Empty /etc

Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Something really interesting for me recently has been reading the Fedora Developer mailing list every day just to keep up on the Rawhide changes. What I have seen tells me that the changes seen in Fedora seem more than I had imagined.

I'm not advocating for any particular view. What I can say is that upgrading Rawhide to the extent of hundreds of packages and a new kernel on many, many days has worked for me 100%. Of course, tomorrow will be the day that my server will blow up. Whatever happens, it has been a lot of fun to follow some of what's been going on in the Linux world from a different perspective than those with which I have used and to which I probably will return.

• Empty /etc

Of course there has been a lot of talk for years about systemd taking over the old ways. Today I learned about Empty /etc.

"There is a long-term goal of moving packaged files out of /etc, so that only actual local configuration remains in /etc."

• Modern C

Another topic I have seen mentioned recently on the mailing list is moving Fedora to modern C. See also Redhat bug 2142177.

• Meta frameworks

Everywhere I look there seem to be meta frameworks for building and organizing things. For example, there is Koji.

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

Thanked by (2)host_c skhron

Comments

• @Not_Oles said: Empty /etc

this 'long term goal' won't finish in your lifetime

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• @Encoders said:

@Not_Oles said: Empty /etc

Give the old guy a break! We all know it wont finish in the next 10 years. So in this case, you should say it wont finish in his grandkids lifetime :p

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• @somik said:

@Encoders said:

Give the old guy a break! We all know it wont finish in the next 10 years. So in this case, you should say it wont finish in his grandkids lifetime :p

I'm not even sure if i have to be impressed or disappointed with how stubborn the 'linux' community is.
    but yeah, if it's not broken just fix it until it is :trollface:

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• somiksomik OG
    edited December 2023

@Encoders said:

@somik said:

@Encoders said:

I'm not even sure if i have to be impressed or disappointed with how stubborn the 'linux' community is.

Well, what made me sad was the systemctl "fix"... Previously when we ran system apache restart we used to get a few lines of messages to show if it succeeded or failed and if failed, what happened. Now it's just empty response...

• @somik said:

@Encoders said:

@somik said:

@Encoders said:

Well, what made me sad was the systemctl "fix"... Previously when we ran system apache restart we used to get a few lines of messages to show if it succeeded or failed and if failed, what happened. Now it's just empty response...

Ahh, I know what you mean. What also annoys me every time is that the start/stop/restart/enable is now in the middle of the command, rather than at the end. It was so easy to just use backspace to change stop to start for example.

Although I prefer systemctl which I seem to be a minority.

Thanked by (1)quicksilver03
  • If it works, don't fix it!

How are you... online?

• @root said:
    If it works, don't fix it!

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @SharedGrid said:

@somik said:

Ahh, I know what you mean. What also annoys me every time is that the start/stop/restart/enable is now in the middle of the command, rather than at the end. It was so easy to just use backspace to change stop to start for example.

Although I prefer systemctl which I seem to be a minority.

Well, systemctl is good for paired services like samba where you can just do sudo systemctl restart smbd nmbd or for php/nginx combos where you need to restart both sudo systemctl restart php8.1-fpm nginx