mrVM - The short (long) story behind the lack of visits to LES and the future......

Comments

• A suggestion for @SGraf : In future communications try to make it a little more apparent that "billing portal set to Maintenance mode" means everything is completely offline for potentially a week. Had I understood that there would be no way to reboot I definitely would not have tried to do an OS upgrade.

• SGrafSGraf Hosting ProviderServices Provider
    edited October 2023

@skorous said:
    A suggestion for @SGraf : In future communications try to make it a little more apparent that "billing portal set to Maintenance mode" means everything is completely offline for potentially a week. Had I understood that there would be no way to reboot I definitely would not have tried to do an OS upgrade.

If you require a reboot or something, just open a ticket in the new portal. We'll get you sorted quickly.
    Furthermore i can also send you login information for the virtualizor panel via ticket, if you request it.

Please note that forums are NOT an official support channel.

MyRoot.PW ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Web-Hosting ★ LIR-Services ★
    MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★
    Blesta.Store ★ Blesta licenses and Add-ons at amazing Prices ★

• @SGraf said:

@skorous said:
    A suggestion for @SGraf : In future communications try to make it a little more apparent that "billing portal set to Maintenance mode" means everything is completely offline for potentially a week. Had I understood that there would be no way to reboot I definitely would not have tried to do an OS upgrade.

If you require a reboot or something, just open a ticket in the new portal. We'll get you sorted quickly.
    Furthermore i can also send you login information for the virtualizor panel via ticket, if you request it.

Never said they were. Was literally giving you a suggestion for future communications.

After about ten minutes the machine came back on its own. Problem resolved.

@skorous said:

@SGraf said:

@skorous said:

Never said they were. Was literally giving you a suggestion for future communications.

After about ten minutes the machine came back on its own. Problem resolved.

Alright! If you need anything else, just raise a ticket.

Regards

Thanked by (1)skorous

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

We are slightly behind schedule at this point. But if things go well we should complete in the next day or two. Had a few interesting edge-cases manifest themselves that needed resolving.

Regards

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• edited October 2023

Looks like my service now shows up on natvm.

Not so great that my control panel password was given back to me in an email in plain text and also in a support ticket on my account. Time to go into my control panel and change it

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@tbnuser said:
    Looks like my service now shows up on natvm.

Not so great that my control panel password was given back to me in an email in plain text and also in a support ticket on my account. Time to go into my control panel and change it

Good call, First thing to do whenever you get a new service

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• from the story: I won't change a thing: i saw now not only that services are more expensive but also that it is not possible to pay with PayPal anymore... i'm glad that the new owner didn't change anything.

Thanked by (1)FAT32
  • @cold said:
    from the story: I won't change a thing: i saw now not only that services are more expensive but also that it is not possible to pay with PayPal anymore... i'm glad that the new owner didn't change anything.

Yup, I am cancelling all of them before next renewal.

@cold said:
    from the story: I won't change a thing: i saw now not only that services are more expensive but also that it is not possible to pay with PayPal anymore... i'm glad that the new owner didn't change anything.

As i have said to a few people via ticket. Paypal is on the roadmap, it just not there yet.

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @FAT32 said:

@cold said:

Yup, I am cancelling all of them before next renewal.

so will I most probably. The era of the NATking has ended! the end is nigh

Thanked by (2)FAT32 fluttershy
  • @cold said:

To be fair, I remember him saying he'd change as little as possible and in a methodical, clearly defined way not that he'd change nothing. As for price, three of my services went up ~$0.50 and one went down a dollar so I'm net losing fifty cents. However, they also broke the bundle so I'm canceling a box that I kept primarily because it was part of the bundle so I'm actually up about four bucks. Paypal is shit so I don't care about that but as he's said it's going to be there it was just more important to get the control panel relocated, etc.... And let's be honest the control panel responsiveness is much improved now.

Would I be excited about the price increases if I had a stable full of $3/yr boxes? Nope. I'm not excited about it with the very modest increases I had. That said, he's still got ( from my experience at least ) the best service out there when you account for locations, services ( NFS anyone? working SNI? ), and stability. I'm not as blindly loyal as I was when The Viking ran it but it's still an excellent service. Just my $0.02.

Thanked by (5)bdl mikho SGraf FrankZ ialexpw
    edited October 2023

Update:

• All (active) client accounts should be migrated. Same goes for all services we can track via whmcs.

• During the Data-Migration we discovered that there are about 100 services on the vm-platform that are not tracked in whmcs and that we cannot match to accounts/users based on billing data. The affected services will be suspended in the next few days. Afterwards we will wait until december 1st for tickets/complains. Services that cannot be matched to billing will be removed from our servers on december 1st.

Apologies for the delay in getting this done. It was more labor intensive than anticipated.

Thanked by (2)bdl FrankZ

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @SGraf - is the Perth, Australia service being migrated to New Zealand? I noticed that my Perth service was renamed NewZealand after the migration?

• i have a free nat and 2$/Y nat 6 years ago.
    now 8$/year, time to say goodbye

edited October 2023

@bdl said:
    @SGraf - is the Perth, Australia service being migrated to New Zealand? I noticed that my Perth service was renamed NewZealand after the migration?

No. That will most likely be just a data entry error. Please open a ticket we can identify the service name and fix it the package name.

Thanked by (1)bdl

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @SGraf an eta on PayPal payment?

Status-Update:

What has happened so far (October):

• Worked thru the backlock of support Tickets.
    • Various Infrastructure Improvements
    • Notified Users of changes to Pricing, Billing Procedures,...
    • Completed Migration (Accounts/Services) to the new Billing Portal located at https://clients.natvm.net/ !
    • Asked all Users to review their Account/Services.

Note: We identified about 100 VPS during the Migration that are not attached/linked to any Billing-Accounts.
    These services have been suspended so that the affected parties can notice and contact MrVM Support. Any Services that are still not linked to billing accounts on December 1st 2023 will be permanently removed from our systems.

Next for the MrVM/ natVM Team:

• Deploy Servers in Netherlands and Kansas City for VPS-Services (November).
    • Release the new Website (Mid to late november).
    • Evaluate Server Populations and Locations (US/EU) and communicate any potential changes to users.
    • Inform users about more aufregend changes/news, improvments and new locations...
    Thanked by (3)bdl shelfchair FrankZ

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @SGraf said:
    Status-Update:

What has happened so far (October):

• Worked thru the backlock of support Tickets.
    • Various Infrastructure Improvements
    • Notified Users of changes to Pricing, Billing Procedures,...
    • Completed Migration (Accounts/Services) to the new Billing Portal located at https://clients.natvm.net/ !
    • Asked all Users to review their Account/Services.

Note: We identified about 100 VPS during the Migration that are not attached/linked to any Billing-Accounts.
    These services have been suspended so that the affected parties can notice and contact MrVM Support. Any Services that are still not linked to billing accounts on December 1st 2023 will be permanently removed from our systems.

Next for the MrVM/ natVM Team:

• Deploy Servers in Netherlands and Kansas City for VPS-Services (November).
    • Release the new Website (Mid to late november).
    • Evaluate Server Populations and Locations (US/EU) and communicate any potential changes to users.
    • Inform users about more aufregend changes/news, improvments and new locations...

@SGraf - thankyou for the forum posts and emails keeping us all up to date! I also learned today that aufregend means exciting! :)

Thanked by (2)skorous Janevski
  • @bdl said: today that aufregend means

Thanked by (1)bdl

More News/Updates

• Hardware:

Ready/Deployed in US (KC) and NL (Amsterdam).

• Other:

Earlier in this thread, we discussed a Technology shift from ovz6/7 to LXC. ......Progress on this has been great.

Work on a (new) custom Blesta Module to provision LXC based VPS is completed.

I have also customized Linux templates for popular distributions. On "Re-Launch Day" MrVM will support almalinux-9, alpine-3.18, debian-12, rockylinux-9, ubuntu-22.04.

• Next Steps:

If things go to plan, then the Website-Redesign will be done on the Weekend.
    A day later the "order forms" should be back for those of you who want to check out the new LXC powered VPS.

Thanked by (3)bdl zgato rcy026

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @SGraf said:
    More News/Updates

• Hardware:

Ready/Deployed in US (KC) and NL (Amsterdam).

• Other:

Earlier in this thread, we discussed a Technology shift from ovz6/7 to LXC. ......Progress on this has been great.

Work on a (new) custom Blesta Module to provision LXC based VPS is completed.

I have also customized Linux templates for popular distributions. On "Re-Launch Day" MrVM will support almalinux-9, alpine-3.18, debian-12, rockylinux-9, ubuntu-22.04.

• Next Steps:

If things go to plan, then the Website-Redesign will be done on the Weekend.
    A day later the "order forms" should be back for those of you who want to check out the new LXC powered VPS.

An ETA to Paypal?

• @SGraf said: Earlier in this thread, we discussed a Technology shift from ovz6/7 to LXC. ......Progress on this has been great.

Does this mean all OVZ6/7 VMs will be (eventuallymigrated to LXC or will users have the option to continue to remain on OVZ7?

edited November 2023

@nullnothere said:

@SGraf said: Earlier in this thread, we discussed a Technology shift from ovz6/7 to LXC. ......Progress on this has been great.

Does this mean all OVZ6/7 VMs will be (eventuallymigrated to LXC or will users have the option to continue to remain on OVZ7?

This is a bit of a tricky question to answer.

• Some nodes (ovz6) will eventually be phased out and replaced by newer nodes. Simply because of security considerations....
    • Some nodes may in the future be replaced, where i plan to switch to owned or more powerful hardware.
    • I have also recieved word by one of of the current "upstream" providers that they want to replace the hardware of one of the MrVM Nodes (with about 2 months lead time). This would also be a candidate for Changing that location/area over to LXC.

The (current) plan is to always have an overlap phase where client have the option to be on both servers(old/new) at the same time.
    I am currently looking into options on how to implement this in a "cost neutral" way for the current clients.

Thanked by (1)nullnothere

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @SGraf said:

@nullnothere said:

@SGraf said: Earlier in this thread, we discussed a Technology shift from ovz6/7 to LXC. ......Progress on this has been great.

• Some nodes (ovz6) will eventually be phased out and replaced by newer nodes. Simply because of security considerations....
    • Some nodes may in the future be replaced, where i plan to switch to owned or more powerful hardware.
    • I have also recieved word by one of of the current "upstream" providers that they want to replace the hardware of one of the MrVM Nodes (with about 2 months lead time). This would also be a candidate for Changing that location/area over to LXC.

The (current) plan is to always have an overlap phase where client have the option to be on both servers(old/new) at the same time.
    I am currently looking into options on how to implement this in a "cost neutral" way for the current clients.

this sounds like a price increasing....

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@cold said:

@SGraf said:

@nullnothere said:

this sounds like a price increasing....

It can be for some locations. Depends on the cost of the hardware the node runs on.

I’ll give a real life example from mrvm;
    Lenoir was running on a very special deal as the hardware was end-of-life when I got the deal.

When (after many years) 2 disks died in a RAID10 system of 4 disks, it couldn’t be repaired.

As the hardware was old, the only OS that could be installed was CentOS 6.
    Which I ofcourse didn’t wanted to do.

So the option was to upgrade the hardware or kill the location.

The price for a mirrored ssd setup, 16GB of ram and a decent CPU would have gone from $25/month to $75-90/month.

Selling NAT OVZ at $7/year, you can do the math on how many more containers I had to sell to not go broke on that location alone.

mrvm lived on great deals and sponsorship.
    It is time to think outside the box and offer value for the money, value in terms of service and new ideas.

When things have calmed down from the transfer of ownership, I will have a talk with @SGraf about some ideas/projects that I didn’t have time or enough knowledge to activate while running mrvm.

I’m not surprised if some locations must go or increase in price.
    That is on me for not following the inflation, instead keeping it as it was in the beginning.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

@mikho said:
    you can do the math on how many more containers I had to sell to not go broke on that location alone.

It is time to think outside the box and offer value for the money, value in terms of service and new ideas.

When things have calmed down from the transfer of ownership, I will have a talk with @SGraf about some ideas/projects that I didn’t have time or enough knowledge to activate while running mrvm.

That is on me for not following the inflation, instead keeping it as it was in the beginning.

Oh! I would not worry about the price situation much. I think you may be pleasantly surprised by my next post.

For the occasional forums reader: It may not be evident, but @mikho and me are also talking outside of LES. However i do believe that the project is starting to get on the right track.

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

edited November 2023

@SGraf said:

@mikho said:
    you can do the math on how many more containers I had to sell to not go broke on that location alone.

Oh! I would not worry about the price situation much. I think you may be pleasantly surprised by my next post.

For the occasional forums reader: It may not be evident, but @mikho and me are also talking outside of LES. However i do believe that the project is starting to get on the right track.

Update 2023-11-10: Blesta plugin testing has revealed one tiny hiccup. This will be fixed today/tomorrow.

Other than that, all of the important metrics/... are looking good.

As a bonus: MrVM will be moving towards provisioning a routed /64 ipv6 per vps.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ skorous

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

Update (1) 2023-11-13:

Plugin testing complete - flawless. An official update should be going out in the next few hours via email.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• I need cheap nat vps