Has anyone migrated from Apple Photos to Nextcloud or other self hosted solution?

Since I self host almost everything I am thinking to migrate my photo library too (225GB). Has anyone here done this? I am curious to hear what problems you have had or still have with your new setup, and what you are using now, if Nextcloud or else. I was thinking of Nextcloud because I already have it and it has mobile apps which IIRC should support automatic upload of photos to NC. But if there is something better for photos I'm all ears.

404 Error: Signature Not Found

Comments

• NextCloud was horrible for me.
    I don't know if it was NextCloud itself or the fact that I was hosting it on a 7 year old phone, but it took ages to do about anything. Now I am sure it would definitely work if you put it on something like proxmox, but I would much rather use SFTP than have a broken backup system.
    I did benchmark the phone itself and the read/writes were fine, I even ran h5ai on it to actually test if there's something wrong with downloading/uploading from/to it but it seemed fine. My router is also great (by ISP, but great great QoS, even has 512MB of RAM) so its also not an issue.

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• @Otus9051 said: was hosting it on a 7 year old phone

I have fun, but not very performant experiences using phones as servers. Try it on 'regular' hardware, or a VPS: works super for me an my 'sphere of influence'.

@vitobotta said: I was thinking of Nextcloud because I already have it and it has mobile apps which IIRC should support automatic upload of photos to NC.

I have zero experience running Apple OS's, but for Linux and Android I trust the Nextcloud client to sync (or only upload, in Android's case) my files and make it easily sharable in case I'm inclined so. Do you just have Nextcloud installed somewhere, or have you already actively used it?

Automatic upload on Android works reliably, but takes some fidgeting to get configured ("GUI-only", no configuration files I could find to easily set up directories to be uploaded).

Recently someone complained about the limitations of the native Apple cloud solution, so I'd be interested in your guinea-pig experience :-)

Good luck!

• NekkiNekki OG
    edited December 2023

@vitobotta said:
    Since I self host almost everything I am thinking to migrate my photo library too (225GB). Has anyone here done this? I am curious to hear what problems you have had or still have with your new setup, and what you are using now, if Nextcloud or else. I was thinking of Nextcloud because I already have it and it has mobile apps which IIRC should support automatic upload of photos to NC. But if there is something better for photos I'm all ears.

I’ve never come across anything that doesn’t work nicely other than Internxt, which was horribly slow. I’ve got complete photo library copies on Tresorit, OneDrive and Filen, the library sync in each case was flawless and decently fast.

• I've had issues syncing with the Nextcloud mobile client. So do check if the sync works for you.

I also tried Photoprism which lacks a mobile app. It's a progressive web app so you need another way to sync. I use Syncthing one way sync to an upload directory and a 2 hourly import job. You can also use other webdav upload clients. Some Photoprism features are paywalled.

Right now I'm using Immich which I like very much and is very similar to Google Photos. The facial recognition and object tagging seems to work well. However it is under heavy development so you will need to follow the frequent releases and keep the server and mobile client updates in sync on the same version. So far this is the closest I've found to being a Google Photos replacement.

• @Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

I’ve never come across anything that doesn’t work nicely other than Internxt, which was horribly slow. I’ve got complete photo library copies on Tresorit, OneDrive and Filen, the library sync in each case was flawless and decently fast.

I just wish tresorit wasn’t so expensive

Team push-ups!

• edited December 2023

@wankel said:

@Otus9051 said: was hosting it on a 7 year old phone

I have fun, but not very performant experiences using phones as servers. Try it on 'regular' hardware, or a VPS: works super for me an my 'sphere of influence'.

Its pretty performant, Exynos 7870, 3GB RAM

https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_J7_Prime_(samsung-on7xelte)

link is broken mind you, you need to probably copy and paste the whole thing

• @Otus9051 said:

Seems fun, better number-by-number specs than my VPS's, as far as amount of RAM, storage and number of CPU's concerned :-P

I have not yet run postmarketOS yet. How is your experience with it, outside of repurposing a phone as server?

• @wankel said:

@Otus9051 said:

Seems fun, better number-by-number specs than my VPS's, as far as amount of RAM, storage and number of CPU's concerned :-P

I have not yet run postmarketOS yet. How is your experience with it, outside of repurposing a phone as server?

Well currently mainline is on the works in collaboration with sleirsgoevy, we have got a lot working but not stuff like WiFi. Many people have managed to get RIL (specially people from SEA and Turkey) with working calls and stuff.

Thanked by (1)wankel

• +1 https://immich.app/
    Responsive developer and community

It just works.

• Yeah I am checking options and it seems that Immich is praised quite a lot

404 Error: Signature Not Found

• @Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

You get what you pay for.

Was the BF discount not sufficient?

• edited December 2023

@Nekki said:

@Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

No recurring = no bueno

I'd hop on if they allowed users to renew at discounted pricing next year but nope

'Customers already subscribed to a paid Service Plan as of 20 November 2023 are not eligible to participate in the Promotion. The special offer is valid for 12 months starting from the start of the subscription, eSign & Email encryption add-ons are free of charge for 12 months starting from the start of the subscription. '

Team push-ups!

• @atth said: Right now I'm using Immich

@localhost said: +1 https://immich.app/

Thanks for mentioning! They even publish their app on F-Droid :-)

Thanked by (1)localhost
  • @Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

No recurring = no bueno

I'd hop on if they allowed users to renew at discounted pricing next year but nope

Quality costs, try it for £4/month and cancel if you consider it not worth double.

• @Nekki said:

@Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

No recurring = no bueno

Quality costs, try it for £4/month and cancel if you consider it not worth double.

I actually can’t justify the cost as I already have protondrive

Team push-ups!

• @Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

No recurring = no bueno

Fair enough, it seems lacking in features and overly expensive to me. How much are you paying?

• @localhost said:
    +1 https://immich.app/
    Responsive developer and community

It just works.

is it pronounced imm-ish or imm-itch

• @Nekki said:

@Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

No recurring = no bueno

Fair enough, it seems lacking in features and overly expensive to me. How much are you paying?

They keep bringing in those features slowly so works out! $400/2 years. I used everything else in their ecosystem so works out great!

Team push-ups!

• @Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@Astro said:

@Nekki said:

@vitobotta said:

No recurring = no bueno

They keep bringing in those features slowly so works out! $400/2 years. I used everything else in their ecosystem so works out great!

If you're happy with Proton as-is and you've already paid for the period, I doubt Tresorit is going to give you anything with the extra expense.

• @vitobotta said: my photo library too (225GB)

I've used Immich with a collection of ~50GB of photos. Happy with the experience. Just taking a look at number of stars in its github repo speaks volumes.