How to quit data hoarding

2»

Comments

• I will never stop data hoarding
    I will own my data
    and I will be happy

Thanked by (1)crunchbits

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited November 2023

on a serious note, i once had like 600GB of stored "precious" data more than 15years ago.

one day the bloody disk failed, and was quoted US$1500 to recover it.

being a lowend wage worker this naturally was out of my league and had to regret letting it go.

now, cant even remember what was lost.

side track, found some pictures from 12 years back when merging my backups, was like WTF, why did i take all these meaningless pics that makes no sense today? so people change and things that mattered in the past (like 0day warez etc.) can be extra baggage today.

TLDR what i do now is keep my whole life in a few folders and double / triple replicate from time to time.

so i can only imagine for those hoarding 100TBs how much harder this will be to filter.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny loay

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• I have been hoarding only a few TBs, but I quickly realized that it was becoming a problem. I have recently started transferring all the data to external drives, and in a few months, I will go back to those drives and format the ones that I haven't used in a while.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Hosting Provider

I used to be a data hoarder. Then I lost a Bitcoin wallet with about 823 BTC on it.

Switched over to being a data dealer.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny localhost
  • @Nekki said: how do you quit?

Use cloud.
    Its like having sex and the other person says something so weird that you literally lose the mood and the hardness.

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• @cybertech said:
    on a serious note, i once had like 600GB of stored "precious" data more than 15years ago.

one day the bloody disk failed, and was quoted US$1500 to recover it.

being a lowend wage worker this naturally was out of my league and had to regret letting it go.

now, cant even remember what was lost.

side track, found some pictures from 12 years back when merging my backups, was like WTF, why did i take all these meaningless pics that makes no sense today? so people change and things that mattered in the past (like 0day warez etc.) can be extra baggage today.

TLDR what i do now is keep my whole life in a few folders and double / triple replicate from time to time.

so i can only imagine for those hoarding 100TBs how much harder this will be to filter.

Wrote a script 20 some years ago to do just this and run it on a cron works well most of the time

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.