Self-introduction, Migadu.com / Gmailify.com founder

dejandejan Services Provider

Hi everyone! Just joined, but long time lurker. I am Dejan, one of the founders of https://www.migadu.com email service as well https://www.gmailify.com

I won't be going into Migadu introduction, @Not_Oles (thank you!) did an excellent work on that at https://lowendbox.com/blog/fix-gmail-deliverability-problems-inexpensively-with-migadu/

If there is something I can answer, I am happy to do so! Also very happy to learn about email needs, what can we (as email providers, not just Migadu) do better!

Greetings to @jarland - all the respect for other bootstrapped mail providers.

Comments

• Welcome :)

Thanked by (1)dejan
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Hi @dejan! It's great to see you here! I remember the wonderful job you did helping me get onboard at Migadu. My Migadu account just recently renewed for another year without email problems! Always best wishes! <3 Tom

Thanked by (1)dejan

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• mannenmannen Hosting Provider

Nice to see an alternative, are you hosting your services in EU or CH?
    What about outbound delivery? Does email stay within EU/EES or do you use relay services outside, such as Mail.baby/Mailchannels?

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero

RIPE LIR

• Migadu is a nice email product. I once was their paid customer.

Thanked by (1)dejan
  • Welcome!

How about an exclusive LES deal? ;)

Thanked by (3)sh97 dejan loay

Team push-ups!

• Welcome bro! :)

Thanked by (1)dejan
  • dejandejan Services Provider

@Astro said:
    Welcome!

How about an exclusive LES deal? ;)

We don't do coupons etc, as they are very unfair. Reaching a checkout page and seeing a discount code field, to which you have nothing to give is short of irritating. If anyone from LES wants to use Migadu, we'll be happy to attach 50% off for life, just ask before upgrading via support mentioning me, I will let the team know.

@mannen said:
    Nice to see an alternative, are you hosting your services in EU or CH?

Migadu has actually been around since 2014. We host about ~1mm mailboxes on ~200k domains globally. We don't advertise though, our growth has always been through word-of-mouth. Growing slow comes with many advantages and gave us time to optimize. Aside the (customized) mail stack, we build everything in-house.

We host in OVH datacenters. Someone is probably going to jump in to say how bad OVH is. Not at all. We've been able to build redundancies easily due to the amount of datacenters and predictable performance. This allows us to avoid any single point of failure in the infrastructure. Since 2017 we've also seen a great increase in OVH stability.

In the past we've tried also Hetzner, AWS, Vultr, and some Swiss hosting providers, but OVH could not be matched on price, stability and features (e.g. included DDoS protection, BYOIP). Kudos to OVH really (just not for their support tbh). Swiss datacenter/hosting providers mostly think that label [Swiss] is a feature which compensates for the lack of everything else and double price. That's why we stick with OVH.

Migadu is hosted in FR/DE in 5 different datacenters, with relays, replicas and backups split so even if a datacenter happens to burn down (again), we'd be still up and running with a possible short interruption of connections. Since the OVH incident in Strasbourg (we were not impacted), they are now statistically less likely to have a datacenter problem than the rest of datacenter providers. :-]

Gmailify.com is hosted in CA and FR split among 6 different datacenters. This one is a rather new service, aimed at using own domain names with Gmail - for those that prefer Gmail.

What about outbound delivery? Does email stay within EU/EES or do you use relay services outside, such as Mail.baby/Mailchannels?

In both services, we maintain and use our own outbound relays, both IPv4 and IPv6 on our own IP ranges - in FR (EU) datacenters, (we are also RIPE NCC LIR). This is so essential, I do not see how it could be outsourced. We do our own spam filtering in-house so no need for outside relays.

Thanked by (3)ialexpw shallow treesmokah
  • Welcome to LES @dejan. I have been reading about gmailify, it looks like a very good concept. FAQ mentions that no hacks or trickery is involved. I am interested in knowing how it works, if you don't mind.
    The service appears to use POP3 on gmail, does that mean any other POP3 supported email provider can be used? Will there be any delay in delivering mails? E.g. one time passcodes that some provisers send that expire in 5mins will still be deliverd in time?

Thanked by (2)dejan Joseph
    edited March 2023

Thank you @mee2 !

Gmail has built-in open support for POP3 fetching. It also has support for IMAP syncing, but only with Microsoft and Yahoo/AOL, a feature they call themselves Gmailify (not registered trademark though ;). The second, IMAP syncing is useful only if you really use the two accounts in parallel, and you have folders.

Otherwise, both POP fetching and IMAP syncing do the same thing in Gmail. They pull in messages, de-duplicate them, pass them through spam filter and bring them into Gmail. This benefits Gmail as they start filling up storage faster so after 15 GB, paid plan should be purchased. No one really wants to go and clear up 10 year junk from their mailboxes, a fact which Gmail readily uses.

You can use any POP service with Gmail. The main reason why Gmail made this feature was to avoid being forwarded to (and to migrate existing mailboxes). I am tired of mentioning how forwarding is an email hack and it should not be relied on. Messages will get lost when forwarded, it's a fact that holds as gravity. The spam filters in Gmail are dynamic and will reject some messages for a multitude of reasons. Gmail postmasters know it themselves, but softening filters is not an option, so they made also POP3 fetching.

POP3 is very simple read-only protocol and it simulates picking up messages from a physical post office, unlike IMAP which was made for R/W accesses of a message storage. Fetching recent messages with POP3 is a very quick op, unless one is migrating a mailbox. Compare that to IMAP, which should sync all folders.

*POP3 fetches are made by Gmail periodically with dynamically adjusted intervals. They seem to fetch more often from mailboxes with more changes, e.g. every 15 mins, while with mailboxes that have less changes, they may reduce fetches to even once in an hour. (I could be wrong here, it may be load-based too.)

*IMAP syncs are more involved and longer running processes. Continuous syncs are out of the question even for Google, which is why I assume they limited their "Gmailify" feature to only Microsoft and Yahoo/AOL (Oath). They are most likely relying on a trigger from the remote service which notifies of folder changes and initiates sync. This would explain why this feature is not open to the public, but only select partners. With such triggers, messages appear faster in Gmail than through POP3 fetches.

Side note: Google, Microsoft and Yahoo/Aol, representing more than 75% of global email traffic, are all tightly cooperating in the background significantly to maintain their dominance. Just check the authors of last few standards proposed, e.g. RFC8461. They are intentionally making standards which only them can easily implement, raising the barriers of entry for new providers. (MTA-STS for instance adds no value compared to a more comprehensive DANE)

Back to Gmail, POP protocol has no support for folders, that was an IMAP invention. There is an issue obviously if you have a service which places spam messages into Junk folder. Those messages will not be seen in POP fetches, so one has to be careful with false positives. Best to change spam action to subject rewrite (e.g. add SPAM prefix), something most providers should support.

To compensate for all of this, Gmailify.com forwards [non spam] messages to Gmail and at the same time serves same messages via POP3 with message expiry of 7 days. Should forwarding for any reason fail or get deferred by Gmail, the POP3 fetches are still there. Gmail stores messages in BigTable, and seems to use the message-id as key. As such same message-Id cannot repeat. For us that means that no duplicates will happen even if we forward and serve via POP3.

An outgoing SMTP service can be also added to Gmail so it also can send / reply from the same address it is fetching from. There is a hack where their own smtp.gmail.com can be used for outgoing relay, but such messages will ironically land in other Gmail recipients' junk. Among other things, it has no DKIM signature, which is essential for Gmail itself.

Gmailify.com provides an own SMTP relay with dedicated ranges which can be accessed only by Gmail. It is inaccessible for standalone email clients; the whole service is built around Gmail.

Naturally, all of this can be done with any email service. Many use Migadu for the same, but we found it wasteful as the heavy lifting really happens in Gmail. That is why we also price it accordingly - $6.99 / year for the whole domain.

Probably more than you wanted to know =)

• @dejan ChatGPT version, FYI.

(first prompt it started giving me a sermon on how I was wrong and how gmailify was a gmail feature..) we begin from Trial II.

There appears to be a service called https://www.gmailify.com/

My apologies for the confusion earlier. It seems that "Gmailify" is also the name of a separate service unrelated to the Gmailify feature by Google.

Gmailify.com is an email forwarding service that allows you to create a custom email address with your domain name and have emails forwarded to your Gmail account. This way, you can maintain a professional email address with your domain name while still enjoying Gmail's features and interface for managing your emails.

Here's a general outline of how to use the Gmailify.com service:

• Visit https://www.gmailify.com/ and sign up for an account.
    • Follow the instructions to verify your domain ownership.
    • Set up MX records for your domain based on the information provided by Gmailify.com. You'll typically do this through your domain registrar or DNS hosting service.
    • Create your custom email address (e.g., [email protected]) within the Gmailify.com dashboard.
    • Configure the forwarding settings to forward incoming emails to your existing Gmail account.
    • Once you've set up Gmailify.com, you'll be able to receive emails sent to your custom domain email address directly in your Gmail inbox. Note that this service is focused on forwarding emails to Gmail, and you'll need to configure "Send mail as" settings in Gmail if you want to send emails from your custom domain address using your Gmail account.
    Thanked by (1)dejan
  • Migadu vs mxroute in deliverability. How good is migadu?

edited March 2023

@legendary said:
    Migadu vs mxroute in deliverability. How good is migadu?

It depends on many factors, starting from the sender's domain and content. It is not something that can be compared directly. I have noticed jared is active so probably takes good care of own IP space and abusers. We do too. Occasionally there is a bad apple here and there that gets us a blocklist entry, but we're quick to sanction and repair those. However, those that still depend on archaic blocklists today are probably not the ones whose deliveries matter. There is a good reason blocklists don't play well with IPv6.

The helping factor for Migadu is the limited daily quota. Spammers and abusers announce themselves quite fast. MXRoute for sure has own mechanisms.

• just hearing about migadu and gmailify here from my cave.. seems a very nice concept, would love to try them in the near future

Thanked by (1)dejan
    • Once you've set up Gmailify.com, you'll be able to receive emails sent to your custom domain email address directly in your Gmail inbox. Note that this service is focused on forwarding emails to Gmail, and you'll need to configure "Send mail as" settings in Gmail if you want to send emails from your custom domain address using your Gmail account.

Thanks! It's wrong about that one though, focus is also on sending.

• @dejan said:

Thanks! It's wrong about that one though, focus is also on sending.

indeed, sometimes chatGPT gets drunk and starts imagining things. It does take feedback well. Not sure how often it updates the database though. Cheers.

Thanked by (1)dejan
  • welcum!

Thanked by (1)dejan
  • edited March 2023

@dejan said:

@legendary said:

It depends on many factors, starting from the sender's domain and content. It is not something that can be compared directly. I have noticed jared is active so probably takes good care of own IP space and abusers. We do too. Occasionally there is a bad apple here and there that gets us a blocklist entry, but we're quick to sanction and repair those. However, those that still depend on archaic blocklists today are probably not the ones whose deliveries matter. There is a good reason blocklists don't play well with IPv6.

The helping factor for Migadu is the limited daily quota. Spammers and abusers announce themselves quite fast. MXRoute for sure has own mechanisms.

Sorry, but the answer was from GPT? Please provide detailed description of migadu smtp architecture. Where can I find your RBL?

• Gmailify, very interesting. Do you provide whitelabel solution so we can resell it?

Thanked by (1)dejan

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited March 2023

@legendary said:

@dejan said:

@legendary said:

Sorry, but the answer was from GPT? Please provide detailed description of migadu smtp architecture. Where can I find your RBL?

ChatGPT response was for gmailify in case that point was missed or overlooked inadvertently.

• @ElonBezos said:
    just hearing about migadu and gmailify here from my cave.. seems a very nice concept, would love to try them in the near future

Stay out of my caves ya weirdo! I am sick of having to chase weirdos out of my caves!!! :p

Thanked by (3)FrankZ ElonBezos skorous

@legendary said:

No, it was authentic :) We do not use or have own RBLs. We will block only temporarily crazy bursts but that clears automatically. RBLs are very last millennium.

@Dazzle said:
    Gmailify, very interesting. Do you provide whitelabel solution so we can resell it?

We're working on it. I will announce it here when ready.

Thanked by (2)Dazzle loay
  • edited March 2023

Of course gmailify is a great idea, but for lowend users it's a bit overpriced in case when he has more than 2 domains.

"Non-negative valued" LE-user with mxroute's promo can build his own gmailify for "unlimited" domains for $10-15/year. And "negative -valued" usually can set own mail-server for free.

So may be you can think about a more affordable offer for users with multiple domains on gmailify.

Thanked by (1)dejan
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@dejan said: If anyone from LES wants to use Migadu, we'll be happy to attach 50% off for life, just ask before upgrading via support mentioning me, I will let the team know.

Thanks! Requested! :)

Thanked by (2)dejan ialexpw

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

edited March 2023

@dusst said:
    Of course gmailify is a great idea, but for lowend users it's a bit overpriced in case when he has more than 2 domains.

Domain aliases are supported and not limited. Separate domains though require separate accounts indeed.

"Non-negative valued" LE-user with mxroute's promo can build his own gmailify for "unlimited" domains for $10-15/year. And "negative -valued" usually can set own mail-server for free.

Many users do this with Migadu's $19/yearly plan which has no domains limit. The issue is in reliability. If you want to forward to Gmail reliably, it should not go over generic forwarders. Gmailify is tied to Gmail only, both forwarders and outgoing relays. No direct SMTP access. There is a good reason for that.

But absolutely agreed. One can orchestrate that differently. We made Gmailify so one does not have to, and most users do that with a single domain.

Thanked by (1)dusst
  • Welcome! Love your services, keep being awesome ;)

Thanked by (2)Ympker dejan
  • Interesting...

KangServer.id - Doing some benchmarks on VPS / Server
    LowEnd VPS Deals - LowEnd / Cheap VPS Deals

• I've red self-indoctrination...