Skhron introduction

skhronskhron Hosting Provider
edited July 2023 in General

Hello, LES community! We are pleased to introduce ourselves, a new hosting provider powered by family business.

By family business I mean exactly what it is - Skhron is being operated by me (Serhii) and my father (Denys). I am responsible for almost all technical related duties, while my father helps me to run business and do it legally - paying taxes, signing contracts, etc.

I am passionate about system administration. And I am not joking for a moment - my personal devices (laptop and dedicated server) are running Gentoo GNU/Linux :3

One more thing about me - I dislike traditional marketing constraints and PR strategies. And I hate when someone has some limitations they are conceal on purpose. That is why at Skhron we try to be transparent as much as possible in our prohibitions and restrictions.

Unfortunately, we operate relatively small budget, thus we do not have own ASN, however we do have one own dedicated server for KVM VPS as well as tiny leased IPv4/IPv6 address space.

If you are interested, the server specifications are given below:

Platform: Supermicro SYS-1029P-WTRT

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon Silver 4114 10x2.2GHz
RAM: 4x 32GB DDR4-2666 ECC Registered
OS storage: 2x 128GB SSD Supermicro SuperDOM (combined into RAID1)
VPS storage: 6x 960GB Samsung PM863a (combined into RAID10)
LSI 3008-8i HBA 8 ports SAS 12Gb/s

Don't hesitate to reach me here if you have any questions.

Comments

• just wanted to say
    take off your pants
    first welcome to LES

did i get right you will be making offers? or is it for free?

• skhronskhron Hosting Provider
    edited July 2023

@ehab said: did i get right you will be making offers? or is it for free?

Currently we do not have free offers (however I am thinking about one, exclusive for LES) and posting paid offers is not allowed without hosting provider tag

Thanked by (2)Ympker skorous
  • exclusives are always welcome.

• welcome!
    looking forward to you getting the provider tag and giving us some dealzz! :)

Thanked by (2)skhron Not_Oles
  • Welcome to the LES forum! Feel like at home !

Thanked by (1)skhron

Dentistry is my passion

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Hi @skhron!

Welcome to LES! I hope you enjoy this happy place!

That's interesting about Gentoo. Last I checked one could use Gentoo without systemd. Are you using systemd? Why or why not? [I'm not trying to push for any viewpoint, just curious about what you think.]

Do you want to share where your server is collated and the cost of the server itself as well as the cost of colocation?

Best wishes!

Tom

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

edited July 2023

@Not_Oles said: Are you using systemd? Why or why not? [I'm not trying to push for any viewpoint, just curious about what you think.]

I am using Gentoo with OpenRC only because I am fan of minimalism. Furthermore I have installed Gentoo few years ago just because I wanted to try use system which is tailored exactly for my needs without unnecessary parts. I have tweaked enabled USE-flags, installed tiling wm (i3wm) instead of common DE (Gnome, KDE, MATE etc.), and configured the least kernel config which includes only necessary features and device modules.

@Not_Oles said: Do you want to share where your server is collated and the cost of the server itself as well as the cost of colocation?

The Supermicro server I have previously mentioned here which is used to host customers' KVM VPS is hosted at Equinix WA3. I have bought it for 2.000USD. Unfortunately, colo is pricey - currently it is around 140EUR/mo for this server.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @ehab said: take off your pants

Yo take me in

smartass shitposting satirist

• @Flying_Chinaman said:

@ehab said: take off your pants

Yo take me in

Thanked by (1)Flying_Chinaman
  • To save you from googling, it is in Warsaw (Poland).

You're welcome.

Thanked by (2)ehab cybertech

The all seeing eye sees everything...

Thanks for your replies. I do think I appreciate your attraction to Gentoo because of many good reasons, including all the reasons you mentioned. At Equinix, can you get your single server colocated directly with them?

@Not_Oles said: At Equinix, can you get your single server colocated directly with them?

Unfortunately, I am colocating through an intermediary. When reaching them directly the price will be even higher, they provide some volume discount.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Well, a good intermediary can be a tremendous advantage! Would it be too crazy for me to imagine that you might want to share the name of your intermediary at Equinix? Thanks!

edited July 2023

@Not_Oles said:
    Well, a good intermediary can be a tremendous advantage! Would it be too crazy for me to imagine that you might want to share the name of your intermediary at Equinix? Thanks!

They are hostzealot (aff)

Thanked by (2)linveo Not_Oles
  • linveolinveo Hosting ProviderOG

@skhron said: SYS-1029P-WTRT
    They are hostzealot (aff)

That's a pretty cool graphic for ordering colo services. Welcome aboard!

linveo.com | Shared Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers

Oh! Okay. Interesting. I need to Google around about hostzealot.

If it's okay with you, I am going to ask a few more questions.

• Do you have a website? If yes, please do share the link.

• Have you made a financial projection? Can you please share your calculations about how many VPSes you need/expect/hope to sell, for what price, and for what amount of profit monthly? [When I first started selling VPSes here I posted my numbers.]

Thanks!

@Not_Oles said: Do you have a website? If yes, please do share the link.

https://skhron.com.ua/

@Not_Oles said: Have you made a financial projection? Can you please share your calculations about how many VPSes you need/expect/hope to sell, for what price, and for what amount of profit monthly? [When I first started selling VPSes here I posted my numbers.]

I need about 160 Nano-1 VPS to start gaining profit. I would prefer to not post exact numbers and calculations.

Oh! Now I see that your website https://skhron.com.ua/ is in your signature! :)

@skhron said: I would prefer to not post exact numbers

Okay. I wish you good luck! Please let me know if there is anything I could do to help.

Thanked by (2)skhron FrankZ

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hi @skhron!

Welcome to LES! I hope you enjoy this happy place!

That's interesting about Gentoo. Last I checked one could use Gentoo without systemd. Are you using systemd? Why or why not? [I'm not trying to push for any viewpoint, just curious about what you think.]

Do you want to share where your server is collated and the cost of the server itself as well as the cost of colocation?

Best wishes!

Tom

imo openrc boots and works faster than systemd, didnt benchmark anything, just saying that based on my eyes

i did install gentoo once, baremetal, liked it. also used runit with alpine but didnt see a diff with openrc

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited July 2023

Hello and welcome to LES.

Your first discussion was very creative to say the least.

Good luck with your business.

I'm not a marketing genius, so take this with a grain of salt:
    Transparency and laying cards on the table is good (at least in my opinion & experience). It may be a good idea to create and "About us" page on your portal, so even people who don't visit LES can see this.

Thinking out loud:
    For some reason, hosting providers seem to think it's bad for marketing (or privacy), but I think that if you are making something good, you should be proud to put your name and photo on it. Again, this is not usual even for the reputable providers who've been long in the business. I still don't understand why. Maybe I'm just too old(fashioned).

Relja

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles skhron

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Welcome. You should apply and get a "provider" tag while you are here.

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

edited July 2023

@somik said:
    Welcome. You should apply and get a "provider" tag while you are here.

Sure, but as per rules account must be at least one week old :#

Thanked by (1)skorous
  • @skhron said:

@somik said:
    Welcome. You should apply and get a "provider" tag while you are here.

Sure, but as per rules account must be at least one week old :#

Ah, ya, the anti spam and anti fraud protection. Well, see your tag in a week then :lol:

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• alentoalento Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@Not_Oles said:

• Have you made a financial projection? Can you please share your calculations about how many VPSes you need/expect/hope to sell, for what price, and for what amount of profit monthly? [When I first started selling VPSes here I posted my numbers.]

Thanks!

Sorry to go OT in this thread ... but @Not_Oles could you share a link to this post you made. I'd love to see it, thanks!

Recommended providers: BuyVM - MXroute - LunaNode - Forpsi - IntoVPS
    Contact me for all of your Mail-in-a-Box email hosting needs at AnyDomain. I am also a proud reseller of MXroute email.

• alentoalento Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@skhron Welcome to LES! I am anxiously awaiting your first LES Exclusive Offer.

Thanked by (1)skhron

Recommended providers: BuyVM - MXroute - LunaNode - Forpsi - IntoVPS
    Contact me for all of your Mail-in-a-Box email hosting needs at AnyDomain. I am also a proud reseller of MXroute email.

@alento said: I am anxiously awaiting your first LES Exclusive Offer

Well, technically, it already was =)