.COM Renewal Pricing at NameSilo increasing 25%

2»

Comments

• @somik said:

@tetech said:

@somik said: Since you NEED the domain and are willing to pay, i do not see a issue.

I will buy you some vision aids with the money I save from moving to another registrar =)

Appreciate it! Here in SG, prescription glasses starts from $200 :lol:

@bikegremlin said:

@somik said:

@alento said:

@tetech said:
    I'm in the Namesilo discount program so it is $11.95 with free WHOIS privacy. Does porkbun have free WHOIS privacy? I'm not willing to go with CF for the DNS reasons, so exploring other options.

The thing nobody is talking about is that .com renewals will be $13.95 a year ... whether you are in the discount program, or not. This is my motivation to head for the exit ... but as a reseller of domains, where to go?

If you NEED a .com domain, you should be willing to pay $14 per year if you want it to last more then a year. If you are using it to make money, then it's not a issue.

Otherwise just get a cheap domain with different extension. You can get a domain for 10 years at or bellow $50.

There are sites that have existed for years. Not every good site is making money. Sure, you can 301 your site to a cheaper domain, but this .com price hike does have some very strong fuck-the-poor vibes IMO.

Longer drivel on the topic:
    .com price hike – where is the Internet going?

.com are for companies. So if it's a personal site, it's better to choose something cheaper.

I do understand the issue if the site is used by many people and you are providing the service for free, in which case you rather not change the domain. But in that case, it's better to keep a main domain and use the subdomains for each type of site instead of 1 domain per site.

Prescription glasses costs 20 euros on zenni ;) Same quality as the spanish ones

Dentistry is my passion

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@somik said:

@tetech said:

@somik said: Since you NEED the domain and are willing to pay, i do not see a issue.

I will buy you some vision aids with the money I save from moving to another registrar =)

@bikegremlin said:

@somik said:

@alento said:

@tetech said:
    I'm in the Namesilo discount program so it is $11.95 with free WHOIS privacy. Does porkbun have free WHOIS privacy? I'm not willing to go with CF for the DNS reasons, so exploring other options.

The thing nobody is talking about is that .com renewals will be $13.95 a year ... whether you are in the discount program, or not. This is my motivation to head for the exit ... but as a reseller of domains, where to go?

If you NEED a .com domain, you should be willing to pay $14 per year if you want it to last more then a year. If you are using it to make money, then it's not a issue.

Otherwise just get a cheap domain with different extension. You can get a domain for 10 years at or bellow $50.

There are sites that have existed for years. Not every good site is making money. Sure, you can 301 your site to a cheaper domain, but this .com price hike does have some very strong fuck-the-poor vibes IMO.

.com are for companies. So if it's a personal site, it's better to choose something cheaper.

I do understand the issue if the site is used by many people and you are providing the service for free, in which case you rather not change the domain. But in that case, it's better to keep a main domain and use the subdomains for each type of site instead of 1 domain per site.

My point is (correct me if I'm wrong) that Internet used to be a lot "more free," while now it is being controlled and milked for money.

sheldonbrown.com, for example, is a free, pure HTML site (so very low resource demands apart from storage space) with a treasure of bike-maintenance and riding tips. It runs Google ads so I suppose it can be financed by itself (the maker/owner is long deceased now), but not every site does, nor should be "forced" to run the damn ads just to share the info for free.

There are people for whom even $1 is a lot.

Having said all this, if it hadn't been done from the start, it could be done now:
    pronounce a cheap domain extension for non-profit, with a "guaranteed" low renewal and registration price. That would be a decent move.

What is the extension with the cheapest renewal (not just cheap registration) now anyway?

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

@somik said:

@tetech said:

@bikegremlin said:

@somik said:

@alento said:

@tetech said:

My point is (correct me if I'm wrong) that Internet used to be a lot "more free," while now it is being controlled and milked for money.

sheldonbrown.com, for example, is a free, pure HTML site (so very low resource demands apart from storage space) with a treasure of bike-maintenance and riding tips. It runs Google ads so I suppose it can be financed by itself (the maker/owner is long deceased now), but not every site does, nor should be "forced" to run the damn ads just to share the info for free.

There are people for whom even $1 is a lot.

Having said all this, if it hadn't been done from the start, it could be done now:
    pronounce a cheap domain extension for non-profit, with a "guaranteed" low renewal and registration price. That would be a decent move.

What is the extension with the cheapest renewal (not just cheap registration) now anyway?

.com is relatively cheap. Many extensions are far more expensive
    .example .bg

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Dentistry is my passion

• @Chievo said:
    Prescription glasses costs 20 euros on zenni ;) Same quality as the spanish ones

I get mine off aliexpress for $40 usually. Expensive, but still cheaper then $200 and usually similar or better quality. You can get better quality here for $300+ but who got that kind of money?

Thanked by (1)Chievo

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• @somik said:

@Chievo said:

I get mine off aliexpress for $40 usually. Expensive, but still cheaper then $200 and usually similar or better quality. You can get better quality here for $300+ but who got that kind of money?

I have had 400 euros prescription glasses. Just found on internet zenni website tried them anf they are pretty good to be honest. I have checked them to regular glasses shop and their specifications are the same in matter of lenses. And with shipping their cost is about 20 euros. Definitely give it a try . Risk is low. 20 euros ;) True that frames are not luxury ones or lenses are not brand ones but ....... I mean brand glasses ( prescription ones) meh .

Dentistry is my passion

• alentoalento Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@somik said:

@alento said:

@tetech said:

It isn't what I need, it is what my clients demand.

Besides, you missed the point entirely -- NameSilo used to charge the same amount for renewals as they did for new registrations. The fact that this will no longer be the case if you are a member of their "Discount" program, was my point.

Recommended providers: BuyVM - MXroute - LunaNode - Forpsi - IntoVPS
    Contact me for all of your Mail-in-a-Box email hosting needs at AnyDomain. I am also a proud reseller of MXroute email.

• Not only namesilo, maximum companies are increasing renewal/transfer fees.

• somiksomik OG
    edited August 2023

@alento said:

@somik said:

@alento said:

@tetech said:

It isn't what I need, it is what my clients demand.

Besides, you missed the point entirely -- NameSilo used to charge the same amount for renewals as they did for new registrations. The fact that this will no longer be the case if you are a member of their "Discount" program, was my point.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.