Testing the Quality of Hosting Providers

Now that I've purchased way too many shared hosting accounts on BF/CM than I'll need, how can I set each one up to test their quality (speed, features, uptime and whatever other relevant criteria)?

What is worthwhile testing and comparing and what tools and setups would be most suitable to do so? How can the results later be judged to determine the good, the bad and the ugly? What would tell me the comparative technical qualities between the various providers?

The above is regarding shared hosting. But I'd also be interested in knowing how to also compare quality between VPS accounts with my different providers.

On a tangential note, after deciding which host to use as my primary provider, what use can I make of all my extra shared hosting accounts with the other providers? And the same question with the extra VPS accounts.

Comments

• AuroraZeroAuroraZero Retired
    edited November 2023

Play around until you start breaking stuff you will weed them out fast enough

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• What could break?

• @Joseph said:
    What could break?

Try it an find out

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Hosting ProviderOG

@Joseph said: shared hosting accounts

perhaps https://wpbenchmark.io/ could help benchmark shared hosting services, but even then I'd look also into the resources they allow you to use under CloudLinux (PMEM, CPU%, EP, IOps etc) as that makes a decent difference too if you get traffic on your site.

CrownCloud - Internet Services | Los Angeles, California | Frankfurt, Germany | Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Atlanta, Georgia | Miami, Florida

• how to also compare quality between VPS accounts with my different providers.

https://www.vpsbenchmarks.com/yabs/get_started

• Do they support IPv6? How good is their mail setup (deliverability)?

• @Joseph said:
    Now that I've purchased way too many shared hosting accounts on BF/CM than I'll need, how can I set each one up to test their quality (speed, features, uptime and whatever other relevant criteria)?

What is worthwhile testing and comparing and what tools and setups would be most suitable to do so? How can the results later be judged to determine the good, the bad and the ugly? What would tell me the comparative technical qualities between the various providers?

The above is regarding shared hosting. But I'd also be interested in knowing how to also compare quality between VPS accounts with my different providers.

On a tangential note, after deciding which host to use as my primary provider, what use can I make of all my extra shared hosting accounts with the other providers? And the same question with the extra VPS accounts.

To see the true worth of a provider, you need to see how they handle a crisis, so you are going to have to find a way to sabotage their operations. You could consider DoSing them, or perhaps infiltrating the DC they’re in and unplugging cables, maybe even becoming a support technician with the provider directly and delete masses of customer data.

This will help you to understand who is the correct host for you.

• @Nekki said:

@Joseph said:

To see the true worth of a provider, you need to see how they handle a crisis, so you are going to have to find a way to sabotage their operations. You could consider DoSing them, or perhaps infiltrating the DC they’re in and unplugging cables, maybe even becoming a support technician with the provider directly and delete masses of customer data.

This will help you to understand who is the correct host for you.

I prefer the DC route. Leaves no doubt and look free cables!!!!

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited November 2023

I would start by testing the effectiveness of their FLAK gunners by performing a low-flying air raid...

...Khhk... roger, Red One... khhk... I'm divin' in... over...

P.S.
    There's no cammo, it might be a trap!

On a more serious note, these are my (basic & primitive) performance testing methods.

In addition to that, it takes some time to see what the technical support is like.

Handling crisis and problems speaks volumes, but that's not always possible to test yourself - MDDHosting example (handling shit wonderfully and owning their mistake).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:
    I would start by testing the effectiveness of their FLAK gunners by performing a low-flying air raid...

P.S.

On a more serious note, these are my (basic & primitive) performance testing methods.

In addition to that, it takes some time to see what the technical support is like.

Handling crisis and problems speaks volumes, but that's not always possible to test yourself - MDDHosting example (handling shit wonderfully and owning their mistake).

Then you have one thag has been around for years and when something goes wrong on your end not so much as an email about it they just shut the service down

• @AuroraZero said:

@bikegremlin said:

P.S.

Then you have one thag has been around for years and when something goes wrong on your end not so much as an email about it they just shut the service down

Who shuts down your service?

• @Joseph said:

@AuroraZero said:

@bikegremlin said:

P.S.

Not naming and shaming I still like the guy. Just pissed me off for doing it without notification.

• @AuroraZero said:

@Joseph said:

@AuroraZero said:

@bikegremlin said:

P.S.

Not naming and shaming I still like the guy. Just pissed me off for doing it without notification.

I don't mean by name which individual; I meant which provider.

What was the reason they gave for the shutdown? Was it restored afterwards?

• @Joseph said:

@AuroraZero said:

@Joseph said:

@AuroraZero said:

@bikegremlin said:

P.S.

I don't mean by name which individual; I meant which provider.

What was the reason they gave for the shutdown? Was it restored afterwards?

If I name the provider then everyone will know his name.

NO and NO I am just taking my business elsewhere.