Email app on Android - suggestions wanted!

During Black Friday I managed to snag a couple of awesome deals on email from @jarland and @MichaelCee and I'm determined to actually start using them. But what app should I use on my phone (or even my computer, but webmail is a thing) ?

Do most people just add IMAP accounts to the Gmail app? Or use one of the free apps like FairEmail? I saw a few paid ones as well, like AquaMail, but it seems pricey (costs more than the mail hosting itself, lol). I know Thunderbird will OneDaySoon(tm) release on Android, but who knows when.

Would love any suggestions!

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee

Comments

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

POP3 with Gmail is what I use - with all its pros and cons.

Relja

Thanked by (1)SocksAreComfortable

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

Relja

Out of curiosity, why POP3 and not IMAP? I remember using POP3 with Outlook Express back in the Windows XP days...but that was when I only ever checked my email on that one computer.

• edited December 2023

@Murv said:
    K-9 Mail

Interesting, I think this is the project I saw mentioned by the Thunderbird team. Maybe it will rebrand into Thunderbird in the future? Or maybe they're just collaborating, I didn't read too much into it.

Do you use K-9 for multiple accounts?

• @SocksAreComfortable said: Maybe it will rebrand into Thunderbird in the future?

I believe that's the plan.

@SocksAreComfortable said: Do you use K-9 for all multiple accounts?

Yep, whenever I need to work with IMAP and POP3.
    That aside, these days I just mostly use ProtonMail as my personal email.

@SocksAreComfortable said:

@bikegremlin said:

Relja

Out of curiosity, why POP3 and not IMAP? I remember using POP3 with Outlook Express back in the Windows XP days...but that was when I only ever checked my email on that one computer.

Gmail storage hasn't failed me for a single time since the time it was an invite-only service. And the storage space per account is quite generous (and free).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @Murv said:

@SocksAreComfortable said: Maybe it will rebrand into Thunderbird in the future?

I believe that's the plan.

@SocksAreComfortable said: Do you use K-9 for all multiple accounts?

Yep, whenever I need to work with IMAP and POP3.
    That aside, these days I just mostly use ProtonMail as my personal email.

That makes sense. I'm testing out a ProtonMail account as well right now, the app is pretty decent, just don't like that I can't add multiple accounts unless they are paid.

• Gmail's filtering is top notch and not to be trifled with by any means. I have used the pop3 as @bikegremlin has and found it to be reliable if sometimes a tad on the slow side but, as long as it works it is a good product.

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @Murv said:
    K-9 Mail

Ever since I started using Android. It takes some getting used to, but I've been happy with it for years.

• @SocksAreComfortable said:

Do you use K-9 for multiple accounts?

Me too; three accounts most of the time, 'countless' identities. Works flawless in my experience!

• wankelwankel OG
    edited December 2023

Relja

Out of curiosity, why POP3 and not IMAP?

If I'm not mistaken, Relja got confused the same way as me, at first.

@bikegremlin & @AuroraZero , correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you use Gmail as a central mail silo, and pull your other accounts in via POP3 (because, free storage) and use the Google stuff as mail client?

edit: and sorry for all the separate posts :-P

• @wankel said: @bikegremlin & @AuroraZero , correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you use Gmail as a central mail silo, and pull your other accounts in via POP3 (because, free storage) and use the Google stuff as mail client?

Precisely it handles shadow accounts really well and is a no fuss no muss interface. I get the benefits of Gmail's filtering and none of the risks.

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

@wankel said:

Relja

Out of curiosity, why POP3 and not IMAP?

If I'm not mistaken, Relja got confused the same way as me, at first.

@bikegremlin & @AuroraZero , correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you use Gmail as a central mail silo, and pull your other accounts in via POP3 (because, free storage) and use the Google stuff as mail client?

edit: and sorry for all the separate posts :-P

That is exactly what I was trying to say (and show exactly how in the article I linked to).

I use Gmail as a mail client (similarly to Thunderbird or some third client).

Fast, reliable (storage), great antivirus (and antispam) filters...

It works.

• FairEmail

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@Ympker said:
    Also using the Gmail app

:)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• @bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:
    Also using the Gmail app

What a sexy Panda do you know them personally?

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

@AuroraZero said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:
    Also using the Gmail app

Meh... pandas: vegan, and they won't fornicate...

• @bikegremlin said:

@AuroraZero said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:
    Also using the Gmail app

Meh... pandas: vegan, and they won't fornicate...

Figures jimmies rustled for nothing how droll

• I have a de-Googled phone and thus do not have Gmail or any such apps or services. I use Boxer as the primary email client, partly because it supports EAS quite well. I have self-hosted email and prefer EAS.

• Spark Mail <3

• @SocksAreComfortable said:
    I saw a few paid ones as well, like AquaMail, but it seems pricey (costs more than the mail hosting itself, lol).

Ouch, have been using Aqua for years, but it was never that expensive for the pro upgrade, even recently ISTR. Guess the price goes hand in hand with the introduction of an IOS version :o Good mail client though.

• imo best email client for android that support exchange: Aqua (paid) & Nine (Paid, with trial)

actually the microsoft outlook app is quite good but i always failed to setup my company mail on it.

• I've been using K9 and Fairmail is supposed to also be good. Both are on f-droid. I basically don't use anything that isn't on f-droid.

• @bikegremlin said:

Relja

Same here, POP3 to gmail and keep the original mail. I thought about privacy and leave google once, but then I realized that google is not something I should be afraid of.
    Filter and search is unbeatable overall.

Action and Reaction in history

@elliotc said:

@bikegremlin said:

Relja

Same here, POP3 to gmail and keep the original mail. I thought about privacy and leave google once, but then I realized that google is not something I should be afraid of.

I would argue that Google is bad. But being afraid won't help you - unless you can live & conduct business without a smartphone, any social networ account, or card payments. If that's the case, then it does make a lot of sense to use a good VPN and ditch Google completely.

Thanked by (1)wankel

• @bikegremlin said:

@elliotc said:

@bikegremlin said:

Relja

I would argue that Google is bad. But being afraid won't help you - unless you can live & conduct business without a smartphone, any social networ account, or card payments. If that's the case, then it does make a lot of sense to use a good VPN and ditch Google completely.

I mean, my gov can incarcerate me (and my entire family) as much as they want without any lawsult. I should be using my brain to fear and deal with other things than the evil of Google from another country. In fact, I welcome any big brothers to scan my emails since it is the upper layer of my privacy. We have to give them some to keep them satisfied.

@elliotc said:

@bikegremlin said:

@elliotc said:

@bikegremlin said:

Relja

I mean, my gov can incarcerate me (and my entire family) as much as they want without any lawsult. I should be using my brain to fear and deal with other things than the evil of Google from another country. In fact, I welcome any big brothers to scan my emails since it is the upper layer of my privacy. We have to give them some to keep them satisfied.

As far as I know, USA can "pick" practically anyone, from any country, without any charges or trials (they've been doing that for a while now).

Most other countries are basically limited to their own territory.

• @bikegremlin said:

@elliotc said:

@bikegremlin said:

@elliotc said:

@bikegremlin said:

Relja

As far as I know, USA can "pick" practically anyone, from any country, without any charges or trials (they've been doing that for a while now).

Most other countries are basically limited to their own territory.

US wouldn't have paid to pick me anyway. There are far more US haters in the world. And my gov have "kpi" to screw people. I am basicly saying nothing to anything and reject any meeting even a phone call form some old friends these years. All I want to do now is to save money, the most money I can. Like I said, please scan my email or any kind of my message if it can make them satisfied.
    Fyi, "other countries" are not that harmless, political prisoners who have no attention are still very dangerous even in foreign countries.

• FairEmail with Pro features