WHMCS Replacement - Which billing panel?

Comments

• MicronodeMicronode Hosting Provider

I’ve slept on this and had a few thoughts, we’re going to test Blesta, clientexec and work with @Jord over the coming weeks to see if we can come up with a solution.

I’m also thinking of another approach where we build billing and support into the Micronode panel. The panel is currently going through a rewrite anyway and this could make sense - especially as we’re only selling one product (instance credits).

This would obviously be a huge amount of work in comparison to an off the shelf solution but it seems like the best long term investment.

Thanked by (1)Jord
  • @yoursunny said:

@Otus9051 said:
    just use email
    pretend its the 80s

Just let customers come to sales office.
    Pretend it's the 60s.

DYK yoursunny summer host has a sales office?
    We are conveniently located across the street from Starfleet Headquarters.

you write nice stories

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• @webcraft said:
    Is paymenter still in beta or are the v0.x releases a working version?

@sh97 😂🤣

Thanked by (1)sh97
  • @skhron said:
    At scale any PHP solution will suck (and even more if it is using ioncube). My vote for own in-house solution which does exactly what you want in a way you would like it to.

What, yes WHCMS does suck, because it does a shiton of SQL queries, some of which are not necessary.
    But to say any, nah.

• DewlanceDewlance Hosting ProviderOG

Blesta & WISECP with a lifetime updates license.

Dewlance - Affordable Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller Hosting
    WHMCS Addon - DemoTiger Video KB - Tutorial Videos for Hosting Providers.

• @dosai said:

@webcraft said:

@sh97 😂🤣

?

• @webcraft said:

@dosai said:

@webcraft said:

@sh97 😂🤣

?

Xeroz.tech uses it on production. It's really really bad, they don't even have entries of my invoice or services.

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • skhronskhron Hosting Provider
    edited November 2023

@adly said:

@skhron said:
    At scale any PHP solution will suck (and even more if it is using ioncube). My vote for own in-house solution which does exactly what you want in a way you would like it to.

I think you're vastly over estimating the scale if you think simply by using PHP, the solution won't scale well enough to serve any web hosting provider.

No, it is based on benchmarks I have done when choosing billing solution. I think PHP has two issues:

1. Proprietary code is ionCube encoded, and to my testings it has enormous overhead
    2. Each request either launches new PHP interpreter process (CGI interface) or reparses scripts (FPM). Combined with first issue and complicated logics billing software has, it makes such solution vulnerable to slightest traffic spikes.

I see no valid reasons to have a cluster of tens of beefy servers just to be able to handle thousand of requests. And this is why we were forced to implement permanent challenge which drops any bot traffic at all.

@Neoon said: But to say any, nah.

Any commercial, I think :sweat_smile: Haven't tested FOSSBilling enough.

• iandkiandk Hosting ProviderOG

@skhron said:

@adly said:

@skhron said:

I think you're vastly over estimating the scale if you think simply by using PHP, the solution won't scale well enough to serve any web hosting provider.

No, it is based on benchmarks I have done when choosing billing solution. I think PHP has two issues:

1. Proprietary code is ionCube encoded, and to my testings it has enormous overhead
    2. Each request either launches new PHP interpreter process (CGI interface) or reparses scripts (FPM). Combined with first issue and complicated logics billing software has, it makes such solution vulnerable to slightest traffic spikes.

I see no valid reasons to have a cluster of tens of beefy servers just to be able to handle thousand of requests. And this is why we were forced to implement permanent challenge which drops any bot traffic at all.

With proper architecture, PHP can scale without any issues.
    I highly doubt any provider on LET/LES gets enough traffic where a PHP application is the bottleneck.

Implement proper caching mechanisms and background queues and you should be fine for 99% of the use cases.
    If that's still not enough you could implement an in-memory cache like Laravel Octane for instance.

Just because the popular PHP-based billing platforms have bad performance doesn't mean it's an issue with the language.

AMD EPYC / NVMe / 10GBPs KVM in Frankfurt - https://v6node.com
    Looking for an unbeatable AMD EPYC Baremetal Server in Frankfurt? Drop me a PM

@iandk said: Just because the popular PHP-based billing platforms have bad performance doesn't mean it's an issue with the language.

Maybe I have chosen the wrong wording but what I meant is developing own solution from scratch is the best possible option.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Hosting Provider

@skhron said:

Maybe specific to WHMCS (or billing software with databases?), but we used PHP years back to handle customer-facing reporting and display of stats (think Hetrix-type but for proprietary hardware) and it was all run off a pretty anemic dedicated server. We were handling roughly 22,000 requests a minute 24/7 and the server wasn't even breaking a sweat.

Of course, we didn't use ionCube and I can agree that our WHMCS starts to choke itself at 1/100th that kind of volume on much beefier hardware.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
    edited November 2023

@crunchbits said: we didn't use ionCube

Pure PHP and if written properly (with opCache and/or APCu/memcache/Redis on top of it) should behave normally (well, look at Facebook - AFAIK their social media backend is still on PHP), but all solutions I have tested (both WHMCS and Blesta) have same performance issues.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • The biggest problem when trying to move away from WHMCS is the lack of modules.

HostBill is one that comes close, but not enough to make most leave WHMCS for it.

Thanked by (2)c1vhosting host_c

SimpleSonic - We Make Fast... Easy!
    New High Performance Economy Shared Hosting Plans Available As Low As $1.46/mo

• @crunchbits said:

@skhron said:

Maybe specific to WHMCS (or billing software with databases?), but we used PHP years back to handle customer-facing reporting and display of stats (think Hetrix-type but for proprietary hardware) and it was all run off a pretty anemic dedicated server. We were handling roughly 22,000 requests a minute 24/7 and the server wasn't even breaking a sweat.

Of course, we didn't use ionCube and I can agree that our WHMCS starts to choke itself at 1/100th that kind of volume on much beefier hardware.

If you do your queries wise and optimize them, such as combining multiple queries into one.
    Which databases servers are optimized for, especially if you tell them to cache indexes in memory, its fast as fuck.

If you pull all rows or by values you didn't tell the database server to cache, well rip.
    Depending on the database engine you use, you either lock the entire table or rows.

If you fetch all rows in a table and at the same time you update one, your query is on hold until the update is done.
    Which is even worse if you have an engine, that locks the entire table.

• hostEONShostEONS Hosting ProviderOG

@sh97 said:

@crunchbits said:

@Jord said:

@Jab said:
    @Jord TIME TO SHINE

Thank you for the mention, I like to SHINE :D

I'm happy to see if we can help, feel free to DM me if you'd like. You can see our software/demo in the link in my sig.

You know, I do have a free BillingServ premium license @natvps_uk

1 lucky Crunchbits customer can get it ;)

Count me in!

@natvps_uk you can get Blesta license from @hostEONS . They even mentioned in their welcome mail that it can be hosted outside, as long as blesta is routed through their network.

Thanks for the mention

Yes we provide Free Blesta License with all our services

But Blesta itself has to be hosted on our network, though the servers that you manage through Blesta like your web server or VPS nodes etc... they can be hosted outside our network

Thanked by (1)sh97

hostEONS.com - 9 Locations for VPS (US and EU).. Free Blesta License, Free Windows 2019 License and more. Shared DA Hosting. AS142036 .. Ryzen 7950X Based VDS in SLC, LA and Dallas

• CalinCalin Hosting Provider

Try Paymenter

• My personal choice and recommendation is for Hostbill

I'm not sure if you can afford it, but if you can then go for it

Way better than any other Billing software.

1. Awesome fast support
    2. Regular patch and updates
    3. Multiple in-house plugins (specially for Hosting providers.
    4. No need for 3rd party modules
    5. User friendly and professional UI
    6. And more..

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions,

We’re going to go for the bespoke option. I took a look at the new Micronode panel over the last few evenings and made a fair amount of progress.

Considering we’d have to write a module for any of the options available this feels like the right thing to do.

Having a single panel for both billing and Instance management is definitely going to be more user friendly and easier to support.

So far we’ve implemented Fraud detection at signup, credit purchases and started on the support ticket aspect.

This is also the cheapest long term solution and one less monthly/annually outgoing means we can invest the money into additional locations.

I’m hoping to have this ready for early next year and it will be released with at least two new locations.

Thanked by (4)yoursunny go626201 sh97 loay
  • @natvps_uk said:
    at least two new locations.

🎉🎈

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @natvps_uk said: at least two new locations.

Hopefully include one new location in Singapore or any southeast asia location please. :p
    Similar to Korea bandwidth setup is acceptable. (Or With double bandwidth ;) )

MY/SG & Worldwide Latency Test V3 : http://www.mywebping.com (27 February 2021 Updated)
    MY-Unifi Home SmokePing: http://smokeping.mywebping.com/smokeping/

• webmashwebmash Hosting ProviderServices Provider

@natvps_uk said:
    Thanks for everyone’s suggestions,

Wishing you the best with your development, it sounds like the right decision for your business. Don;t forget to share your progress with the community.

• @webmash said:
    Don't forget to share your progress with the community.

Don't forget to share your source code with the world.

AGPL

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

@yoursunny said:

@webmash said:
    Don't forget to share your progress with the community.

Don't forget to share your source code with the world.

AGPL

Might opensource the existing panel, won’t be open sourcing the new one.

One of the major changes to implement billing was to create a signup form, historically we've always created the account after an order has taken place and the credentials are then sent to the user via a WHMCS module.

The biggest challenge here was implementing fraud detection using the two providers we use currently, VPN detection and false detail detection.

We've also added a hidden captcha and address validation using the google maps API.

The panel itself is coming together, we've added a cart and products page:

Email address verification is also in place and the templates are built for email notifications for the following:

• Order confirmation
    • Resources Expiring soon
    • Resources Suspended
    • Resources will soon be deleted
    • Service suspension (Abuse)

Still so much to do, few tidy up bits to complete then I'm starting on the ticketing elements.

Thanked by (2)loay sh97
  • @natvps_uk said:
    One of the major changes to implement billing was to create a signup form, historically we've always created the account after an order has taken place and the credentials are then sent to the user via a WHMCS module.

The biggest challenge here was implementing fraud detection using the two providers we use currently, VPN detection and false detail detection.

We've also added a hidden captcha and address validation using the google maps API.

Email address verification is also in place and the templates are built for email notifications for the following:

• Order confirmation
    • Resources Suspended

Still so much to do, few tidy up bits to complete then I'm starting on the ticketing elements.

Your work is inspiring! Good luck with the new panel :)

Thanked by (1)Micronode

✨🎁 Low end deals Telegram tracker: https://t.me/lowendweb

• @natvps_uk said:

• Order confirmation
    • Resources Suspended

Looks really nice! Awesome that you are doing it in Django.
    Good luck, looking forward to it.

Thanked by (1)Micronode

Quick update for today as I haven't had much time to spend on the panel. Managed to get a few hours this afternoon between putting the Christmas tree up and running a few errands.

The products view is now built and the checkout is almost complete. The next task is to finish integrating PayPal and Stripe.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited December 2023

The Panel looks nice, regarding Resources Expiring soon.
    I got the initial idea from OVH, to spam your mailbox if your service expires.

I do send a 30 days, 14 days, 7 days, 1 day, 0 day, stop and termination notice.
    Also a renewal confirmation on microLXC.

@Neoon said:
    The Panel looks nice, regarding Resources Expiring soon.
    I got the initial idea from OVH, to spam your mailbox if your service expires.

I do send a 30 days, 14 days, 7 days, 1 day, 0 day, stop and termination notice.
    Also a renewal confirmation on microLXC.

Oh yeah I'm going to go totally overboard with the email notifications, I've also added notifications to the panel.

There is no concept in the new panel of a service renewal. Once the resources expire the user needs to purchase a new resource package either prior to expiry or within the 3 day grace period before suspension.

This is mainly to prevent support, currently we have a lot of clients forgetting they have a service with us then asking for a refund after auto renewal and this will prevent that.

Thanked by (1)loay

Few minor updates this evening

The cart/checkout is functionally complete with Paypal fully integrated. Few styling fixes to do but nothing major:

The Resources page is now built, this shows the "Credit" status of the account with the created date and expiry date. Nothing too flash here, just a simple table view which should be self explanatory: