VirMach - Complain - Moan - Praise - Chit Chat

Comments

• @Virmach my Atlanta VPS is in Miami now and I can connect with VNC, but its got an IP that routes to Atlanta (Flexential --- 66.59.x.x) so there is no internet connectivity. Are you working on this still? I keep expecting to see another IP assigned to my server but its been a few days with no updates and your status says MIA should all have new IPs at this point.

• @VirMach, any news regarding DALZ007 ?

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited October 2023

@tenpera said:
    @VirMach, any news regarding DALZ007 ?

--

@VirMach said: If network status page doesn't say it's done and a network status update exists, then it's not done and we shouldn't be contacted about it yet.

From the status page:

Update 9/28 -- Equipment has been finally released by the datacenter and will likely be shipped to Atlanta tomorrow, arriving either Saturday or Monday. This could be delayed further.

Thanked by (1)Wonder_Woman

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @JoeMerit said:
    @Virmach my Atlanta VPS is in Miami now and I can connect with VNC, but its got an IP that routes to Atlanta (Flexential --- 66.59.x.x) so there is no internet connectivity. Are you working on this still? I keep expecting to see another IP assigned to my server but its been a few days with no updates and your status says MIA should all have new IPs at this point.

I've got a Seattle VPS moved to LAX that is in the same situation (running but old IP). So would assume these are yet to have their IP sorted out.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • My Atlanta VPS moved to NY with old backup... It´s like "spin the wheel and try your luck" xD

• Had a smooth IP change in Chicago. Was going to try to do it manually but my etc/network/interfaces file didn't match up with what I expected (assume because DHCP) so waited until the automatic changeover on Sept. 30. It went fine- just changed the DNS records and sites are back online:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).    
    source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*    
    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback    
    # The primary network interface
    allow-hotplug ens3
    iface ens3 inet dhcp

The move and IP change of my other BF VPS from Dallas to NY also smooth. It's Debian 11 same as Chicago. /interfaces file on that one is:

# Generated by SolusVM    
     auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback    
     auto eth0
      iface eth0 inet static
       address 141.11.xx.xxx
       gateway 141.11.xxx.1
       netmask 255.255.255.128
       dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

Thanks VirMach

• Ticket Created #154736

Please advise... I am completely locked out of my service. This is Chicago server. Thanks

• @mockingbird said:
    Ticket Created #154736

Please advise... I am completely locked out of my service. This is Chicago server. Thanks

Could you clarify the objective of your post? Are you looking for advice from the community members, or hoping that posting a ticket number will result in a faster response?

Thanked by (3)FrankZ AlwaysSkint skorous
  • @tetech said:

@mockingbird said:
    Ticket Created #154736

Could you clarify the objective of your post? Are you looking for advice from the community members, or hoping that posting a ticket number will result in a faster response?

The purpose was twofold -

Am I under investigation?

• @mockingbird said:

@tetech said:

@mockingbird said:
    Ticket Created #154736

Yetis have been dispatched to your current location, please stand by for arrival.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ yoursunny

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• tetechtetech OG
    edited October 2023

@mockingbird said:

@tetech said:

@mockingbird said:
    Ticket Created #154736

No, but you said "please advise", and it was unclear to me who you are asking to advise you - VirMach or community members.

If VirMach, posting a ticket number here typically doesn't accelerate the process. If community members, they don't have access to the ticket so you should explain more about the problem to enable useful advice - are you talking about being locked out of your account in the control panel? Or forgotten root password on the VPS?

• edited October 2023

@tetech said:
    No, but you said "please advise", and it was unclear to me who you are asking to advise you - VirMach or community members.

Thanks. Let me elaborate: I'm on CHI-Z027 and my IP was included in those that were changed and now I am having issues getting things working. Right now the control panel is responding, but it's very intermittent, and most of the time I am getting the message "Operation Timed Out After 90001 Milliseconds With 0 Bytes Received"...

As I typed this the VNC session hanged and now it's entering the intermittent cycle again where I can't even access the control panel again.

• Should I close my old IPv6 request ticket for my Seattle server? Wondering if it's why it's still down

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@MallocVoidstar said:
    Should I close my old IPv6 request ticket for my Seattle server? Wondering if it's why it's still down

I would close the ticket. You did not mention the node you are on, but if it is SEAZ009 or SEAZ010, there is a recent update
    From the status page:

Please note, if you have a currently open ticket regarding a Seattle server, your migration may be paused until we can read your ticket first.

Update 10/02 -- We've ran into issues and some delays which mean a portion of these changes have not yet fully completed. It's possible networking or other issues exist and we are working on resolving them. SEAZ009 and SEAZ010 are still awaiting migration.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• I'm on 08. Well, I closed it, I'll see if the server returns to me.

• I just woke up and thought I'd check my ticket and was greeted with this:

Ban Reason: Banned for 30 login attempts.
    Ban Expires: 10/03/2023 (21:00)

I didn't do anything, I was sleeping for the past several hours!

• @mockingbird said:

Have you ever gone to sleep in your bed and woken up on the living room sofa? Or, perhaps you’ve got banned for 30 login attempts by Virmach?
    If so, you may be one of the 6.9 percent of people who’ve experienced at least one episode of sleepwalking in their life.

Although the prevalence of sleepwalking is significantly higher in children, about 1.5 percent of adults have had a sleepwalking episode beyond their childhood years.
    Sleepwalking, or somnambulism, can be caused by medications, genetics, or health conditions that disrupt your sleep.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • @Mumbly said:
    Have you ever gone to sleep in your bed and woken up on the living room sofa?

I went to sleep in the bed and waked up in the bathtub.
    What's happening?

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• woke

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited October 2023

@mockingbird said:
    I just woke up and thought I'd check my ticket and was greeted with this:

I had the same happen to me yesterday (49 login attempts), and it had never happened to me before. My thinking was that since I did not leave it on the dashboard, but left it in a VM overview, it timed out, and maybe kept auto refreshing after my session expired or something.

Only odd thing is that my ban expiration time was the same as yours, just a day earlier.
    Ban Expires: 10/02/2023 (21:00)

Seems fine now after the ban expired.

EDIT: I was using a local ISP IPv4 without any proxy or VPN server.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @yoursunny said:

@Mumbly said:

I went to sleep in the bed and waked up in the bathtub.
    What's happening?

Sleep researchers have identified several health conditions, activities, and substances that are known to trigger sleepwalking episodes.
    It’s also possible that you inherited your tendency to sleepwalk. Sleepwalking sometimes runs in families.

Stress
    Stress and anxiety are known to interfere with a good night’s rest. Some sleep scientists also think daytime stress can contribute to somnambulism.

Sleep deprivation
    People who don’t get enough sleep are more vulnerable to sleepwalking.

Migraine
    If you have chronic migraine, you may be more vulnerable to sleepwalking.

Fever
    Sleepwalking has been associated with illnesses that cause fever, especially in children.

Breathing disorders
    Obstructive sleep apnea is a breathing disorder that causes you to stop breathing for short periods while you sleep. It’s more than just snoring.
    Among other things, severe sleep apnea can lead to daytime fatigue, high blood pressure, stroke, and heart disease.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
    If you have GERD, the contents of your stomach can come back up through your esophagus, causing uncomfortable burning sensations. For many people, symptoms are worse at night.

Parkinson’s disease
    Parkinson’s disease is a nerve condition that affects your body’s ability to move. As the disease progresses, it can affect parts of the brain stem that control movement as well as parts of the brain that control sleep.

Restless leg syndrome
    There’s some debate among sleep researchers about whether restless leg syndrome (RLS) causes sleepwalking.

Certain medications
    Some sleep medications have caused people to sleepwalk, including the sleep-inducing drug zolpidem, which is also sold under the names Ambien and Edluar.

Source: https://www.healthline.com/health/why-do-people-sleepwalk

• It appears that virmach validates the IP address of the user at login, which can result in failing the associated validation when the user is using a non-global proxy server. This may result in additional authentication, forced logout and ip blocking.

Have the honor of being the crybaby who pays $20 for a 128MB VPS at VirMach in 2023.

• @FrankZ said:

@mockingbird said:
    I just woke up and thought I'd check my ticket and was greeted with this:

I had the same happen to me yesterday (49 login attempts), and it had never happened to me before. My thinking was that since I did not leave it on the dashboard, but left it in a VM overview, it timed out, and maybe kept auto refreshing after my session expired or something.

Only odd thing is that my ban expiration time was the same as yours, just a day earlier.
    Ban Expires: 10/02/2023 (21:00)

Seems fine now after the ban expired.

EDIT: I was using a local ISP IPv4 without any proxy or VPN server.

Thanks for the corroborative report, much appreciated! LOL, I gotta say, the replies here are epic.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Mumbly said:

@yoursunny said:

@Mumbly said:

I went to sleep in the bed and woke up in the bathtub.
    What's happening?

Sleep researchers have identified several health conditions, activities, and substances that are known to trigger sleepwalking episodes.
    It’s also possible that you inherited your tendency to sleepwalk. Sleepwalking sometimes runs in families.

Who put the ice cubes in the bathtub?
    We had no ice cubes in the house.

Thanked by (1)charleenk

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited October 2023

@yoursunny said: Who put the ice cubes in the bathtub?

Have you checked to make sure that you still have both your kidneys ?

• edited October 2023

@FrankZ said:

I sold both kidneys several years back to pay an unexpected Google Cloud bill.

• @FrankZ said:

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited October 2023

@yoursunny said:

@FrankZ said:

I sold both kidneys several years back to pay an unexpected Google Cloud bill.

Another reason to use LE providers. It may kill a few babies in the future, but it will save a lot of kidneys between now and then.

Glad to see that you found LE* before you lost any more internal organs to Google Cloud.

• Anyone else on the 88.214.20.0/24 subnet at FFME003? If so, have you noticed a major increase in dropped packets at your firewall since 9/26? If so, are they all from 88.214.20.10?

vnstat is showing about 180 packets/second in, instead of the usual 2-10 or so. I ran a tcpdump to see what's what. 95.7% of the 306749 captured packets are from 88.214.20.10, and most (all?) look to be SYN to tcp/23 for random IPs across the internet. Not nice.

Is it odd that I can see this dude scanning the internet for open telnet servers? Sure same subnet, but I thought the VMs were a bit more isolated.

Interesting, huh?

In other news, I think my DALZ004 VM is still running with no inbound data, as I'm still seeing those weird cloudflare DNS queries on my auth server.

• @yoursunny Check your testicles, you may be missing at least one. :p

Thanked by (2)yoursunny FrankZ

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.