Best way to install Nextcloud

2»

Comments

• I would use Docker (Podman).
    Anyway instead of Nextcloud I think Immich would do better with pictures. https://immich.app/
    I haven't used it yet, but it looks good.

Thanked by (2)ehab imok

Filen.io - use this link to signup and we both get extra 10GB free.
    https://filen.io/r/4d472d5cdb57f6663621a251065e0b51

• edited February 2023

@angstrom said: Yes, this is all clear, but what if one needs to update/modify the Nextcloud database after an update?

How would new version work otherwise if web-updater wouldn't update also database? :)
    It's similar as with every other modern php software (drupal, wordpress, etc...) webupdate process. An update, regardless of it being triggered through the GUI or the CLI, will attempt to update the database.
    It's recommended to do it manually via CLI, but if this isn't possible (shared hosting environment) GUI will do it too.

I actually needed to remove one file lock (ie. DELETE FROM oc_file_locks WHERE 1;) once long time ago (randomly, unrelated to the update), but this was with direct login to the database, not occ, so not directly related to your question.

• @Mumbly said:

@angstrom said: Yes, this is all clear, but what if one needs to update/modify the Nextcloud database after an update?

How would new version work otherwise if web-updater wouldn't update also database? :)
    It's similar as with every other modern php software (drupal, wordpress, etc...) webupdate process. An update, regardless of it being triggered through the GUI or the CLI, will attempt to update the database.
    It's recommended to do it manually via CLI, but if this isn't possible (shared hosting environment) GUI will do it too.

Okay, just now, I've updated a Nextcloud installation from v23.0.12 to v24.0.9 using the web updater

The update succeeded well but afterwards, I needed to update the Nextcloud database using occ db:add-missing-indices (on the command line), which was recommended (in the form of a warning). I saw this recommendation (warning) in the Nextcloud admin account (--> Settings --> Overview). (Note that "Settings" and "Overview" may not be exact translations)

Nextcloud would have continued to work without my following this recommendation (warning), but for a long-term installation, I strongly suspect that it's best to follow such a recommendation rather than to ignore it, especially because further updates may compound the problem

As I tried to say above, I'm not sure whether I would be able to issue this occ command in a shared hosting environment. (This was my question)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• Folks may not like it but one of the easiest merhod apart from softaculous is using snap package. It just works, politics aside.

• @mee2 said: using snap

Thanked by (2)ariq01 ehab
  • @Fritz said:

@TrK said:
    The easiest way would be, getting a beefy server, installing easypanel or dokku and install it with one click and you get to limit everything with a nice GUI.

Interesting, mind to share which one to choose between them?

I will go with easypanel just because it has temp domains for your containers and a good GUI.

Thanked by (3)imok ElonBezos ariq01

Active lurker nothing more nothing less, want to discuss something? i am all ears!

• @TrK said:

@Fritz said:

@TrK said:
    The easiest way would be, getting a beefy server, installing easypanel or dokku and install it with one click and you get to limit everything with a nice GUI.

I will go with easypanel just because it has temp domains for your containers and a good GUI.

Yes, I was playing with Dokku and will try to play with easypanel now to compare.

• @Fritz said:

@TrK said:

@Fritz said:

@TrK said:

Yes, I was playing with Dokku and will try to play with easypanel now to compare.

Don't forget to share your experience :grin:

Active lurker nothing more nothing less, want to discuss something? i am all ears!

• is sqlite enough for personal use?

• @ElonBezos said:
    is sqlite enough for personal use?

It should be more than enough.

Thanked by (2)Ympker ElonBezos