mrVM - The short (long) story behind the lack of visits to LES and the future......

Comments

• SGrafSGraf Hosting ProviderServices Provider

@wagumaxida said:
    I need cheap nat vps

Already working on it :)

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

MyRoot.PW ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Web-Hosting ★ LIR-Services ★
    MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★
    Blesta.Store ★ Blesta licenses and Add-ons at amazing Prices ★

• FAT32FAT32 OG
    edited November 2023

My total pricing increased by 450% so it is no longer cheap at all...

Thanked by (1)cold
  • @FAT32 said:

same here and cancelled my services. things used to be good, stable and cheap

@atomi said:

@FAT32 said:

same here and cancelled my services. things used to be good, stable and cheap

While its sad to see some long-term users leaving, the simple truth is that MrvM has operated at a loss for quite a bit of time and this is not a thing that can continue going forward.

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @FAT32 said:

told you before that he gonna kill what used to be.... that's what happen when sharks smell blood in the water

• @wagumaxida said:
    I need cheap nat vps

try @Cam

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@cold said:

@FAT32 said:

told you before that he gonna kill what used to be.... that's what happen when sharks smell blood in the water

Can’t put all of the blame on one guy here.

As I wrote in an earlier post, when an upgrade goes from $25/month to $75/month … someone has to pay for it.

From memory, there has been an increase of price on current hardware in 4-5 locations.

And its not small change increases, we are talking about $/€ 10/month or more ….

Not to mention the licenses, whmcs price is insane and moving to Blesta is a cheaper alternative.

Thanked by (3)skorous bdl cold

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

@mikho said:
    As I wrote in an earlier post, when an upgrade goes from $25/month to $75/month … someone has to pay for it.

When the renwal amount jumps, in this one case i think. Not even an "upgrade" in terms of hardware,...

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

Amazing! Today MrVM is coming back to Life. So Lets talk about whats new!

Dear MrVM Clients!

As promised there is a big update for all of you. After a long time of "inactivity",
    it is finally time for MrVM to return to its former glory.

In todays Update we will talk about the following:

• LXC VPS
    • Package Updates
    • New Servers
    • Retiring/Closing Servers
    • Website Status
    • Ordering new Services
    • Future Plans

*) LXC VPS:

Going forward MrVM is starting to change virtualization technology for the IPv6 Only (and NAT) Product lines.
    Evaluating the current situation, it became clear that going forward a change of technology required.

The current current servers are running very old versions of OVZ6/7/... wich comes with security implications,
    very old OS-Templates and many other issues.

Going forward the long-term aim is to simplify the infrastructure, improve reliability and
    move away from third party control panels. So starting today,
    This is possible because i have developed a new custom module for the billing system,
    that allows the Provisioning LXC based vps.

This brings the users of MrVM Services many benefits such as an environment
    that runs on a more modern Linux kernel+system, modern OS-Templates and many more.

However no change, is without its drawbacks, this means that the support for tun/tap interfaces is going away.
    For the NAT Services, the integration of HAPROXY automation is also still in the works (and will likely be available again in the future).

The following templates will be available on the new servers launching today:

alpine-3.18-mrvm_20231108_amd64
    debian-12-mrvm_20231109_12.2-1_amd64
    ubuntu-22.04-mrvm_20231108_22.04-1_amd64
    almalinux-9-mrvm_20231108_amd64
    rockylinux-9-mrvm_20231108_amd64

If you want to suggest a template, please send an e-mail to [email protected]

*) Package Updates:

Packages/Plans for LXC VPS are also getting the following upgrades compared to the existing Plans.

... Increased Disk Space
    ... Routed /64 IPv6 per VPS.

The pricing will stay as announced in an earlier E-Mail:

LXC-256
    1 vCPU Cores
    256 MB RAM
    8 GB SSD Space
    1 TB Traffic
    0 IPv4-Address
    /64 IPv6-Network

...For only 6€ / Year

LXC-512

1 vCPU Cores
    512 MB RAM
    16 GB SSD Space
    2 TB Traffic
    0 IPv4-Address
    /64 IPv6-Network
    ...For only 10€ / Year

LXC-1024 (Very Limited Supply)
    1 vCPU Cores
    1 GB RAM
    32 GB SSD Space
    2 TB Traffic
    1 IPv4-Address
    /64 IPv6-Network
    ...For only 20€ / Year

• ) New Servers

Today two new Servers are going "live".

... lxc1-ams.mrvm.net
    ... lxc2-ams.mrvm.net

In the next two weeks, you can expect two more new locations to go live.
    An Update-Email on this will follow when they are ready.

*) Retiring/Closing Servers

In a previous E-Mail i have announced that a the following locations

Dronten
    Bulgaria

are closing end of the year. The services in question will be set to cancel on the
    day of closure. The Time remaining on services associated will be credited to account balance of the affected users (prorated).

*) Website and Order Process

Today MrVM is relaunching its Website. You can find it on https://mrvm.net/

At the same time orders for services at first new location can be placed as well.

*) Future Plans

More Servers and News will follow in the next two weeks.

Kind Regards
    Sebastian Graf / MrVM

Thanked by (1)bdl

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

@SGraf said:

@mikho said:

When the renwal amount jumps, in this one case i think. Not even an "upgrade" in terms of hardware,...

This case was for Lenoir and it included a hardware upgrade from before.

edited November 2023

@mikho said:

@SGraf said:

@mikho said:

This case was for Lenoir and it included a hardware upgrade from before.

Apologies, i was thinking about another server. But regardless this kind of thing is something i am currently seeing for a few of the locations.

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @SGraf said: This is possible because i have developed a new custom module for the billing system, that allows the Provisioning LXC based vps.

Is it possible to convert/re-provision an existing system to the new LXC based? I'll need to see if I'm wrong and this can work for me.

However no change, is without its drawbacks, this means that the support for tun/tap interfaces is going away.

This is assumed to be a permanent loss, correct? Not something you're researching for possible revival in the future? Without the ability to network my systems, I've lost my current use case is why I'm asking.

For the NAT Services, the integration of HAPROXY automation is also still in the works (and will likely be available again in the future).

This being the other piece of said use-case.

@skorous said:

@SGraf said: This is possible because i have developed a new custom module for the billing system, that allows the Provisioning LXC based vps.

Is it possible to convert/re-provision an existing system to the new LXC based? I'll need to see if I'm wrong and this can work for me.

This is assumed to be a permanent loss, correct? Not something you're researching for possible revival in the future? Without the ability to network my systems, I've lost my current use case is why I'm asking.

I prefer not to make promises with regard to technology. When i am unsure if it can be delivered in a secure manner and when i am not certain how much work the implementation is....

With regard to haproxy. I am working it on. Its just a matter of time till its here.
    Its also debate weather to do it via ticket or add automation to my module/automation.

I'm happy to spin you up a demo vps for day, if you are an existing client.

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @SGraf said:

@skorous said:

@SGraf said: This is possible because i have developed a new custom module for the billing system, that allows the Provisioning LXC based vps.

I prefer not to make promises with regard to technology. When i am unsure if it can be delivered in a secure manner and when i am not certain how much work the implementation is....

Perfectly reasonable. Most people will take "it's something I don't think I can do securely but I haven't given up yet" as "Yes".

With regard to haproxy. I am working it on. Its just a matter of time till its here.
    Its also debate weather to do it via ticket or add automation to my module/automation.

Okay, that's a Good Thing (tm) . I'm a fan of controlling my own destiny so automation is preferred but honestly it rarely changes so ticketing wouldn't be a major issue.

I am but I've got a couple extra that I keep around for testing, etc.. which was why I wondered about converting one to LXC. Plus then if ( ha ha, who am I kidding when ) I get sidetracked and it takes me a week to get back to it there's no issue. Put a ticket in and we'll go from there?

• @mikho said:

@cold said:

@FAT32 said:

From memory, there has been an increase of price on current hardware in 4-5 locations.

And its not small change increases, we are talking about $/€ 10/month or more ….

Not to mention the licenses, whmcs price is insane and moving to Blesta is a cheaper alternative.

@mikho said:

@cold said:

@FAT32 said:

all good, I also canceled already a few and will also cancel what's rest of them... life goes on !

• coldcold OG
    edited November 2023

10 € for ipv6 only LCX good joke !

@skorous said:

@SGraf said:

@skorous said:

Perfectly reasonable. Most people will take "it's something I don't think I can do securely but I haven't given up yet" as "Yes".

Okay, that's a Good Thing (tm) . I'm a fan of controlling my own destiny so automation is preferred but honestly it rarely changes so ticketing wouldn't be a major issue.

I am but I've got a couple extra that I keep around for testing, etc.. which was why I wondered about converting one to LXC. Plus then if ( ha ha, who am I kidding when ) I get sidetracked and it takes me a week to get back to it there's no issue. Put a ticket in and we'll go from there?

Via Ticket please

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

edited November 2023

@cold said:
    all good, I also canceled already a few and will also cancel what's rest of them... life goes on !

Sure thing. Let me know if you need assistance finishing said cancellations....
    Especially considering the negativity you appear to be bringing towards me, the project and are showing in this tread in general, my motivation to try retain @cold (specifically) as a client is low...

From your Postings i gather you would have preferred me not getting involved....Maybe i should have just let the project shut down and fade away..... Technically closing the project would be a lot more cost efficient in the short to medium term....than continuing on my current quest to make it sustainable....

So far i have spent a lot of time on communication/getting back to people directly, weather its here on the forums or via mail/ticket in an order to provide a good amount of transparency about what is going on.

There is also a good deal of engineering that has taken place in order to ensure that the tooling is there and that the pricing/service specification can stay the way it currently is for the foreseeable future. Be that moving to a more cost efficient billing solution or working on a provisioning or management for LXC, so that we can move away from third party panels (that also add quite a bit of recurring cost)...

@cold said:

I see you have chosen to ignore the 6 Euro (256 MB ram) package, presumably just so you have a way to bring more negativity to the thread..... (The comparable package from before was 7USD, which should be close enough.... AND the new one has more disk space...).

I would argue before it was IPv6 only as well...
    Right now all of the services provisioned have a shared ipv4. With 21 Port Forwards (up from 20) PLUS The usual extra SSH-Port forward. Technically one could argue this is a slight improvement.
    However... I have chosen not to include the NAT/Port Forwards as part of the marketing materials/order forms/e-mails/... - Because this way they are not part of the "advertised service/specification"... Its a nice bonus item that will remain as long as it is not causing any issues. However if i where to to see an increase in abuse, then new services will eventually be provisioned without it...

On the subject of features that are new.... You did notice that before vps where provisioned with a /71 ipv6 per vps. This now is a routed /64....

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @SGraf said:

@cold said:

Sure thing. Let me know if you need assistance finishing said cancellations....
    Especially considering the negativity you appear to be bringing towards me, the project and are showing in this tread in general, my motivation to try retain @cold (specifically) as a client is low...

From your Postings i gather you would have preferred me not getting involved....Maybe i should have just let the project shut down and fade away..... Technically closing the project would be a lot more cost efficient in the short to medium term....than continuing on my current quest to make it sustainable....

So far i have spent a lot of time on communication/getting back to people directly, weather its here on the forums or via mail/ticket in an order to provide a good amount of transparency about what is going on.

There is also a good deal of engineering that has taken place in order to ensure that the tooling is there and that the pricing/service specification can stay the way it currently is for the foreseeable future. Be that moving to a more cost efficient billing solution or working on a provisioning or management for LXC, so that we can move away from third party panels (that also add quite a bit of recurring cost)...

@cold said:

I see you have chosen to ignore the 6 Euro (256 MB ram) package, presumably just so you have a way to bring more negativity to the thread..... (The comparable package from before was 7USD, which should be close enough.... AND the new one has more disk space...).

I would argue before it was IPv6 only as well...
    Right now all of the services provisioned have a shared ipv4. With 21 Port Forwards (up from 20) PLUS The usual extra SSH-Port forward. Technically one could argue this is a slight improvement.
    However... I have chosen not to include the NAT/Port Forwards as part of the marketing materials/order forms/e-mails/... - Because this way they are not part of the "advertised service/specification"... Its a nice bonus item that will remain as long as it is not causing any issues. However if i where to to see an increase in abuse, then new services will eventually be provisioned without it...

On the subject of features that are new.... You did notice that before vps where provisioned with a /71 ipv6 per vps. This now is a routed /64....

you don't need to keep me as a client... there are plenty others who have similar or better prices.... wish you all the best.
    I'm not bringing negativity to the thread.
    Since I'm not the only one who leaves you that must say something about your business plans.

@cold @SGraf

Stepping in here as an Administrator of the forum; time to end this discussion as it’s not going anywhere.

Let’s talk about something else.

Thanked by (4)FrankZ cold skorous ehab

@mikho said:
    @cold @SGraf

Stepping in here as an Administrator of the forum; time to end this discussion as it’s not going anywhere.

Certainly! Different Topic.....

Now that LXC is finished, I've started working on the orchestration/automation/integration for KVM.
    So we'll see where that goes :)

Thanked by (1)ialexpw

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @mikho said:
    @cold @SGraf

Ok

• @SGraf said:

I do not care about the price hikes, proxy or nat, but no tun/tap is a dealbreaker for me.
    Time to move the probes somewhere else. :disappointed:

Thanked by (1)bdl
  • @rcy026 said:

@SGraf said:

I do not care about the price hikes, proxy or nat, but no tun/tap is a dealbreaker for me.

That one is problematic, yeah ...

@skorous said:

@rcy026 said:

@SGraf said:

That one is problematic, yeah ...

Already working on the KVM module. And with those, tun/tap shouldn't be a problem.

the todo list for improving mrvm, is quite....long....

Thanked by (1)skorous

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

Another Update... I am expecting/predicting quite a bit of negative comments on this.
    I do understand that some users will be quite upset, i accept this fact and cannot change it.

Over the last weeks i found myself wondering a few times, if i should have just left the project as it. Let it fade away or die out eventually - instead spending time, money and most importantly energy to pick it up, attempt to make it sustainable and improve it.

Before i got started on this journey, i had a picture in my mind on how the community would perceive my efforts for mrVM. Reality was quite a bit different from imagination based on the responses that i got from this forum. Similarly not everything turned out as expected/predicted. However there have also been quite a few motivating conversations/... that came in via chat, ticket,.... - So those are what is keeping me going with the project.

From my point of view, today's posting/mail is about the state of things in general. This is one of those situations where its pretty much impossible to win. So the best i can do is offer transparency/insights where possible.

Official Mail Below:

Dear MrVM Clients!

After careful considerations and evaluation, the following Locations will be discontinued. Any Services deployed on the affected Servers terminate on the Dates shown below.
    The decision to take this step was not taken lightly. MrVM is ensuring that anyone affected has at least a month (or more), to find a suitable alternative arrangement.

Current Services: Any time remaining on the services after the closure date will be added to your account balance (calculated by days remaining).

Closing Locations - Europe:

• Dronten-NL (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)
    • BG (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)

Closing Locations - US:

• West Virginia/WV (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)
    • Seattle/SEA (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)
    • Ashburn/ASH (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)
    • Hillsboro/Hills (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)
    • ATL/Atlanta (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)

Closing Locations - Other:
    Sydney (Closure-Date: 2024-01-01)

Reasoning/Information:

When setting out on the journey of improving MrVM and making it sustainable, one of my aims/goals was transparency about the process. In this Section you will find the reasoning for The discontinuation of the service locations listed above.

• Dronten-NL: Better Location available in .NL. Future Services delivered in Amsterdam. Low-User-Count (Before: ≤ 40 Services/Now: ≤ 30).
    • BG/Bulgaria: Outdated OS (OVZ6), No ‘safe’/reasonable upgrade-Path to a modern Kernel/Userland.
    • WV: Very Low User Count (Before: ≤ 25/Now: ≤ 20), Supplier would like to discontinue this service, or move it to a different Location/IP.
    • SEA: Very Low User Count (Before: ≤ 40/Now: ≤ 30)
    • ASH: Very Low User Count (Before/Now: ≤ 20)
    • Hills: Very Low User Count (Before: ≤ 20/Now: = 15)
    • ATL: Moderate User Count, but not enough to sustain its operational cost. // Consolidating US-Locations. A replacement location will be online soon (LXC based).
    • Sydney: Supplier Side Price increase on Jan 15. Total Cost to operate this location would increase by about 8 to 10x.

Remaining Locations:
    Any other locations should remain operational, if nothing unexpected happens (such as supplier side price increases).

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @SGraf said:
    Another Update... I am expecting/predicting quite a bit of negative comments on this.
    I do understand that some users will be quite upset, i accept this fact and cannot change it.

Over the last weeks i found myself wondering a few times, if i should have just left the project as it. Let it fade away or die out eventually - instead spending time, money and most importantly energy to pick it up, attempt to make it sustainable and improve it.

Before i got started on this journey, i had a picture in my mind on how the community would perceive my efforts for mrVM. Reality was quite a bit different from imagination based on the responses that i got from this forum. Similarly not everything turned out as expected/predicted. However there have also been quite a few motivating conversations/... that came in via chat, ticket,.... - So those are what is keeping me going with the project.

From my point of view, today's posting/mail is about the state of things in general. This is one of those situations where its pretty much impossible to win. So the best i can do is offer transparency/insights where possible.

Official Mail Below:

Dear MrVM Clients!

After careful considerations and evaluation, the following Locations will be discontinued. Any Services deployed on the affected Servers terminate on the Dates shown below.
    The decision to take this step was not taken lightly. MrVM is ensuring that anyone affected has at least a month (or more), to find a suitable alternative arrangement.

Current Services: Any time remaining on the services after the closure date will be added to your account balance (calculated by days remaining).

Closing Locations - Europe:

• Dronten-NL (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)
    • BG (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)

Closing Locations - US:

• West Virginia/WV (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)
    • Seattle/SEA (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)
    • Ashburn/ASH (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)
    • Hillsboro/Hills (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)
    • ATL/Atlanta (Closure-Date: 2023-12-30)

Closing Locations - Other:
    Sydney (Closure-Date: 2024-01-01)

Reasoning/Information:

When setting out on the journey of improving MrVM and making it sustainable, one of my aims/goals was transparency about the process. In this Section you will find the reasoning for The discontinuation of the service locations listed above.

• Dronten-NL: Better Location available in .NL. Future Services delivered in Amsterdam. Low-User-Count (Before: ≤ 40 Services/Now: ≤ 30).
    • BG/Bulgaria: Outdated OS (OVZ6), No ‘safe’/reasonable upgrade-Path to a modern Kernel/Userland.
    • WV: Very Low User Count (Before: ≤ 25/Now: ≤ 20), Supplier would like to discontinue this service, or move it to a different Location/IP.
    • SEA: Very Low User Count (Before: ≤ 40/Now: ≤ 30)
    • ASH: Very Low User Count (Before/Now: ≤ 20)
    • Hills: Very Low User Count (Before: ≤ 20/Now: = 15)
    • ATL: Moderate User Count, but not enough to sustain its operational cost. // Consolidating US-Locations. A replacement location will be online soon (LXC based).
    • Sydney: Supplier Side Price increase on Jan 15. Total Cost to operate this location would increase by about 8 to 10x.

Remaining Locations:
    Any other locations should remain operational, if nothing unexpected happens (such as supplier side price increases).

do we get out money back for the remaining periods?

edited November 2023

@cold said:

As stated above: The default mode for now is to credit the remaining service time to account balances.

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• coldcold OG
    edited November 2023

@SGraf said:

@cold said:

As stated above: The default mode for now is to credit the remaining service time to account balances.

what shall I do with account balance if I don't want to stay with you anymore? (I said it in a positive way ) don't try to bring more negativity to this threat.

@cold said:
    what shall I do with account balance if I don't want to stay with you anymore? (I said it in a positive way ) don't try to bring more negativity to this threat.

The reason why i did not say more beyond that, is that we'll have to look at everything on a case-by-case basis.

Most of the services that have been brought over from mikho's system had the "no refunds" flag set/accepted on ordering.
    (Similarly, as far as i am aware, previously when locations closed/went offline there have not been any refunds.).
    That said, i am still crediting even those accounts with a prorated refund, because i do feel its the correct thing to do.

Regarding possibilities with account balances we can discuss this in due time. First i would like to ensure that i work thru the list of scheduling cancellations and issuing partial refunds.

For anything else regarding this matter please open a ticket so i can track this more easily. As i suspect this will be a case-by-case thing anyway.

Thanked by (4)bdl cold FrankZ bikegremlin

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★