WHMCS Replacement - Which billing panel?

MicronodeMicronode Hosting Provider

As WHMCS have decided that we don’t already pay them enough money for their bloated buggy billing system it’s time to move away.

Maybe with the savings we can add another location or two to our instances platform.

What panel do you recommend/like/have experience with?

Bonus points if it’s quick and simple to migrate from WHMCS.

Extra bonus points if it’s easy to port WHMCS modules over (I’ll have to rewrite the Micronode module regardless but I’m hoping some/most of the code can be reused)

Extra extra bonus points if a provider here can give us a licence for “X billing panel” for a reasonable cost - preferably billed annually.

Which Billing panel do you prefer?
  1. Hostbill36 votes
    1. Clientexec
      19.44%
    2. Blesta
      61.11%
    3. Other
      19.44%
Tagged:

Comments

• @Jord TIME TO SHINE

Thanked by (3)Jord Micronode webcraft

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• @Jab said:
    @Jord TIME TO SHINE

Thank you for the mention, I like to SHINE :D

I'm happy to see if we can help, feel free to DM me if you'd like. You can see our software/demo in the link in my sig.

Thanked by (2)Micronode webcraft

BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• c1vhostingc1vhosting Hosting Provider

@natvps_uk said:
    As WHMCS have decided that we don’t already pay them enough money for their bloated buggy billing system it’s time to move away.

Maybe with the savings we can add another location or two to our instances platform.

Extra bonus points if it’s easy to port WHMCS modules over (I’ll have to rewrite the Micronode module regardless but I’m hoping some/most of the code can be reused)

Extra extra bonus points if a provider here can give us a licence for “X billing panel” for a reasonable cost - preferably billed annually.

Clientexec.

Thanked by (1)Micronode

C1V hosting: Italy's Leading Data Center | Unbeatable VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Colocation | Cutting-Edge Facilities in Pomezia | Where Your Success Takes Center Stage.
    🚀 VPN for €5/year 🚀 | Follow us on Telegram

• Buy NexusBytes VPS to run your main site and Blesta is free for the family!

Other providers that offer free Blesta include BuyVM and InceptionHosting.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• MicronodeMicronode Hosting Provider

I wonder what the terms are on this. If I was to buy a VPS from @InceptionHosting and claim the free Blesta Licence would it have to be hosted within Inception Hosting’s network to comply with the licence? Not that I’d be against that at all, I like to keep the control panel as far away from our network as possible.

Can I use the licence to sell services that are hosted outside of IHs network?

Surely there must be a catch as that is a very good deal.

• host_chost_c Hosting Provider

@natvps_uk

We have the same dilemma, alto, the price is not the issue, the bugs, oh man, the bugs, rats, and so on., and not necessarily of WHMCS, the modules on the marketplace, and here I am talking about the automation part. We were so naive to think if a software cost $ dollars, then it should work out of the box right? well, not quite....

If apps on the marketplace for WHMCS ( as of my knowledge the biggest for providers) are full of bugs, in light of this, how would the less known/spread billing systems behave? We have some friends, also in the provider sphere, they tried blesta, after a few months they moved back to WHMCS, either because they did not find the modules they wanted, or because it did not work out for them.

If you find something better, in terms of stability, functions, do not forget to post it here.

Host-C - VPS Services Provider - AS211462

"If there is no struggle there is no progress"

• @natvps_uk said:

I wonder what the terms are on this. If I was to buy a VPS from @InceptionHosting and claim the free Blesta Licence would it have to be hosted within Inception Hosting’s network to comply with the licence? Not that I’d be against that at all, I like to keep the control panel as far away from our network as possible.

9 times out of 10 yes they are internal licenses. @hosteons had one on for BF

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

I think Clientexec is the most user friendly, both user and admin end, but it has some missing features. Better to custom develop stuff for it. Hostbill is fully featured, but admin UI sucks.

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• edited November 2023

@natvps_uk said:

@Francisco has clear rules on the DirectAdmin and Blesta licenses.
    The license must be used in their VPS or shared hosting accounts; otherwise, it will be suspended.
    There's no rules against selling things located elsewhere.

• @natvps_uk said:

Does IH still ship any sort of licenses with their services?

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited November 2023

@natvps_uk said:

Yes, these providers have bulk licensing deals with Blesta to offer free licenses, but the catch is that it has to be on their network (internal licenses). The point of them giving out these licenses is to encourage people to purchase a VPS with them :smile: Blesta licensing is already really cheap, only $14.95/month and you can also buy owned licenses starting at $250 one time, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to just go directly with Blesta and then host it wherever you wish, especially if you already have an established business. They also have a 44% off discount on owned licenses at the moment, expiring in a few days (for Black Friday). One of the best benefits of Blesta is that I am pretty sure that they have a completely open code-base, meaning that you can modify the panel in any way you wish. The only files that are encoded are the files that are required for Blesta licensing.

Hostbill is OK, but they charge an extremely high upfront cost, and I am pretty sure that everything is encoded unless you pay a ton of fees. HostBill also charges for each support ticket that you open, and will charge for certain integrations unless it's bundled in your plan. It's extremely expensive upfront and you may get eaten by fees (i.e. for opening tickets), but in the long term it might end up being worth it.

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• crunchbitscrunchbits Hosting Provider

@Jord said:

@Jab said:
    @Jord TIME TO SHINE

I'm happy to see if we can help, feel free to DM me if you'd like. You can see our software/demo in the link in my sig.

You know, I do have a free BillingServ premium license @natvps_uk

1 lucky Crunchbits customer can get it ;)

• Maybe support FOSSBilling and forever avoid price gouging? :wink:

Thanked by (1)skhron
  • @adly said:
    Maybe support FOSSBilling and forever avoid price gouging? :wink:

And lose all your hair fixing shit

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @AuroraZero said:

To be fair, it’s come a long way since BoxBilling and is being improved regularly. Though, admittedly there’s still quite a bit to do…

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG
    edited November 2023

@adly said:

@AuroraZero said:

To be fair, it’s come a long way since BoxBilling and is being improved regularly. Though, admittedly there’s still quite a bit to do…

I'm not familiar with it. Is FOSSBilling a spin off of BoxB?

Edit: Nvm, I see it is.

Thanked by (1)adly

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• edited November 2023

@c1vhosting said:

@natvps_uk said:

Clientexec.

Why not Blesta or Hostbill?

• just use email
    pretend its the 80s

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• @crunchbits said:

@Jord said:

@Jab said:
    @Jord TIME TO SHINE

You know, I do have a free BillingServ premium license @natvps_uk

1 lucky Crunchbits customer can get it ;)

Count me in!

@natvps_uk you can get Blesta license from @hostEONS . They even mentioned in their welcome mail that it can be hosted outside, as long as blesta is routed through their network.

Thanked by (2)crunchbits hostEONS
  • where is your offer? I want to buy buy buy

• webmashwebmash Hosting ProviderServices Provider

Both Blesta and CE are great, CE needs to roll out version 7 though as its backend is ugly, and clunky. Both have good integration with most hosting panels, and billing providers and the communities on both are starting to become a lot more active with people leaving WHMCS/WebPros. Its down to personal preference and cost, ours for now is Blesta.

Thanked by (1)chris
  • Blesta is half baked panel without proper domain management. Yes, you can modify it, but codebase also very complicated.

Clientexec promises v7 ages ago. No delivery. Indicates bs.

Hostbill is viable solution as price is one-time and you pay for support and updates only.

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • skhronskhron Hosting Provider

At scale any PHP solution will suck (and even more if it is using ioncube). My vote for own in-house solution which does exactly what you want in a way you would like it to.

• webmashwebmash Hosting ProviderServices Provider

@legendary said:
    Blesta is half baked panel without proper domain management. Yes, you can modify it, but codebase also very complicated.

Clientexec promises v7 ages ago. No delivery. Indicates bs.

Hostbill is viable solution as price is one-time and you pay for support and updates only.

CE is dragging its feet I must admit, the current backend is awful. We've found Blesta okay in terms of making changes we need and support is pretty good. Hostbill is very good, but might be outside of some peoples price points.

• I've also heard that Upmind is gaining popularity but it's not self-hosted, looks like it's still free during the BETA period although I haven't seen it in the wild yet https://upmind.com/industries/web-host-billing-system

• edited November 2023

Is paymenter still in beta or are the v0.x releases a working version?

• @Otus9051 said:
    just use email
    pretend its the 80s

Just let customers come to sales office.
    Pretend it's the 60s.

DYK yoursunny summer host has a sales office?
    We are conveniently located across the street from Starfleet Headquarters.

• c1vhostingc1vhosting Hosting Provider

@Joseph said:

@c1vhosting said:

@natvps_uk said:

Clientexec.

Why not Blesta or Hostbill?

I love how Clientexec and their support works

C1V hosting: Italy's Leading Data Center | Unbeatable VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Colocation | Cutting-Edge Facilities in Pomezia | Where Your Success Takes Center Stage.
    🚀 VPN for €5/year 🚀 | Follow us on Telegram

• @skhron said:
    At scale any PHP solution will suck (and even more if it is using ioncube). My vote for own in-house solution which does exactly what you want in a way you would like it to.

I think you're vastly over estimating the scale if you think simply by using PHP, the solution won't scale well enough to serve any web hosting provider.

Thanked by (1)ialexpw