[HostHatch] Madrid, Milan and Warsaw - EOL - 30th March, 2024

Dear Customer,

At HostHatch, we have always strived to provide you with the best service that aligns with our commitment to you. Today, we are writing to inform you of some changes that will be taking place in the near future.

In the past year, we have made several improvements to how we handle our infrastructure. Most importantly, we have moved to our own private racks in most of our locations, with redundant power, at least two redundant network upstreams (which allow us access to the best Tier 1 transits), and in general, more control over our infrastructure across the globe, allowing us to identify and resolve issues before they even come to your notice.

We have also introduced a number of new features, including but not limited to live snapshots, private VLANs, BGP sessions & BYOIP, routed IPv6, and more. We are making every effort to move towards a more premium service model while keeping our pricing competitive, rather than cutting corners and being the cheapest on the market.

Keeping this in mind, we have decided to discontinue some of our services, namely our legacy services in Madrid, Milan, and Warsaw. While we have continued to support these services in the past few years, we have not been able to bring our whole suite of new features to these locations. When you buy a service from HostHatch, we want you to have the trust that it will run as smoothly and reliably as possible, which we have made every effort to achieve in all of our other locations with our recent investments.

We will shut down services in these locations on 30th March 2024.

In case there are additional months left in your paid billing period, we will provide you with a refund for these using HostHatch credit or a refund back to your original payment method. You also have the option to move your server to any of our other locations.

We will provide you a new server with equivalent or better specifications. If you choose to do this, we will also provide an extra 6 months of service at no cost. Please note that this will be a new server with a new IP address, but it will come with the advantage of all the value-added features described earlier in the email. If you would like to proceed with this option, please contact us at your earliest convenience so we can set this up for you.

We appreciate your continued patronage.

Thank you & Kindest Regards,

Your HostHatch Team

Seems very fair & orderly, in my opinion. Heaps of notice, choice of new location or refund, 6 month extension etc. Only thing might be that people currently on their legacy back-end might get re-created with slightly less disk space, but I suppose that will happen to everyone at some point, not a big deal.

In my view Europe was always pretty "dense" with locations compared to the US for them (missing somewhere south-central like Dallas seems a bit of a gap), so the move makes sense to me.

I'd personally commend @HostHatch for the approach taken here.

Thanked by (1)bdl

Comments

• i got same email and asked to migrate to another location... they responded, migrated and added 6 months to expiry date so all + from my side.

+10 for HostHatch support and time compensation.

Thanked by (1)bdl
  • @ehab said:
    i got same email and asked to migrate to another location... they responded, migrated and added 6 months to expiry date so all + from my side.

Thanks for the report, did they migrate you with data or clean VPS?

• @tetech said:

@ehab said:
    i got same email and asked to migrate to another location... they responded, migrated and added 6 months to expiry date so all + from my side.

I got this response:

We would be happy to help you with moving to any of our EU locations. There are two options for this:

We create a new server for you while keeping the old server active. You can then move over the data and let us know after a reasonable amount of time so we can remove the old server.
    We can remove the old server and create the new server at the same time (if there is no data that needs to be moved between the two).
    Please let us know how you wish to proceed.

• @cpsd said:

@tetech said:

@ehab said:

I got this response:

We would be happy to help you with moving to any of our EU locations. There are two options for this:

We create a new server for you while keeping the old server active. You can then move over the data and let us know after a reasonable amount of time so we can remove the old server.
    We can remove the old server and create the new server at the same time (if there is no data that needs to be moved between the two).
    Please let us know how you wish to proceed.

That's all fair. I wasn't expecting them to move data for you, but got curious when @ehab used the word "migrate". That would have really been going above and beyond. The options they provided seem reasonable.

It was interesting to note that the response to you said "any of our EU locations" whereas the customer email said "any of our other locations".

• The migration process is well done.
    Never disappointed by hosthatch

• @tetech said:
    That's all fair. I wasn't expecting them to move data for you, but got curious when @ehab used the word "migrate". That would have really been going above and beyond. The options they provided seem reasonable.

i asked them to destroy old and create new.. so no data moving was asked. I should be explicit of what is done. next time.

Thanked by (1)tetech
  • @ehab said:

@tetech said:

i asked them to destroy old and create new.. so no data moving was asked. I should be explicit of what is done. next time.

No worries, this would be fine for me anyway!

• Not sure if @hosthatch is just lurking here or prepared to respond, but few basic questions:

1. Can you please clarify what support told @cpsd - can we migrate to "any" other location, or does it have to be in the EU?
    2. What's the attitude to stacking - if both MAD+MXP are migrated to the same place, can we stack them? No expectation and no big deal if not, but good to know.
    3. If we have the old MAD+MXP+SYD bundle, would we still keep the Sydney VPS as-is when the other locations close?

Thanks!

• @tetech said:
    Not sure if @hosthatch is just lurking here or prepared to respond, but few basic questions:

1. Can you please clarify what support told @cpsd - can we migrate to "any" other location, or does it have to be in the EU?
    2. What's the attitude to stacking - if both MAD+MXP are migrated to the same place, can we stack them? No expectation and no big deal if not, but good to know.
    3. If we have the old MAD+MXP+SYD bundle, would we still keep the Sydney VPS as-is when the other locations close?

Thanks!

From OGF:

"Interesting that their email says "You also have the option to move your server to any of our other locations.", but the support agent said "We are unable to migrate to any APAC locations".

• @kheng86 said:

@tetech said:
    Not sure if @hosthatch is just lurking here or prepared to respond, but few basic questions:

Thanks!

From OGF:

"Interesting that their email says "You also have the option to move your server to any of our other locations.", but the support agent said "We are unable to migrate to any APAC locations".

That's different again. So we've got "any" location; "not APAC"; and "EU" (which also excludes USA and potentially excludes London, Zurich & Oslo depending whether "EU" means Europe or European Union). That's why clarification from @hosthatch might be useful.