Google sells domain registrar business to Squarespace

https://9to5google.com/2023/06/15/google-domains-squarespace/

I used to like Google and their products but when they repeatedly just drops entire productlines like this it makes it a bit risky to use them for anything even close to enterprise stuff.

Thanked by (1)hostaspace

Comments

• Google just jumping in and out of such business does not makes sense.. same happened with free hosting stuff.. Guess what happens when google cloud closes ??

• @webhostinguk said:
    Google just jumping in and out of such business does not makes sense.. same happened with free hosting stuff.. Guess what happens when google cloud closes ??

One reason why Microsoft has survived for so long is because Google is so fickle that nobody can really commit to a Google product if they don't want the rug pulled under them. That's why Azure is #2 after AWS and not GCP.

Look at messaging: Apple committed to iMessage, Microsoft stuck with Teams while different than iMessage still dominates in companies. Google tried many messaging platforms and they all failed, and no wonder why everyone in the US has an iPhone (except me!).

Companies want long-term investment in IT, and if Google doesn't give that, they won't use Google, well maybe other than Chrome or Android.

• I hear Squarespace from almost everywhere. Yet, I don't even know what they do.

Not sure whether they (Squarespace) are doing a good job advertising themselves. Doesn't mater tho cuz the end is dicking nigh.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• armandorgarmandorg Services Provider

I don't know why but i was tihnking of this when i first read the news hehe!

Web Design Agency - Custom Web Designs
    WHMCS.design - WHMCS Themes | Blesta.shop - Blesta Themes

• @webhostinguk said:
    Google just jumping in and out of such business does not makes sense..

Agreed. While it is very on brand for Google to axe products, I always figured this one would be immune to that -- the kind of business they would stay in for the optics and prestige if nothing else.

• edited June 2023

A really graphical site to check out Google graveyard (with a killstreak of 286 already!)
    https://killedbygoogle.com/

• @rubenmdh said:

A really graphical site to check out Google graveyard (with a killstreak of 286 already!)
    https://killedbygoogle.com/

Last I checked, google is one of the most "popular" killers of it's own branches that does not generate enough profit. In most cases, they just abandon the project and move the people elsewhere or sack them outright. In other cases, they sold off the project.

However google isn't alone in this and MANY MANY other companies does it. They may even have a higher kill count, but they are not as popular as google so no one cares.

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• edited June 2023

@somik said: They may even have a higher kill count, but they are not as popular as google so no one cares.

This sound contradictory and hardly possible. I am wondering how many users had someting like Picasa or Orkut solely.

Among 250+ kills you find projects like Google Picasa, Google+, goo.lg, Google Nexus, Orkut (at some point one of the most visited website in Brazil and India), Google Talk, Hangouts, email client Inbox, Google Reader ... used by millions and millions.

• @Mumbly said:

@somik said: They may even have a higher kill count, but they are not as popular as google so no one cares.

This sound contradictory and hardly possible. I am wondering how many users had someting like Picasa or Orkut solely.

Among 250+ kills you find projects like Google Picasa, Google+, goo.lg, Google Nexus, Orkut (at some point one of the most visited website in Brazil and India), Google Talk, Hangouts, email client Inbox, Google Reader ... used by millions and millions.

In terms of user base, I guess google's products were higher. I am talking in terms of application count, not user base.

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• @neelc said:

@webhostinguk said:
    Google just jumping in and out of such business does not makes sense.. same happened with free hosting stuff.. Guess what happens when google cloud closes ??

One reason why Microsoft has survived for so long is because Google is so fickle that nobody can really commit to a Google product if they don't want the rug pulled under them. That's why Azure is #2 after AWS and not GCP.

Look at messaging: Apple committed to iMessage, Microsoft stuck with Teams while different than iMessage still dominates in companies. Google tried many messaging platforms and they all failed, and no wonder why everyone in the US has an iPhone (except me!).

Companies want long-term investment in IT, and if Google doesn't give that, they won't use Google, well maybe other than Chrome or Android.

Thats the only reason I stick with MS product line at least never worried about ms abandoned in between like google. Where are the people who said Google is the best registrar? wait gmail for business and so on =)

@deank said: I hear Squarespace from almost everywhere.

yea @deank speedfreak is right... almost all youtubers video are sponsored by ShitSpace.

Thanked by (1)neelc
  • Lucky I renewed a few domains a few weeks ago. Now I need to find a new registrar that doesn't overcharge for domains.

And google seems so focused in alienating people lately it's mind boggling

• ScalebladeScaleblade Hosting Provider

Google has been a hot mess recently.
    I was fortunate enough to be able to transfer all of our google domains out to Cloudflare pretty much when the news dropped about them selling to squarespace. That being said we still use Workspace for our corporate emails, etc.

It does make me wonder how stable Google is going to be going forward as a viable option for long term business solutions.

@neelc said: One reason why Microsoft has survived for so long is because Google is so fickle that nobody can really commit to a Google product if they don't want the rug pulled under them.

Microsoft would be the natural alternative, however I just don't think they have hit the mark for ease of use and synergy between products like Google has.

From Squarespace's perspective this deal is a no-brainer imo. $100 odd milly for 10 million domains, works well with their existing platform and will probably have a pretty high conversion rate after the more fickle domain'eers (like myself) move off.

• I'd be curious to know just how many customers transferred their domain(s) out after hearing the news.

Pretty sure it was a high percentage.

SimpleSonic - We Make Fast... Easy!
    New High Performance Economy Shared Hosting Plans Available As Low As $1.46/mo

• Registering .net and .me domains in Google's domain is a very cost-effective choice.