I want to install a virtual browser/desktop environment that is accessible in the browser / neko

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Hello everyone,
I wanted to setup some sort of virtual browser/desktop environment that is accessible from any web browser on one of my idle vps to play around with a bit.
I remember some people here mentioned they were using neko ( https://github.com/m1k1o/neko ) for things like this. Reading through GitHub it seems it was originally meant for streaming watch parties etc. Is neko the tool (/droid) I am looking for, or is something else better suited to my use case?

Comments

• edited April 2023

Take a look at Cryb (https://cryb.app/) made by our fellow member @JeDaYoshi :)
    While I haven't tried it (yet), it looks quite promising and comparable to what Rabb.it (now defunct) or Hyperbeam offer.

Apache Guacamole might be a good option too.

Thanked by (3)Ympker JeDaYoshi Erisa
  • I use kasmweb every day.

Thanked by (2)Ympker Erisa
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Any relevance? Posted yesterday on HN, so current comments on 2019 article: Qemu.js – a proof-of-concept port of QEMU to web browser using WASM JIT (2019) | Hacker News.

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited April 2023

@dosai said:
    I use kasmweb every day.

I think I reads somewhere Kasmweb requires at least 50GB disk space, which my vps doesn't have. Is this true, or can it also be deployed on smaller disk?

@Not_Oles said:
    Any relevance? Posted yesterday on HN, so current comments on 2019 article: Qemu.js – a proof-of-concept port of QEMU to web browser using WASM JIT (2019) | Hacker News.

Will have a look, thanks :)

• @Ympker said:

@dosai said:
    I use kasmweb every day.

I think I reads somewhere Kasmweb requires at least 50GB disk space, which my vps doesn't have. Is this true, or can it also be deployed on smaller disk?

While the idea of shared browser is on my to-do list, I have put it on hold precisely because I didn't have the hardware for it. I am not discouraging you from trying it on a VPS, but performance will probably be terrible as hardware/3D acceleration is lacking on most VPS providers. (Keep also an eye on shared resources such as CPU or disk IO)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@rubenmdh said:

@Ympker said:

@dosai said:
    I use kasmweb every day.

While the idea of shared browser is on my to-do list, I have put it on hold precisely because I didn't have the hardware for it. I am not discouraging you from trying it on a VPS, but performance will probably be terrible as hardware/3D acceleration is lacking on most VPS providers. (Keep also an eye on shared resources such as CPU or disk IO)

Alright, will give it a try. I also do have an idling lifetime dedi (something @Falzo would never understand), so I might just try it on that one :D

@Ympker said: I wanted to setup some sort of virtual browser/desktop environment that is accessible from any web browser on one of my idle vps to play around with a bit.

Please help me better understand what you are asking for. Couldn't any remote desktop environment be made accessible from any browser? When you say "virtual browser/desktop environment" does that mean a second browser is involved? Something like a remote browser is looking at an on-VPS browser which is looking at a desktop running on the same VPS as the on-VPS browser? :)

edited April 2023

@Not_Oles said:

@Ympker said: I wanted to setup some sort of virtual browser/desktop environment that is accessible from any web browser on one of my idle vps to play around with a bit.

Please help me better understand what you are asking for. Couldn't any remote desktop environment be made accessible from any browser? When you say "virtual browser/desktop environment" does that mean a second browser is involved? Something like a remote browser is looking at an on-VPS browser which is looking at a desktop running on the same VPS as the on-VPS browser? :)

It's just about going to www.myurl.com and then authenticate in some way (so it isn't publicly accessible) whereafter I want to have some sort of browser/desktop environment I can use in the browser (from any browser I open up and type in my url).
    Just wanted to give it a try and see what's the difference in feel/usage compared to rdp.

When I look at the gifs in neko github, it looks like pretty much what I imagined I would get, so I will likely try it.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @rubenmdh said:
    Take a look at Cryb (https://cryb.app/) made by our fellow member @JeDaYoshi :)
    While I haven't tried it (yet), it looks quite promising and comparable to what Rabb.it (now defunct) or Hyperbeam offer.

Apache Guacamole might be a good option too.

Feels odd to being mentioned around in here! But appreciate the shout-out :)

Anyway, at least when it comes to Cryb, it spins up "disposable browsers". They're restricted to, pretty much mostly a browser, and data is not persisted - once the VM is stopped, it's gone. n.eko can actually persist data, and has a variety of other applications, but it's locked to "one session per instance", whereas with Cryb, it can spin up multiple VMs.

Thing is, like @Not_Oles mentions, I'm unsure what @Ympker exactly wants. Might be worth elaborating a bit further in there to have a better idea :)

But here's a suggestion: You don't want to run this on a cheap VPS. If you want a smooth experience, you want to go with video streaming and not the usual solutions that use VNC or similar, and video encoding is the kind of CPU usage VirMach would get pissed off at you for on their VPSes. Might want more than 2 cores, too.
    CPU-based encoding is doable and works fine, even on VPSes; just needs a decent CPU with some threads it can eat up for that :)

• edited April 2023

@Ympker said:

@Not_Oles said:

It's just about going to www.myurl.com and then authenticate in some way (so it isn't publicly accessible) whereafter I want to have some sort of browser/desktop environment I can use in the browser (from any browser I open up and type in my url).
    Just wanted to give it a try and see what's the difference in feel/usage compared to rdp.

When I look at the gifs in neko github, it looks like pretty much what I imagined I would get, so I will likely try it.

Alright, ninja'd. Maybe I should refresh the page before posting my comments.

If you don't want a "once I'm done I want this gone" or "I want multiple users to log in with their accounts and such" experience, n.eko will work fine for your use-case. You can just lock it with a password you'd need to enter to connect in. But again it's going to require some CPU :P

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@JeDaYoshi said:

@Ympker said:

@Not_Oles said:

If you don't want a "once I'm done I want this gone" or "I want multiple users to log in with their accounts and such" experience, n.eko will work fine for your use-case. You can just lock it with a password you'd need to enter to connect in. But again it's going to require some CPU :P

Haha thanks for chiming in! I plan to try this on an idling lifetime dedi from Cloudcone, or maybe Greencloudvps I have mostly idling.
    Will check out both options I guess :)

@JeDaYoshi said: it's going to require some CPU :P

@Ympker I know you have a VPS on which to try this, but, if the VPS doesn't have the video resources you need, maybe you could try on my i9-13900? It's fine either way, but you always are welcome if you want.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Not_Oles said:

@JeDaYoshi said: it's going to require some CPU :P

@Ympker I know you have a VPS on which to try this, but, if the VPS doesn't have the video resources you need, maybe you could try on my i9-13900? It's fine either way, but you always are welcome if you want.

Thanks, mate. I'll try on my machines first, but if it won't work, I'll happily take you up on the offer :)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • dosaidosai OG
    edited April 2023

@Ympker said:

@dosai said:
    I use kasmweb every day.

@Not_Oles said:

Will have a look, thanks :)

Give this a try, Firefox image based on kasmvnc, it runs lighter.

https://docs.linuxserver.io/images/docker-firefox

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Ympker said:

@JeDaYoshi said:

@Ympker said:

@Not_Oles said:

an idling lifetime dedi from Cloudcone, or

When did this happen any more details?

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Want free vps ? https://microlxc.net

edited April 2023

@codelock said:

@Ympker said:

@JeDaYoshi said:

@Ympker said:

@Not_Oles said:

an idling lifetime dedi from Cloudcone, or

When did this happen any more details?

Anniversary giveaway. It's not a 100% idling, but let's just say I put Proxmox on it, setup some LXC boxes, deleted some and now only a few remain, so lots of resources I could use. Since I am in EU and the server is US I didn't make so much use of it (yet). Neko might be something perfectly fit for trying out on the dedi. Performance has been stellar so far :) The past year has also been a busy one for me so I didn't have much time to come up with some use cases. Hopefully this changes this year :)

It was this one:

This ENTERPRISE-GRADE Dedicated server with

Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1240 (4 cores, 8 threads)
    16 GB RAM
    1 TB SSD disk
    15TB at 1Gbps bandwidth

Thanked by (2)root rubenmdh
  • Maybe vnc server and apache guacamole?

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

Haven't seen anything close to kasm in terms of experience. Substantially better than vnc/guac

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Since you are already planning to installing a GUI environment, why not just install noVnc? It's browser based VNC client and runs completely from your server. However as others have mentioned, VNC performance is laggy. In my experience, a proper VNC client runs much faster.

Not sure why you want to use @neko but if you do want to use a LES member, I recommend @Nekki :p

Thanked by (2)Ympker Erisa

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• @somik said:
    Since you are already planning to installing a GUI environment, why not just install noVnc? It's browser based VNC client and runs completely from your server. However as others have mentioned, VNC performance is laggy. In my experience, a proper VNC client runs much faster.

Not sure why you want to use @neko but if you do want to use a LES member, I recommend @Nekki :p

I am available for all your desktop needs, also children’s parties.

@Nekki said:

@somik said:
    Since you are already planning to installing a GUI environment, why not just install noVnc? It's browser based VNC client and runs completely from your server. However as others have mentioned, VNC performance is laggy. In my experience, a proper VNC client runs much faster.

What's your rate?

• @Ympker said:

@Nekki said:

@somik said:

What's your rate?

Probably 5 a day, one first thing, one in the shower in the evening, at least another 3 throughout the day. I’ve got a thing for newsreaders at the moment, the dirty news-reading sluts.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Nekki said:
    Probably 5 a day, one first thing, one in the shower in the evening, at least another 3 throughout the day. I’ve got a thing for newsreaders at the moment, the dirty news-reading sluts.

You might want to clarify your preferred gender as well...

Thanked by (1)Ympker

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• @somik said:

@Nekki said:

You might want to clarify your preferred gender as well...

My only preference is for nasty.

• Guacamole will be the best if you have more than one vm.

• alexxggalexxgg OG
    edited May 2023

This may work: OneClickDesktop.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Kind of opposite of what you ask but useful anyway. Graphical remote browser in terminal. Even youtube works in terminal. Must try at least for its novelty. https://github.com/fathyb/carbonyl

Thanked by (4)Ympker huginn cochon FrankZ

@mee2 said:
    Kind of opposite of what you ask but useful anyway. Graphical remote browser in terminal. Even youtube works in terminal. Must try at least for its novelty. https://github.com/fathyb/carbonyl

Looks fun, lol.