March 26 Ephemeral, Bare Metal Meddle!

2»

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@Not_Oles said: I can't ssh into or ping the instance.

While I was sleeping 😴 I guessed that I might have misunderstood the DevStack install instructions, which say, "Launch VMs and if you give them floating IPs and security group access those VMs will be accessible from other machines on your network."

I cluelessly™ imagined that the addition of the default security group would provide ping and ssh access. But maybe not. Other instructions say, "Before you launch an instance, you should add security group rules to enable users to ping and use SSH to connect to the instance. Security groups are sets of IP filter rules that define networking access and are applied to all instances within a project. To do so, you either add rules to the default security group Add a rule to the default security group or add a new security group with rules."

Maybe I have to go try to figure out appropriate security group rules and either add them to the default set or create an additional security group.

Another thing I haven't figured out yet is why my Google searches keep leading me to older versions of the OpenStack and DevStack instructions. I should take a look at the structure of the current instruction set and try to go directly to the needed pages.

Hope all you guys are having fun with your VPSes and your servers! <3 Best wishes!

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@Not_Oles said: Another thing I haven't figured out yet is why my Google searches keep leading me to older versions of the OpenStack and DevStack instructions. I should take a look at the structure of the current instruction set and try to go directly to the needed pages.

Let's try https://docs.openstack.org/devstack/latest/

Also https://docs.openstack.org/devstack/latest/networking.html

Best wishes! :)

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!