Are you still hosting apps on servers with spinning disks?

2»

Comments

• It all depends on how much disk i/o your hosted service needs

VPS providers to check out:

• rootroot OG
    edited January 5

This is a low-end community. I love spinning disks. I appreciate spinning disks. All my backups are on spinning disks for long-term storage.

SSD and NVMe are for high-end and high-load systems. I don't want them nor need them. For some reason though providers are switching to this kind of storage, forgetting that we want the price as low as possible.

Thanked by (2)chitree AlwaysSkint

How are you... online?

• @root said:
    This is a low-end community. I love spinning disks. I appreciate spinning disks. All my backups are on spinning disks for long-term storage.

SSD and NVMe are for high-end and high-load systems. I don't want them nor need them. For some reason though providers are switching to this kind of storage, forgetting that we want the price as low as possible.

Yep. SSDs are great for when you need to access a lot of small files at once. For larger files, SSD and HDDs are almost same. Since most applications are memory cached, storage doesn't matter for running most apps.

So cheaper HDDs are better. Unless your want highend solutions, stick to HDDs written SSDs as premium option.

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• edited January 7

mmm disk go weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    I have a 18yo HDD, still works. Wouldn't bet my life savings on it, but yeah, they do run and get the job pretty much done.
    SSDs are more of a I WANT SPEED kinda thing, like if you are running something like a Jellyfin server, or something that needs a lot of IO, go with SSD. But if you just have stuff thats accessed once in a while or is relatively lightweight (say, an uptime monitor), a HDD does just as fine and can possibly be more economic than an SSD.
    HDDs are relatively reliable on the long run, unless you get dust in it, then bye bye.

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• I run tons of services on spinning disks.
    1. Vaultwarden
    2. Jellyfin
    3. Audiobookshelf
    4. All the *arr services. Seriously, all of them
    5. Ubooquity
    6. Kavita
    7. Sabnzbd
    8. qBittorrent
    9. Joplin
    10. Hammond
    11. Linkwarden
    12. Jackett
    13. Healthchecks.io
    14. TTRSS
    15. Uptime-Kuma
    16. Trashcan
    17. Headscale

Thanked by (1)root
  • @Otus9051 said:
    I have a 18yo HDD, still works. Wouldn't bet my life savings on it, but yeah, they do run and get the job pretty much done.

I never would trust a hard drive with more then 5 years of activity (run time). Then again, for my "mission critical" data, i usually have 3 copies with at least 1 fully offline backup. Paranoid? What's that? Can eat? :lol:

• @somik said: I never would trust a hard drive with more then 5 years

I would never trust anyone that doesn't know the difference between then & than! :|

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• somiksomik OG
    edited January 7

@AlwaysSkint said:

@somik said: I never would trust a hard drive with more then 5 years

I would never trust anyone that doesn't know the difference between then & than! :|

Damn! Not again! :lol:
    I guess it's time to change my signature to "Pardon my English" :p

Just remember, in English, the following makes perfect sense:

All the faith he had had had had no effect on the outcome of his life.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

• So far the server has been working great! I really didn't think that HDDs could be still be this decent on servers these days :D

404 Error: Signature Not Found

• edited January 7

@vitobotta said:
    So far the server has been working great! I really didn't think that HDDs could be still be this decent on servers these days :D

Good to hear. Indeed Any Process running on Memory not disk.

• host_chost_c Hosting Provider

DRIVES will beet FLASH at endurance any day of the week.

Consumer NVME/SSD will fry out within months of heavy WRITE.

Data center NVME/SSD stuff is extremely expensive even Used, so will stick for Drives for the moment for large storage ( 20TB+ )

SAS will be your friend. <3 in spinning rust.

Host-C - VPS Services Provider - AS211462

"If there is no struggle there is no progress"

• With servers it is as with cats: who would not want a content server?

• What is the average life of HDDs vs NVMEs these days?

• host_chost_c Hosting Provider

Home use, or Hosting use, it is a big difference

Hosting Conditions:

For example, a NVME Premium Brand, 4 TB, wear out to 50% in 6 months.And there were no abuses on the drive. ( Samsung, Kingston )

Datacenter SSD, in raid 10, not even 1% in 1 year ( Kingston DC500R ), Kioxia SAS SSD well, still at 99% life after years of use.

Drives, heh, we still have a NetApp Shelf with FiberChannel Drives, 450GB at 15.000 RPM, all good, 0 bad.

Host-C - VPS Services Provider - AS211462

"If there is no struggle there is no progress"

• @vitobotta said:
    What is the average life of HDDs vs NVMEs these days?

In power-on-days or in bytes written? Running in a datacenter or bike-mounted?

I have had more flash-based storage devices die on me than rust-based devices, but by weight the balance swings in favour of the dead HDDs.

The average life of the data itself was better on the flash though: by that time I could afford some form of backup, whereas in the ages of dying disks it was by the grace of the ticking zombie period that I could rescue data (whereas flash does not have the time bomb feature, in my experience)

• But weren't SSDs in general supposed to last longer?