Comments

• Lol it never stops. Hopefully everyone here stopped using those products years ago.

Thanked by (1)chris
  • Providers should switch to DirectAdmin and other billing panels like Blesta/Hostbill.

Thanked by (1)chris
  • webmashwebmash Hosting ProviderServices Provider

@TeYroX said:
    Providers should switch to DirectAdmin and other billing panels like Blesta/Hostbill.

So glad I ditched WHMCS and WebPros a while ago!

Thanked by (1)chris
  • c1vhostingc1vhosting Hosting Provider

We’ll be switching then, it is becoming incredible

C1V hosting: Italy's Leading Data Center | Unbeatable VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Colocation | Cutting-Edge Facilities in Pomezia | Where Your Success Takes Center Stage.
    🚀 VPN for €5/year 🚀 | Follow us on Telegram

• MannDudeMannDude Hosting Provider

And they'll do this next year about this time, too. Seems to be an annual tradition.

Thanked by (3)Mason FrankZ chris

[ IncogNET LLC ] - Privacy By Design
    We believe that privacy and freedom of expression are two very important things, so we offer solutions to accessing and publishing content safely.
    [ USA: Liberty Lake, WA | Kansas City, MO | Allentown, PA ] [EU: Naaldwijk, NL ] [ CL Shared | KVM VPS | VPN | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names ]

• LampardLampard Hosting Provider
    edited September 2023

@TeYroX said:
    Providers should switch to DirectAdmin and other billing panels like Blesta/Hostbill.

DirectAdmin is already following the footsteps of cPanel. Taking out significant part of feature from lifetime, data center and other license which they call it Legacy now. MariaDB cannot be upgraded to 10.11, thus making these license useless when older version MariaDB goes EOL. They want all the people to switch to their normal $29/month license after selling all these "legacy" license for so many years. They are also tracking the number of accounts you are creating, so it will not be a surprise if they switch to per-account pricing model.

• jfreak53jfreak53 Hosting Provider

Most other mainstream providers will follow suit. We will probably stick with it 🤷‍♂️ it does its job properly.

microtronixdc.com - Colocation, Dedicated Servers, Full-Rack options, VPS. John 3:16 - Jesus Saves!!
    Massive Network Bandwidth options with Fiber throughout, up to 100Gbps connections! Always-On DDoS Mitigation for all traffic!

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited September 2023

@TeYroX said:

So, only FOSS could fix that problem in the long run... if humans were cooperative enough to build a decent one together.

Thanked by (1)rubenmdh

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Lampard said:

@TeYroX said:

DirectAdmin is already following the footsteps of cPanel. Taking out significant part of feature from lifetime, data center and other license which they call it Legacy now. MariaDB cannot be upgraded to 10.11, thus making these license useless when older version MariaDB goes EOL. They want all the people to switch to their normal $29/month license after selling all these "legacy" license for so many years. They are also tracking the number of accounts you are creating, so it will not be a surprise if they switch to per-account pricing model.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

@TeYroX said:

So, only FOSS could fix that problem in the long run... if humans were cooperative enough to build a decent one together.

Can't agree more. With just a handful of maintainers we could get a decent product that slowly evolves into a good product. I am dreaming, I know.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Time to support panels like HestiaCP:

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint NerdUno
  • @bikegremlin said:

@TeYroX said:

There is also Paymenter which is free, open source and devs are very active on discord :)

• jfreak53jfreak53 Hosting Provider

Is what it is, we are too invested into it to switch, too many custom integrations over 15 years of using it 🤷‍♂️

Thanked by (1)Madcityservers

microtronixdc.com - Colocation, Dedicated Servers, Full-Rack options, VPS. John 3:16 - Jesus Saves!!
    Massive Network Bandwidth options with Fiber throughout, up to 100Gbps connections! Always-On DDoS Mitigation for all traffic!

• ispmanager gives a year of free usage for switching from cPanel. I think I should take advantage of such a generous offer.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@vvierg said:
    ispmanager gives a year of free usage for switching from cPanel. I think I should take advantage of such a generous offer.

Hum, I thought you already switched last month.

@vvierg said:
    With all due respect to cPanel, my patience is breaking. Every year the same desire for more and more of my money. So I am starting the migration to ispmanager. In my opinion it is the best alternative with the similar functionality but for a much lower price.
    I don't believe in free panels. Only cheese in a mousetrap can be free.

You're starting to look like a bit of a shill. So I am not sure I should take you seriously.

Thanked by (1)NerdUno

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• No one will solve problem except you. FOSS is not a solution. Just build your-own panel. Only that will bring the relief from rug pulling.

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider

@bikegremlin said: if humans were cooperative enough to build a decent one together.

@rubenmdh said: Can't agree more. With just a handful of maintainers we could get a decent product that slowly evolves into a good product. I am dreaming, I know.

Count me in. It's been a personal dream of mine to de-WP everything but as a host several things are extremely important that seem to be "missing" from any other project. Maybe I'm wrong, it just feels that way.

Okay but like seriously, it genuinely cannot be that difficult as long as it is streamlined, without all the bells and whistles. Not stretched thin, hyperfocused on achieving an actual drop-in replacement with a solid core and API to allow for heavy additions. Then hosts can focus on creating replacements for their customizations, and painless replacement. No bloat to keep it secure and relatively bug-free.

• Billing
    • Tickets
    • Webhosting
    • VPS
    • Monitoring

.If you think about it all that's being done is controlling pre-existing packages.

Most importantly if it doesn't end up being free, definitely at least a "we legally can't screw you over" clause. Second most important thing which would obviously make things immediately fall apart is that each provider will have a specific niche they've heavily gone into using existing software. This would make it hard to do it "streamlined" since they all have their requirements and biases so for it to work it'd have to probably be people with the same set of checkbox requirements. For example for us that would be KVM virtualization, for another it might be OpenVZ and that's just one part of it. Add in all the others and it could create a 25-way schism or turn into development hell trying to do it all. Even more so of course if they try to cram in specific little things as base features such as specific payment gateways. There'd basically have to be a vote to only do the most popular of each to start.

One final thing, it can't actually be better because for it to be an actual "replacement" it has to basically initially do it almost exactly in the same crappy way for every little thing. Of course it doesn't have to be done in the same maze-like fashion though.

@TeYroX said: There is also Paymenter which is free

@Ympker said: Time to support panels like HestiaCP

Interesting projects, as well as OpenNebula. They could serve as a good foundation if stripped apart and put back together.

• @Ympker said:

Time for Hestia to support ipv6.

I love Hestia, I really do, but as long as they stay 20 years behind they are not a viable option.

• MicronodeMicronode Hosting Provider

We’ll be moving away from WHMCS, we have over 2000 clients most of which pay £1-5 per year. This simply isn’t sustainable for a small business such as ourselves.

What do people prefer? Clientexec or Hostbill?

• @natvps_uk said:
    We’ll be moving away from WHMCS, we have over 2000 clients most of which pay £1-5 per year. This simply isn’t sustainable for a small business such as ourselves.

What do people prefer? Clientexec or Hostbill?

In-house built solution. Especially if services sold is niche.

• @Ympker said:

HestiaCP is a very good panel using them for many production websites.

Thanked by (1)NerdUno
  • @FrankZ said: I thought you already switched last month.

Indeed, I switched to ispmanager on one server recently, before the promotion. But I would like to switch the other few of my servers on this promotion, which came out a couple of weeks ago. What confused you?

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@vvierg said: What confused you?

Why do you think I am confused ?
    Your only comments on LES have been to promote ispmanager so it is pretty clear.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add