OVH does account verification, don't use when in a hurry!

edited May 2023 in Reviews

So I needed a domain in a hurry and went for a cheap .ovh domain because why not, right? Well it has been over 120 minutes since they took my money and order is still being "validated"...

I know, it give it time... but I just checked the email I go and it says

Generally, this takes around 48 hours.

Is that for real??? should I just cancel the order and get it somewhere else??

Edit by FrankZ: Moved from General to Reviews. Title changed from:

Note to self, don't use OVH when in a hurry!

Comments

• AsimAsim OGServices Provider

Im confused, are you referring to the "ovh" domain name or the "ovh" services in general when you say "don't use OVH when in a hurry?"

• @Asim said:
    Im confused, are you referring to the "ovh" domain name or the "ovh" services in general when you say "don't use OVH when in a hurry?"

i'm guessing ovh in general cause they need to validate their clients?

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• @Asim said:

In this case, both. Got an .ovh domain with ovhcloud

• @somik said:

@Asim said:

so this is usual operating procedure with them? had no idea... I'm used to getting the domain right away but I thought the price made sense for what I needed it

• @nergar said:

@somik said:

@Asim said:

so this is usual operating procedure with them? had no idea... I'm used to getting the domain right away but I thought the price made sense for what I needed it

As long as you have a account with them, they wont need to verify it again the next time you buy from them. Again, I do not own a ovh cloud account, so cannot confirm this, but this is the procedure for Oracle Cloud, AWS and other reputable service providers. The first signup requires account verification before service is activated. Subsequent ones are immediate.

Thanked by (1)RapToN

• I guess that's what I get for going to a cloud provider for just a quick domain. I'm going to cancel and just get it someplace else

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited May 2023

First payment / new account?

• @nergar said:
    I guess that's what I get for going to a cloud provider for just a quick domain. I'm going to cancel and just get it someplace else

If this is your first account with them, then they will need to go through their account verification procedure, even if it's just a domain that you ordered

Once your account is verified, if you order a second time, it will be quick

How long the account verification procedure will take depends on the correctness of your contact details, where you live, etc.

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• somiksomik OG
    edited May 2023

@angstrom said:

@nergar said:
    I guess that's what I get for going to a cloud provider for just a quick domain. I'm going to cancel and just get it someplace else

If this is your first account with them, then they will need to go through their account verification procedure, even if it's just a domain that you ordered

Once your account is verified, if you order a second time, it will be quick

How long the account verification procedure will take depends on the correctness of your contact details, where you live, etc.

For one of the cloud providers, they called my phone and then sent a letter to my registered address to verify. My account was live after the phone verification, but I had to do the address verification within 30 days of signup to keep my account.

• @Neoon said:
    First payment / new account?

Yes, exactly. New customer.

Last night I decided to give them until morning and I was about to cancel when I got another email asking for ID and proof of billing info. I sent that stuff and got an email back in like a couple of minutes telling me order is now confirmed.

@angstrom said: Once your account is verified, if you order a second time, it will be quick

Yes, that's why I decided I might as well wait, I will probably need something else in the future.

@somik said: sent a letter to my registered address to verify

oh wow... I would probably get my account cancelled because of my local postal service

• edited May 2023

For me, a couple (or more) years ago, i wanted to register a domain via OVH, but they requested verification, by sending them my ID.
    I declined.

With Hetzher on the other hand, i sent them photos of my ID, myself holding a PorhHub Hetzner sign and a date, a picture of my payment card as well and it was ok.

• it's common practice to verify clients' identity. Basically all big companies will do this.

• @dwight said:
    it's common practice to verify clients' identity. Basically all big companies will do this.

I think it probably depends on a lot of risk factors; I've never had any company demand ID outside of my credit card, but then I'm also based in the UK and not signing up through a VPN so I probably get fewer initial flags.

• @ahnlak said:

@dwight said:
    it's common practice to verify clients' identity. Basically all big companies will do this.

I think it probably depends on a lot of risk factors; I've never had any company demand ID outside of my credit card, but then I'm also based in the UK and not signing up through a VPN so I probably get fewer initial flags.

Try signing up with Webtropia in germany.

• Faced this exact same issue when I tried to purchase a domain last year. If you do not get it within 10 mins of purchase, it means your order has been rejected. OVH dash is so bad, even if it's rejected, it will show was processing. I had to contact OVH_APAC dude on LET multiple times to process my order.
    First time rejected for incomplete address (I used abbreviations for City and State)
    Second time because my last name was short 🤣
    But both these times, dashboard showed processing, with no signs of rejection, when internally it had already been so.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited June 2023

@sh97 said:
    Faced this exact same issue when I tried to purchase a domain last year. If you do not get it within 10 mins of purchase, it means your order has been rejected. OVH dash is so bad, even if it's rejected, it will show was processing. I had to contact OVH_APAC dude on LET multiple times to process my order.
    First time rejected for incomplete address (I used abbreviations for City and State)
    But both these times, dashboard showed processing, with no signs of rejection, when internally it had already been so.

Does not surprise me, these days its highly automated.
    I saw cases where streets have been build a few weeks ago, it wasn't on the local post company maps.

They basically failed to deliver packages, because their system said, the street does not exist.
    Despite its there and on google maps, which they are not allowed to use for retarded reasons.

• @Neoon said:

@sh97 said:
    Faced this exact same issue when I tried to purchase a domain last year. If you do not get it within 10 mins of purchase, it means your order has been rejected. OVH dash is so bad, even if it's rejected, it will show was processing. I had to contact OVH_APAC dude on LET multiple times to process my order.

Does not surprise me, these days its highly automated.
    I saw cases where streets have been build a few weeks ago, it wasn't on the local post company maps.

They basically failed to deliver packages, because their system said, the street does not exist.
    Despite its there and on google maps, which they are not allowed to use for retarded reasons.

Automation is fine, but imo it should show actual status instead, rather than showing processing when it's clearly failed, in this case.

• @dwight said:

What really bothers me is data breaches. I don't mind if my email and some random password gets leaked but my ID is a whole different sport. For example I asked OVH how they handled my data and they said:

These are only used internally within OVH services. Furthermore, once the ticket is closed, the documents will no longer be accessible.

No longer accessible? But does that mean they keep them? I'm waiting for an answer

• @nergar said:

@dwight said:

What really bothers me is data breaches. I don't mind if my email and some random password gets leaked but my ID is a whole different sport. For example I asked OVH how they handled my data and they said:

These are only used internally within OVH services. Furthermore, once the ticket is closed, the documents will no longer be accessible.

No longer accessible? But does that mean they keep them? I'm waiting for an answer

If you start working, you'll have more worries. They'll require your ID as well as all of your certificates, both educational and professional. Data breach = all out in open.

• @nergar said:

@dwight said:

Naturally, they'll keep your verified contact details, but they won't keep photos of your ID or similar. They may keep the latter for a few weeks at the beginning (depending on their internal policy), but they won't keep them permanently

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @nergar said:

Yes. That's why I hate ID verification. I prefer they can use some well-known service like idenfy to verify.