mrVM - The short (long) story behind the lack of visits to LES and the future......

Comments

• @cold said:

@mikho said:

@Nekki said:
    @SGraf

Relation?

I’ve always thought of Steffi when I read the nickname.

Probably because I’m old enough to actually have seen her on TV.

some also in real life :))

Is this your confession that you’re the guy who stabbed Monica Seles?

• I've never been a fan of lxc so I would prefer an updated version of ovz.

I'm not sure consolidation is the right way to go. I understand the financial gains, but the whole point of MrVM has always been the variety of locations offered.
    Five small vps's in different parts of the world is very interesting, but five small vps's in the same datacenter is completely useless.

Thanked by (3)sh97 tbnuser yoursunny
  • @rcy026 said: I've never been a fan of lxc so I would prefer an updated version of ovz.

I respect your opinion so I'd be curious to hear what it is you prefer about OVZ over LXC. Haven't delved very deeply but being able to use a mainline kernel instead of an OVZ maintained modified one appealed to me.

@rcy026 said: I'm not sure consolidation is the right way to go. I understand the financial gains, but the whole point of MrVM has always been the variety of locations offered.

Five small vps's in different parts of the world is very interesting, but five small vps's in the same datacenter is completely useless.

I wouldn't say completely but yeah that's why I asked too.

• @Nekki said:

@SGraf said:

@Nekki said:
    @SGraf

Relation?

If can word a question that i can comprehend, instead of a single word then i'm can consider giving you a reply...

ARE YOU A RELATED TO THE WOMAN IN THE PHOTOGRAPH, FORMER TENNIS SUPERSTAR STEFFI GRAF?

No, This Is Patrick.

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• @Nekki said:

@cold said:

@mikho said:

@Nekki said:
    @SGraf

Relation?

I’ve always thought of Steffi when I read the nickname.

Probably because I’m old enough to actually have seen her on TV.

some also in real life :))

Is this your confession that you’re the guy who stabbed Monica Seles?

no, no ! i was back than a hippie

• SGrafSGraf Hosting ProviderServices Provider

@Brueggus said:
    I've tried renting LXC containers from different providers few times and it's never been a lot of fun. Weird permissions issues inside the container, data loss, unstable host systems. I'm also not too convinced that the isolation between containers/customers works properly. I have seen other customers' data in the kernel ring buffer (dmesg), for example.

KVM is much nicer, but requires more memory per VM since the kernel is not shared. I usually use RedHat derivates (Centos 7 and Alma/Rocky Linux nowadays) which work fine in 256 MB OVZ containers (even in 128 MB containers, if you make sure not to overload yum). Running these OSes in KVM requires 512 MB RAM at least.

Therefore, my preference would be (an up-to-date version of) OVZ for these small, cheap containers.

Interesting. I'll look into that.

One of the things that i am currently considering is deploying a few fresh servers (physically close) to the existing ones where i think it makes sense. Then give people the option to switch over to LXC on the if they so desire.

Regarding KVM. That is something i want to bring back via MrVM in the future. But for those the min config would be 1g of for RAM.

@skorous said:

@rcy026 said: I've never been a fan of lxc so I would prefer an updated version of ovz.

I respect your opinion so I'd be curious to hear what it is you prefer about OVZ over LXC. Haven't delved very deeply but being able to use a mainline kernel instead of an OVZ maintained modified one appealed to me.

@rcy026 said: I'm not sure consolidation is the right way to go. I understand the financial gains, but the whole point of MrVM has always been the variety of locations offered.

I wouldn't say completely but yeah that's why I asked too.

The plan is to keep quite a bit of geographic diversity. The question is really "how much is just the optimal amount".

MyRoot.PW ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Web-Hosting ★ LIR-Services ★
    MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★
    Blesta.Store ★ Blesta licenses and Add-ons at amazing Prices ★

• @skorous said:

@rcy026 said: I've never been a fan of lxc so I would prefer an updated version of ovz.

To be honest I am in no way, shape or form an expert on either, so take this as a "first glance opinion", if you will. :smile:
    The only place I use ovz or lxc is with very small highly specialized servers doing one simple task, like a 128MB vps checking response times with ping or similar extremely easy tasks. In that kind of scenario, ovz has served me well. Running an ovz maintained kernel that I know for a fact works is fine by me, I need no special features of any kind.
    Not to take anything away from lxc, it's an interesting technology and I cant say that it doesn't work, it's just that the whole thing with cgroups and namespaces feel a bit...messy. It does not give me the same feeling of total separation as other virtualization platforms. It feels like I'm trying to run a vm in a docker kind of thing, it's like it's almost there but not quite.
    But lxc is still young and I have not really followed their progress the last couple of years, so maybe time will prove me wrong. :smile:

Again, no expert, I could be totally wrong, but that's my impression so far.

Thanked by (1)skorous
  • @SGraf said: The plan is to keep quite a bit of geographic diversity. The question is really "how much is just the optimal amount".

Losing New Zealand would be incredibly disappointing if the alternative is Australia. There's a complete lack of lowend NZ locations but an abundance of Australian lowend options.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • 🤜🤛 appreciated 👏🏾

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@cold said:

@Chievo said:
    Congrats for @SGraf and @mikho ! Keep the good work and more important enjoy the life. It is good to see you back @mikho ! +60 hours working week damn enjoy more the life :)

3 kids are expensive

Nonsense - child labour is cheaper even than the Serbs!

:)

Thanked by (2)bdl FrankZ

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @mikho thanks for all the work over the years. its been great working with you.

@SGraf said: Services can only be renewed at their renewal date - not ahead of time (temporary).
    A new Client Portal will be going live ( https://clients.natvm.net/ )
    Migration of User Accounts to the new Client Portal (Mid September) - Only Users with Active Services.
    Old Billing Agreements will be cancelled (paypal/stripe/....) and Users will need to set up new Billing Automation (if desired).

@SGraf my next billing date is on 4th Nov, since i cant pay ahead of time, is there any step i need to do beforehand?

Consolidate Locations (if required), Update/Upgrade Servers/....

Please kindly keep SG or South East Asia region nodes. South (India) & East (Japan) Asia server has significant latency impact for SEA users.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@bikegremlin said:

@cold said:

@Chievo said:
    Congrats for @SGraf and @mikho ! Keep the good work and more important enjoy the life. It is good to see you back @mikho ! +60 hours working week damn enjoy more the life :)

3 kids are expensive

Kids don’t drink like Serbs do…. ;)

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin FrankZ

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho Good luck with your new venture and the transition

@SGraf Just wanna echo what @rcy026 proposed, I'm also fond of having a couple small 128/256 VPS around the world in semi-exotic locations. I'm also a laggard when it comes to technologies, so (updated) OVZ is fine with me, LXC no bueno.

• @mikho said:

@bikegremlin said:

@cold said:

@Chievo said:

3 kids are expensive

Kids don’t drink like Serbs do…. ;)

kids start only with 12 to drink :)) German kids I mean =))

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
    edited September 2023

@milkboy said:
    @mikho thanks for all the work over the years. its been great working with you.

@SGraf said: Services can only be renewed at their renewal date - not ahead of time (temporary).
    Migration of User Accounts to the new Client Portal (Mid September) - Only Users with Active Services.
    Old Billing Agreements will be cancelled (paypal/stripe/....) and Users will need to set up new Billing Automation (if desired).

@SGraf my next billing date is on 4th Nov, since i cant pay ahead of time, is there any step i need to do beforehand?

Please kindly keep SG or South East Asia region nodes. South (India) & East (Japan) Asia server has significant latency impact for SEA users.

Just relax and enjoy. :)

@milkboy said:
    @mikho thanks for all the work over the years. its been great working with you.

As i have promised some transparency, please see this post as a guide towards my ideas/thought process.
    This is based on current server populations (ie there are lower and higher population servers. The lowest one being 8 users/services... in atlanta.)

With regard to timeframe: We are talking about roughly a year.

My current list of ideas (incomplete, will need more research/updates) - **THIS IS NOT FINAL! **

Potential Merges (based on server popularity):

• Norway considering combining the two servers onto better hardware
    • US ...go from 6 servers to two or three.
    • IT: Go from 2 Servers to 1
    • DE: I am considering going from 3 regular servers to 1 or 2 higher performance ones.
    • Australia needs more bench-marking/testing / user-feedback to see if a merge would make sense.

Potential Moves:

• Controlpanel (DE -> AMS)...as a VM
    • 1x US Server to Kansas City? (owned hardware)
    • NL from Dronten to AMS? (owned hardware)
    • DE: If merging is an option (to a DC where i can place my own hardware hardware).
    • Australia: Looking into colo options that make sense based on user counts/...

Potential Same-DC upgrades

• NO: Evaluating colo options based on user counts/... (impacted by potential server merge)
    • Italy: Evaluating colo options based on user counts/... (impacted by potential server merge)

Undecided:

• Bulgaria: Server needs a re-install sooner rather than later. Need to see if it makes sense to continue this afterwards.

Rest:

• No concrete ideas for any changes at this point.

For this project i am also starting a Discord Server: https://discord.gg/tZXKQ55W

Hope this gives you some insight :smile:

Thanked by (2)FAT32 bdl

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• bdlbdl OG
    edited September 2023

Australia needs more bench-marking/testing / user-feedback to see if a merge would make sense.

Considering PER and SYD are opposite sides of the country, going to be difficult to merge. :) Drop SYD and keep AKL as PER and AKL are both bespoke locations, most other VPS operators have a SYD presence :)

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • @bdl said:

Australia needs more bench-marking/testing / user-feedback to see if a merge would make sense.

Considering PER and SYD are opposite sides of the country, going to be difficult to merge. :) Drop SYD and keep AKL as PER and AKL are both bespoke locations, most other VPS operators have a SYD presence :)

This

@Dwayne said:

@bdl said:

This

Looking at the current Servers. There is only syd+per. I dont see any akl services...
    That said, feel free to dm me some colocation options to consider if you are familar with the local landscape.

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

@SGraf said:

@Dwayne said:

@bdl said:

This

Looking at the current Servers. There is only syd+per. I dont see any akl services...
    That said, feel free to dm me some colocation options to consider if you are familar with the local landscape.

Aukland - New Zealand ;)

@mikho said:

@SGraf said:

@Dwayne said:

@bdl said:

This

Aukland - New Zealand ;)

Yeah, but that one is not really australia, is it. So why would you mix the two?

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @SGraf said:

As i have promised some transparency, please see this post as a guide towards my ideas/thought process.
    This is based on current server populations (ie there are lower and higher population servers. The lowest one being 8 users/services... in atlanta.)

Just chipping in with some thoughts.

The US market is so saturated it is ridiculous. I have always considered MrVM a niche player with cheap servers in exotic locations. There is absolutely nothing exotic with the US, and trying to compete pricewise in the US will force you to work with absolutely no margins at all, you will probably sell with a loss just to match the competition.
    I think you should stick to your niche of the market. Having the possibility to provide coverage in the US is of course nice, but don't make it a priority, it is not your selling point.

That being said, I think your plan looks solid. Consolidation where possible is always good, as long as you do not lose geographical diversity.

Thanked by (2)bdl sh97
  • @SGraf said:

@mikho said:

@SGraf said:

@Dwayne said:

@bdl said:

This

Aukland - New Zealand ;)

Yeah, but that one is not really australia, is it. So why would you mix the two?

Ever played Risk? It's all purple..... :D

Thanked by (2)FrankZ bdl

@rcy026 said:

@SGraf said:

Just chipping in with some thoughts.

The US market is so saturated it is ridiculous. I have always considered MrVM a niche player with cheap servers in exotic locations. There is absolutely nothing exotic with the US, and trying to compete pricewise in the US will force you to work with absolutely no margins at all, you will probably sell with a loss just to match the competition.
    I think you should stick to your niche of the market. Having the possibility to provide coverage in the US is of course nice, but don't make it a priority, it is not your selling point.

That being said, I think your plan looks solid. Consolidation where possible is always good, as long as you do not lose geographical diversity.

Being in the "game" in the .us market a couple of years by now with what is considered a "premium" brand over MrVM, i do know the market quite well. So don't worry.

That said, Thank you for your feedback and inputs. I do appreciate them :)

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @SGraf said:

@mikho said:

@SGraf said:

@Dwayne said:

@bdl said:

This

Aukland - New Zealand ;)

some like to live at the edge! probably that why....

@cold said:

@SGraf said:

@mikho said:

@SGraf said:

@Dwayne said:

@bdl said:

This

Aukland - New Zealand ;)

True, Australia is kinda on the edge of the world. ;)

Triggering flat-earthers ………

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@mikho said:

@cold said:

@SGraf said:

@mikho said:

@SGraf said:

@Dwayne said:

@bdl said:

This

Aukland - New Zealand ;)

True, Australia is kinda on the edge of the world. ;)

Triggering flat-earthers ………

Careful with that - the Flat-Earth society has members all around the globe!

Thanked by (5)mikho FrankZ skorous cold Mason

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Sebastian should have saved SmallWeb.

• @MichaelCee said:

I would have as well. :)

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

edited September 2023

@MichaelCee said:

Sadly ...I wasnt given a chance to try doing so.....

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• yokowasisyokowasis Services Provider
    edited September 2023

TLDR anyone ?

Should I concern about my data, should I move them elsewhere ? Do I need to change domain IP Address ?
    What should I do to make sure my service won't go down