๐ŸŽ‰ C1V's 15th Anniversary Extravaganza: Unbeatable Virtual Server Offer for One Day Only! ๐ŸŽ

13ยป

Comments

• @skorous said:

@chris said:

@c1vhosting said:

@cmeerw said:

@c1vhosting said:

@cmeerw said:

@cmeerw said: Still waiting for their support to clarify how I can pay by credit card (which needs to be without any additional surcharges thanks to PSD2)

Complete silence from their side, just automated replies from the ticket system.

Your question is being checked by our Legal. Thanks for your report .

Which one? The one about unfair pricing and payment surcharges (#672554) or the one about withdrawing from an online order within 14 days (when no service has been provided yet anyway) (#991211)?

The first :)

I'd have a look at PayPals TOS - it's fairly straightforward to understand, You simply can't charge them - bake it into your pricing like all others do, maybe discount longer terms where you save fees to encourage it

A higher price is better than no PayPal account when someone reports you, it's a very short sighted way to run a business

This assumes of course that PayPal would do anything. Visa/MC used to have the same thing in their TOS until they lost a lawsuit about it.

EDIT: Fact checked myself and I may be half-remembering this wrong.

Yeah afaik PayPal do enforce it, nice work on the self admonishment though ๐Ÿ˜ That's an admirable trait!

• @chris said: Yeah afaik PayPal do enforce it

Posted something related to this a few months ago.

https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/124331/#Comment_124331

Thanked by (1)chris

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @chris said:

@skorous said:

@chris said:

@c1vhosting said:

@cmeerw said:

@c1vhosting said:

@cmeerw said:

@cmeerw said: Still waiting for their support to clarify how I can pay by credit card (which needs to be without any additional surcharges thanks to PSD2)

Complete silence from their side, just automated replies from the ticket system.

Which one? The one about unfair pricing and payment surcharges (#672554) or the one about withdrawing from an online order within 14 days (when no service has been provided yet anyway) (#991211)?

I'd have a look at PayPals TOS - it's fairly straightforward to understand, You simply can't charge them - bake it into your pricing like all others do, maybe discount longer terms where you save fees to encourage it

A higher price is better than no PayPal account when someone reports you, it's a very short sighted way to run a business

This assumes of course that PayPal would do anything. Visa/MC used to have the same thing in their TOS until they lost a lawsuit about it.

Yeah afaik PayPal do enforce it, nice work on the self admonishment though ๐Ÿ˜ That's an admirable trait!

Just to clarify, I didn't admonish myself. I retracted my statement because I didn't have time to fully fact check. It was previously in Visa and Mastercard's TOS. They did settle a law suit about it. I just didn't have time to find it fact earlier. I personally look forward to the day PayPal "settles" a similar lawsuit but I admit to being horribly biased against them.

"As a result of an approved settlement with merchants, effective January 27, 2013, Mastercard agreed to modify its rules to permit U.S. merchants to surcharge Mastercard credit cards, as long as they complied with certain limitations that can be found in the
    modified rule."

• @skorous said:

@chris said:

@skorous said:

@chris said:

@c1vhosting said:

@cmeerw said:

@c1vhosting said:

@cmeerw said:

Just to clarify, I didn't admonish myself. I retracted my statement because I didn't have time to fully fact check. It was previously in Visa and Mastercard's TOS. They did settle a law suit about it. I just didn't have time to find it fact earlier. I personally look forward to the day PayPal "settles" a similar lawsuit but I admit to being horribly biased against them.

"As a result of an approved settlement with merchants, effective January 27, 2013, Mastercard agreed to modify its rules to permit U.S. merchants to surcharge Mastercard credit cards, as long as they complied with certain limitations that can be found in the
    modified rule."

The US is different due to a lack of consumer protection laws in general. In the EU adding a surcharge for paying by card is not permitted (https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/finance-funding/making-receiving-payments/electronic-cash-payments/index_en.htm). Breaking the PayPal TOS is just the cherry on top.

Thanked by (1)chris
  • aquaaqua Hosting Provider

I think this thread should be edit to "C1V's founders 15th Birthday!"

• @aqua said:
    I think this thread should be edit to "C1V's founders 15th Birthday!"

This is what I originally thought it was haha, thought they counted "years in operation" as "years owner has been alive"

• edited April 2023

Or 15th month anniversary of providing hosting, although I'm pretty sure it hasn't been that long yet.

Thanked by (1)chris