does not exist. People will not take any extra step to use something unless it solves a problem or makes life easier for them, and web3 simply does not.

Fair point. I tend to get carried away when hearing about some new tech trend but, of course, we techy people are a minority.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Ympker said:

@rcy026 said:

@Ympker said:

Fair point. I tend to get carried away when hearing about some new tech trend but, of course, we techy people are a minority.

I'd argue that it isn't new.

It's been out for over 10 years now. That's a lot of time in the IT world. When "Internet 1.0" and "2.0" came out, they both had some good use-cases immediately. Giving noticeable benefits to the users. But this fad - they are working hard on trying to figure out what to use it for. The main difference between the "Web 3.0" and "BikeGremlin's pigeons" is that the pigeons are marketed as a sarcastic (and highly questionable sense of) humour, not as a "next best thing!" :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @Janevski said:

@Dazzle said:

YetiProtocol3 engaged?

Thanked by (1)Janevski

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@rcy026 said:

@Ympker said:

I'd argue that it isn't new.

It's been out for over 10 years now. That's a lot of time in the IT world. When "Internet 1.0" and "2.0" came out, they both had some good use-cases immediately. Giving noticeable benefits to the users. But this fad - they are working hard on trying to figure out what to use it for. The main difference between the "Web 3.0" and "BikeGremlin's pigeons" is that the pigeons are marketed as a sarcastic (and highly questionable sense of) humour, not as a "next best thing!" :)

Now, where can I get some of those pigeons? :tongue:

• rootroot OG
    edited January 2023

@bikegremlin said:
    [...] But this fad - they are working hard on trying to figure out what to use it for.

Seen from an efficiency perspective web3 does not offer something new, because it's the same browsers with same HTTP protocols. However, regarding web3:

• at the privacy level it offers more anonymity for domain owners due to transactions through cryptocurrencies;
    • at technical level it offers decentralisation which slowly helps pulling Internet out of private control;
    • at financial level it brings the possibility to register TLDs, without ICANN regulating the price, while instead having the market establish itself through open auctions.
    • at political level there is the benefit of free speech. Sure, the downside is all idiots can spread fake news about anything, but communication for journalism might also become bolder against corruption. I don't know, this might be a different topic though.

With all this in mind, seen strictly from an efficiency point of view at consumer level, web3 does not bring much to the table. But there are other benefits, which is why only few people who understand it's necessity actually want it (a minority).

Web3 has failed. The best attempt was Handshake, and even that with all it's hype, investors and donations, it has still failed. People don't like investing in projects which have failed in the past, so in my opinion other future projects might fail too, due to lack of investors as they correlate the reference to what happened in the past.

Religions want to control thinking mechanics. Corporations want to control consumers. Governments want to control populations. Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers wants to control the protocols and how internet works. We are just too small to oppose this "group of leaders" and help the world out of their greed.

How are you... online?

• @AuroraZero said:

@Janevski said:

@Dazzle said:

YetiProtocol3 engaged?

Yes, why not?

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero