How does your desktop look like?

13»

Comments

• My work laptop... I don't change the background on any of my other PCs because I'm lazy. Cycles through about six different poster scans all from the same marketing company.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• Too lazy to clean up.

@bliss said:
    Another total black (blank).

Miss i3wm from Microwatt OS. Sad current laptop have dead keyboard and current ext. keyboard is problematic with linux.

Thanked by (2)Ympker bliss
  • MannDudeMannDude Hosting Provider

I'll share the work laptop's desktop. It's clean because it doesn't get used as much as my workstation. Too lazy to organize the desktop and put on appearances. It's icon / shortcut city.

Thanked by (4)Ympker shallow alt lapua

[ IncogNET LLC ] - Privacy By Design
    We believe that privacy and freedom of expression are two very important things, so we offer solutions to accessing and publishing content safely.
    [ USA: Liberty Lake, WA | Kansas City, MO | Allentown, PA ] [EU: Naaldwijk, NL ] [ CL Shared | KVM VPS | VPN | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names ]

• @MannDude said: I'll share the work laptop's desktop. It's clean because it doesn't get used as much as my workstation. Too lazy to organize the desktop and put on appearances. It's icon / shortcut city.

Woot! Found another MX user.

• altalt
    edited March 2023

Mine is like this.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Thanked by (1)Ympker

• Simple

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Thanked by (3)Ympker stablecloud FrankZ

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• You people with icons on the desktop, how do you use those?
    I mean, I very rarely see my desktop. I start my computer, see the desktop for like 2 seconds and then I start a bunch of applications and never see the desktop again until next reboot, which is usually weeks apart.
    Do you minimize everything you're working with just to get to the desktop to click on an icon?

Not trying to talk down to anyone or anything, I just cant get my head around it so I am actually curious. It would drive me crazy if I had to go to the desktop all the time.

• edited March 2023

Files that I am currently using or referencing or working on often go on the desktop, where they are easy to find. If the desktop gets cluttered, I clean them up. I confess that I also have a catch-all folder named "Desktop to Sort", which is like sweeping the dust under the rug.

On my Mac, a key combination does "Show Desktop", which moves all the open windows out of the way and exposes the desktop. I can see and click on file icons that are currently on the desktop. I have it set to CTRL-DownArrow, which may have been the default a long time ago.

Mac features like that are grouped under "Mission Control". The Mission Control settings can be found in System Preferences, and are set individually by each user account. Click on the Mission Control icon to see Keyboard and Mouse Shortcuts. There you can change or eliminate the key combination that does Show Desktop.

• @xleet said:
    Files that I am currently using or referencing or working on often go on the desktop, where they are easy to find. If the desktop gets cluttered, I clean them up. I confess that I also have a catch-all folder named "Desktop to Sort", which is like sweeping the dust under the rug.

On my Mac, a key combination does "Show Desktop", which moves all the open windows out of the way and exposes the desktop. I can see and click on file icons that are currently on the desktop. I have it set to CTRL-DownArrow, which may have been the default a long time ago.

Mac features like that are grouped under "Mission Control". The Mission Control settings can be found in System Preferences, and are set individually by each user account. Click on the Mission Control icon to see Keyboard and Mouse Shortcuts. There you can change or eliminate the key combination that does Show Desktop.

Well yes, I know how keyboard shortcuts work. I practically never touch the mouse, not even when using windows. The keyboard shortcut for desktop on Windows is Win + D.
    But then you minimize everything you are working on. If I have two ssh sessions split on one monitor, a browser on my second and vs code on my third and Spotify on the laptop screen I do not want to minimize all that just to get to an icon on the desktop.
    If I need a file I usually hit Win + E to get a file explorer, then Ctrl + L to set focus on location bar and then I start typing the name of the file. It takes less then a second and I do not have to move anything to get to it. Folders and files I'm currently working on are pinned under quick access so they are always at the top of the explorer windows when it starts, a quick down arrow and I'm there, or they are saved in the recent history so they show up instantly as I start typing in location.

This is getting off topic, but I'm really curious as to how you get this into some sort of "work flow" without it being extremely ineffective. I would love to actually observe someone with a cluttered desktop and see how they do it, but the only ones I know that have things on the desktop are the kind of people that spends 15 minutes looking for the file they just saved...on the desktop. :lol:

• my computer desktop is free of icons.
    my physical desktop... it's embarrassing.

Thanked by (4)Not_Oles Ympker _MS_ Mason

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @rcy026 said:
    You people with icons on the desktop, how do you use those?
    I mean, I very rarely see my desktop. I start my computer, see the desktop for like 2 seconds and then I start a bunch of applications and never see the desktop again until next reboot, which is usually weeks apart.
    Do you minimize everything you're working with just to get to the desktop to click on an icon?

Not trying to talk down to anyone or anything, I just cant get my head around it so I am actually curious. It would drive me crazy if I had to go to the desktop all the time.

Well, actually, it's just pure laziness. I rarely see the desktop as I mostly work in the browser and tabs. When you install software on Windows, it drops a shortcut on the desktop. I repeat this process and don't bother to clean up - I'm too lazy. Sometimes I use the desktop as a temporary storage location as well.

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• jvnadrjvnadr OG
    edited March 2023

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero Ympker

• If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is guaranteed to crash.
    • If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment before it crashes.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@jvnadr said:

I see Keepsolid and FastestVPN. I like :tongue:

Thanked by (1)jvnadr
  • wankelwankel OG
    edited March 2023

">

The black rectangles are physical desktop, as in, the screens don't reach low enough there :-P

edit - trying to make a link out of the image and succeeded

• Complementary video

• @Ympker said: I see Keepsolid and FastestVPN. I like :tongue:

Also, openvpn with own server and speedify for streaming purposes...

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is guaranteed to crash.
    • If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment before it crashes.