WebHorizon's NAT VPS Services: Changes upcoming, Migration to HostBill!

Comments

• rskrsk Hosting Provider

I really wonder how you manage all the different types of abuse with a single ipv4? Some people take advantage of this, and this whole whack-a-mole thing takes a lot of time from sysadmins.

• @flo82 said:
    I noticed the following limitations after the migration:

• No more domain forwarding via ipv4 (only ipv6 works)
    • no more unlimited traffic with reduced speeds (Machine is cut off after included bandwidth has been used)
    • All migrated services are merged to one billed entity (See calculations proposed above)
    • no more email notifications (support reply, bandwidth etc)
    • Stopping/starting VPS from the panel does not work and needs manual intervention from support
    • Reinstalling VPS does not work. Support can only install AlmaLinux 9 manually which works great on a 256MB VPS

Thanked by (3)FrankZ admax fluttershy

dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers • Need a free NAT LXC? -> https://microlxc.net/

• @Brueggus - thanks for sharing those last two very important points. :+1:

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• edited September 2023

I want to know if there is a new promo plan?

• edited September 2023

The migration was well done, and I really appreciate support person of Web Horizon for his / her kindness, diligence, and professionalism.

Excuse me, but I've encountered some minor problems, and maybe someone could guide me through.

• Modification of host name is reset after reboot.
      Usually I can change host name by modifying the content of /etc/hostname, but now the change can't resist a system reboot, and will be restored thereafter.
      So can I disable something like automatic start-up initialisation to prevent this?

• Cannot append IPv6 addresses in the control panel.
      It's easy to append some IPv6s within the /80 prefix in the old panel, but now there seems no way to do that in the new one.
      Or in other VPS, just modify the content of /etc/systemd/network/20-wired.network or /etc/network/interfaces, but here I'm told

# This configuration file is auto-generated.
      # WARNING: Do not edit this file, otherwise your changes will be lost.
      # Please edit template /etc/network/interfaces.template instead.

But the template doesn't exist. What should I do?

Thank you very much.

MicroLXC is lovable.

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

Yes we discontinued domain forwarding, kept breaking and takes time. Then I also got few tickets asking how to setup v2ray ss proxy and left bad reviews when I didn't install it for them . Had we not done that things would have turned worse and I'll have to discontinue nat services altogether. After deducting costs, it does not leave enough to appoint a good full time staff who can take care of everything without my intervention.
    I did not want to discontinue NAT, because, that's how I started in this business, gaining experience and learning in the process.

• no more unlimited traffic with reduced speeds (Machine is cut off after included bandwidth has been used)

It's a limitation of the new control panel implementation, sorry can't be unlimited anymore for nat services.

• All migrated services are merged to one billed entity (See calculations proposed above)

Only for migrated services, again it was a limitation of the new control panel import function.

• no more email notifications (support reply, bandwidth etc)

fixed.

• Stopping/starting VPS from the panel does not work and needs manual intervention from support

fixed.

• Reinstalling VPS does not work. Support can only install AlmaLinux 9 manually which works great on a 256MB VPS

fixed.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ Ayyub

@qqlikelo said:

I will do something LES exclusive soon. :)

@bliss said:
    The migration was well done, and I really appreciate support person of Web Horizon for his / her kindness, diligence, and professionalism.

Excuse me, but I've encountered some minor problems, and maybe someone could guide me through.

• Modification of host name is reset after reboot.
      Usually I can change host name by modifying the content of /etc/hostname, but now the change can't resist a system reboot, and will be restored thereafter.
      So can I disable something like automatic start-up initialisation to prevent this?

On OVZ7, It restores to default service name used in panel. Maybe we can add a function to change the service name in panel so it can change the hostname in vps aswell. I will look into if it is achievable easily.

• Cannot append IPv6 addresses in the control panel.
      It's easy to append some IPv6s within the /80 prefix in the old panel, but now there seems no way to do that in the new one.
      Or in other VPS, just modify the content of /etc/systemd/network/20-wired.network or /etc/network/interfaces, but here I'm told
      > # This configuration file is auto-generated.
      > # WARNING: Do not edit this file, otherwise your changes will be lost.
      > # Please edit template /etc/network/interfaces.template instead.

But the template doesn't exist. What should I do?

Please make a ticket asking to add more individual ipv6 address on your vps.
    This can be automated from panel in future, I will look into the possibilities.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ bliss
  • edited September 2023

@Abdullah said: Then I also got few tickets asking how to setup v2ray ss proxy and left bad reviews when I didn't install it for them .

I know for sure there was an article in the knowledge base clearly demonstrating how to install and config ss or v2ray, which surprised me a little then since most providers avoid it.

I'm sorry but some customers just bite the hand that feeds them. How could the customers blame the provider because of their own inability? This is not a managed service, nor is technical support included.

@Abdullah said: This can be automated from panel in future, I will look into the possibilities.

No problem, these are just trivial problems.

Thanked by (2)sh97 Abdullah

MicroLXC is lovable.

• @Abdullah said:

@qqlikelo said:

I will do something LES exclusive soon. :)

I can't wait to make it come faster. :p

• edited September 2023

My legacy products are gone and every NAT VPS is a separate product now which makes things a lot easier. All of them renew at $7/year, but I suspect that will need to be corrected manually to match the old pricing?

@Abdullah said: no more email notifications (support reply, bandwidth etc)
    fixed.

I still don't get any email notifications for ticket updates although the box is ticked in my account settings. There's still no option to set the hostname and to set IPv6 addresses.
    Most of my VPS are running fine, though. Only Los Angeles has broken IPv6 for two weeks now. Support says it's an upstream issue (Shock Hosting iirc)

So all in all it's the typical Webhorizon experience and things kind of work. Let's see what their next migration holds for us. :#

Thanked by (2)yoursunny admax

dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers • Need a free NAT LXC? -> https://microlxc.net/

• @Brueggus said: My legacy products are gone and every NAT VPS is a separate product now which makes things a lot easier. All of them renew at $7/year, but I suspect that will need to be corrected manually to match the old pricing?

Yes, we implemented that change yesterday. As you said, this will make server recognition and handling much easier and the more important point is that, now we can adjust the billings for each server separately as it was the case in our old billing system.

The billings will be adjusted in the coming days.

Thanked by (3)Abdullah Brueggus FrankZ

I'm a Host Rep for webhorizon

• It says services has been migrated but all my services stay in my.webhorizon.net/client/

Did you missed something @Abdullah

• I have a phantom service in Switzerland.
    I used to have a 5-location bundle that includes Switzerland.
    During an outage, I requested to replace this container with another location.
    Subsequently, I transferred the bundle to someone else.
    Miraculously, the Switzerland container came online again after some months.
    It has been working until earlier this month.
    Now it's showing ENOSPC error on disk writes.
    I guess the spectre lost soul will be hunted down soon?

On the other hand, the Singapore KVM is very fragrant.
    It has good connectivity to Mumbai, Tokyo, Sydney: direct connection, not detour through Europe or North America.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said: I have a phantom service in Switzerland.

Relax, man. That will rest in peace soon.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

MicroLXC is lovable.

edited September 2023

@Brueggus said:

fixed.

I still don't get any email notifications for ticket updates although the box is ticked in my account settings.

I made some changes, can you check now ?

@jarland is the Postmaster General now.

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • @Abdullah said:

Yes we discontinued domain forwarding, kept breaking and takes time.

That's unfortunate, it seems like an important feature for anyone who wants to serve HTTP from the VPS.

• @Abdullah said:

That's unfortunate, it seems like an important feature for anyone who wants to serve HTTP from the VPS.

That wouldn't be a problem unless you want to server HTTP/HTTPS (or any other traffic) directly on the IPv4 itself (which is odd).

You can use IPv6 and much better option is to have a domain (or a subdomain) and configure it so that incoming traffics to that domain on port 80 or 443 (HTTP and HTTPS ports respectively) automatically gets forwarded to the ports that are available to your Nat server (you can easily achieve that we Cloudflare's Origin Rules)

I'm a Host Rep for webhorizon

• @Ayyub said:

@Abdullah said:

That wouldn't be a problem unless you want to server HTTP/HTTPS (or any other traffic) directly on the IPv4 itself (which is odd).

No, it's not odd, it's how the Internet is supposed to work.

You can use IPv6 and much better option is to have a domain (or a subdomain) and configure it so that incoming traffics to that domain on port 80 or 443 (HTTP and HTTPS ports respectively) automatically gets forwarded to the ports that are available to your Nat server (you can easily achieve that we Cloudflare's Origin Rules)

Some people may not wish to use Cloudflare for whatever reason.

• @Abdullah said:

@Brueggus said:

fixed.

I still don't get any email notifications for ticket updates although the box is ticked in my account settings.

Still not working. I do get other emails like "New VPS Account Created" but no message when tickets are updated.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

@Brueggus said:

@Abdullah said:

@Brueggus said:

fixed.

Still not working. I do get other emails like "New VPS Account Created" but no message when tickets are updated.

Happy to check on any of this on my side if desired by @Abdullah.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

edited October 2023

@jarland said:

@Brueggus said:

@Abdullah said:

@Brueggus said:

fixed.

SMTP settings for Support Department were misconfigured. Correcting them has resolved it. Thanks for the help. :3

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • @Abdullah said:

@jarland said:

@Brueggus said:

@Abdullah said:

@Brueggus said:

fixed.

SMTP settings for Support Department were misconfigured. Correcting them has resolved it. Thanks for the help. :3

Yep, working now.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@Abdullah are all changes for NAT VPS migration to the new billing panel regarding renewal prices and dates final at this time ?

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @Brueggus said: Los Angeles has broken IPv6 for two weeks now. Support says it's an upstream issue (Shock Hosting iirc)

They stopped responding to my ticket so I guess they're unwilling or unable to resolve the issue. To get this sorted, I asked them to redeploy my service in Singapore instead. As far as I know, they're running their own network there, so there shouldn't be any "upstream issues".

Support responded quickly and I got my service in Singapore - with broken IPv6. sigh

Thanked by (2)FrankZ yoursunny

@FrankZ said:
    @Abdullah are all changes for NAT VPS migration to the new billing panel regarding renewal prices and dates final at this time ?

Yes they are final now. :)

• Has anyone else had their HongKongNAT service disappear since yesterday?
    I haven't heard from them but I think they may be in Migration, I'm going to wait a couple of days and contact support if no one else is in the same situation. ^ฅωฅ^

( ๑´•ω•)۶”ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@Konbu said:
    Has anyone else had their HongKongNAT service disappear since yesterday?
    I haven't heard from them but I think they may be in Migration, I'm going to wait a couple of days and contact support if no one else is in the same situation. ^ฅωฅ^

I'm in the same situation, so you are not alone.

Thanked by (1)Konbu

• @FrankZ said:
    I'm in the same situation, so you are not alone.

Thank you very much. I am relieved to hear that I am not alone.
    Fingers crossed that it will be restored in the next few days.٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و

( ๑´•ω•)۶”ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited October 2023

If I am correct WebHorizon HK NAT is with HostHatch. HH does not have the fastest support response, so I am normally pretty calm when this location goes dark as I am sure Abdullah is on it and it will get taken care of eventually.

Thanked by (2)Konbu Abdullah