World Backup Day Thread 🔥

m4num4nu Hosting Provider
edited March 2023 in General

It's that day of the year again. 🤩 Time to check on missing and existing backups.

This year I focused on existing backups and did a short checklist on what usually goes wrong. Just the headlines:

1. Backups are happening
  2. Backups are happening often enough
  3. Backups contain the expected data
  4. Backups are independent (enough) from the source data
  5. Backups are safe from modification

Those are the main ones based on my experience from common BorgBase support emails and client work on managed servers and office backups we also do.

How was your previous year in relation to backups? Any data loss from LET providers, bad luck or stupidity? Looking forward to hear some stories from the trenches. 🙌

Simple and secure Borg Backup hosting from $2/month: BorgBase.com

Thanked by (4)Wolveix bdl ehab havoc

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Really happy I decided to buy Aomei Backupper Pro some years ago. Has been working solid and recently added Outlook backup feature, too :)

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Check in with your loved ones too - chances are they have high value content (family pictures) and no clue on how to do backups. Be sure not to overwhelm them with technical stuff

Thanked by (3)Ympker rcy026 imok
  • m4num4nu Hosting Provider

@havoc said:
    Check in with your loved ones too - chances are they have high value content (family pictures) and no clue on how to do backups. Be sure not to overwhelm them with technical stuff

Good one. My parents have all family pictures on a 10-year old USB NAS drive. 😬

Simple and secure Borg Backup hosting from $2/month: BorgBase.com

• WTH? I thought it was @ehab day.

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • edited March 2023

@m4nu said:

@havoc said:

Good one. My parents have all family pictures on a 10-year old USB NAS drive. 😬

Mine ain't usb, but the drives are closing on 12 years now. Maybe time to replace them 🙈

• @shallow said:
    WTH? I thought it was @ehab day.

• @shallow said:

Every day is @ehab day.

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • @Mumbly said:

@shallow said:

Every day is @ehab day.

• rsync + rclone + syncthing + bunch of cheap VPS from LES. more than enough to cover 3-2-1

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.