VPS vs Dedi

For end-users hosting websites, a web app, a mail server, etc, isn't a dedi overkill?

I feel like 99% of end-users don't really need a dedi tbh. For those of you (who are not resellers virtualizing the dedi and reselling VPSs/shared hosting) who own a dedi, what exactly was the bottleneck that you find in a VPS that made you upgrade to a dedi?

Comments

• edited January 28

Isn't a VPS overkill? And 99% of end users hosting on a VPS could easily use shared hosting?

• linveolinveo Hosting ProviderOG

The times I have personally needed a dedicated server were for larger gaming communities or being able to run multiple game instances at once.

linveo.com | Shared Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers

• @linveo said:
    The times I have personally needed a dedicated server were for larger gaming communities or being able to run multiple game instances at once.

Other than gaming, how likely would sometime need a dedicated server for web hosting?

• @Joseph said: ..how likely would sometime need a dedicated server for web hosting?

A sizable Magento installation can happily kill VPS performance. :/

Thanked by (2)skorous bdl

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• linveolinveo Hosting ProviderOG

@Joseph said:

@linveo said:

Other than gaming, how likely would sometime need a dedicated server for web hosting?

If you have large downloads or a DB heavy site, it could use the resources a dedicated server provides.

linveo.com | Shared Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers

• @AndrewL64 said: For end-users hosting websites, a web app, a mail server, etc, isn't a dedi overkill?

Just my $0.02. It depends on the workload. In my case i've got a bursty workload that hammers the cpu while converting > @AlwaysSkint said:

@Joseph said: ..how likely would sometime need a dedicated server for web hosting?

A sizable Magento installation can happily kill VPS performance. :/

Just installing Magenta requires one dedicated core. Bloody pig that thing is.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • jtkjtk
    edited January 29

@AndrewL64 said:
    For those of you (who are not resellers virtualizing the dedi and reselling VPSs/shared hosting) who own a dedi, what exactly was the bottleneck that you find in a VPS that made you upgrade to a dedi?

An important component is the hardware clock. With a VM you may be at the mercy of the provider's ability to not only get this right, but to ensure the host OS doesn't steal clock cycles, even unintentionally. Slight imperfections may be tolerable, but big jumps can be cause real problems when clock precision and accuracy is of utmost importance. For the really paranoid, security issues like side-channel attacks may also be a factor to prefer dedicated. Most of these problems are probably more academic than practical and probably of little concern to most low-end customers. From an economic standpoint, the price of a dedicated server may just be a good value compared to VM with similar resources.

• It's nice not to worry about noisy neighbours, and a low end dedi can come in competitively priced against a similar sized VPS.

Then again, the risk with a low end dedi is that you have a single point of failure in the form of a single (probably ancient) chunk of hardware; I've flirted with dedis but I'm moving back towards chunky VPSes now.

• @ahnlak said:
    It's nice not to worry about noisy neighbours, and a low end dedi can come in competitively priced against a similar sized VPS.

Then again, the risk with a low end dedi is that you have a single point of failure in the form of a single (probably ancient) chunk of hardware; I've flirted with dedis but I'm moving back towards chunky VPSes now.

What motivated you to move from a dedicated to a VPS?

• @Joseph said:

@ahnlak said:
    It's nice not to worry about noisy neighbours, and a low end dedi can come in competitively priced against a similar sized VPS.

What motivated you to move from a dedicated to a VPS?

Because I wasn't exactly stretching the hardware limits, and it de-risked me from an ageing CPU / HDD crapping out on me. Even leaving aside the fact that a decent VPS offering probably isn't running on a creaky old Xeon, they are going to recover from a hardware issue quicker than me.

But it all depends on what you need - if big storage is required you're going to struggle to beat a dedi for raw value.

Of course, cheap dedi money gets you more than a bargain basement VPS, so it's not like I'm gambling on a Virmach Mystery Box for production :-)

• AlexhostcomAlexhostcom Hosting Provider

I don't think so, you can get dedicated server usually for the same price of high end vps.
    There are dedicated servers starting 15€ monthly, not going to mention the provider, but you find it very well, even with 20 euros.

Dedicated server is better than VPS, unless VPS is limited by users per node to maintain a good performance and having a nice network and dedicated CPU cores. In such cases, VPS can be an option.

• @Joseph said: And 99% of end users hosting on a VPS could easily use shared hosting?

I recently tried to find some reasonable shared hosting as I thought it might end up being cheaper, but no luck so far.

First hoster I tried couldn't be bothered to configure IPv6 on their server (even after a support ticket), despite advertising IPv6 support. Second one managed to get IPv6 finally working after a few support tickets (also had confirmed IPv6 support before ordering), but turns out they can't be bothered to pay for licences for all those commercial products they want to offer on their shared hosting plan. Maybe the more expensive ones might be better, but then it seems more economical for me to stay with a VPS.

Thanked by (1)AndrewL64
  • @Alexhostcom said: I don't think so, you can get dedicated server usually for the same price of high end vps.

Do these come with any recovery options? What do I do if the server fails to boot? Do I have access to the server console to investigate any issues?

• @cmeerw said: it seems more economical for me to stay with a VPS

For most use-cases, I guess a VPS (or multiple VPSes) seems to be the better route shrugs

• I had a dedi, but I moved part of it to a VPS and part of it on premises.

• @AndrewL64 said:

@cmeerw said: it seems more economical for me to stay with a VPS

For most use-cases, I guess a VPS (or multiple VPSes) seems to be the better route shrugs

How is a VPS better for an average website hosting than shared hosting?

• synthohostingsynthohosting Hosting Provider

@Joseph said: How is a VPS better for an average website hosting than shared hosting?

Multiple factors should be taken into consideration when choosing between web-hosting and VPS, and even dedicated servers.

Mainly, you need to evaluate what you want to do with it: let's say you're a geek and you want to deploy a small WordPress site with Docker/Kubernetes, in which case also for educational factors, using a VPS would make you learn a lot more.

On the other hand, if you want to host a normal site, without having too much hassle, just to have your Wordpress site working and fast, it is smarter to evaluate shared hosting, which typically costs much less than VPS.

Then if we move on to the factor of a "totally customized" site, with perhaps the backend in Rust, expecting many visits and a lot of traffic, it would be better to go directly with a dedicated server.

Like everything, it depends on what you should use it for. Maybe for a promising project, it would make sense to start with a VPS and put everything up there, then if you see it growing you move to a Dedicated Server, increasing resources, reliability and probably usable traffic.

Then obviously with VPS you have to be very careful about the provider, given that there is the risk of finding a provider that oversells thus giving you a very high so-called "CPU steal time", making the VPS unusable.

Sorry for the very long message :)

Thanked by (1)Joseph

SynthoHosting: DDoS Protected IP Transit, Dedicated Servers and VPS

• edited February 4

Some other clarifications I was hoping for, if anyone can chime in:

1. What is the real and practical differences between a standard shared hosting plan versus a WordPress shared hosting plan, as many providers offer both? What real and notable (not hype and marketing) benefits do you get with WordPress hosting?

2. What is the difference between an unmanaged VPS versus a managed VPS, as the price for managed is usually far above unmanaged? What management, exactly, do you get that you do not get with unmanaged?

3. What is the difference between "semi-dedicated" versus "VDS"? (And how are they different than VPS and/or dedicated?)

4. How can you know which providers oversell their shared hosting and/or VPS versus which providers do not oversell?

• synthohostingsynthohosting Hosting Provider

@Joseph said: What is the real and practical differences between a standard shared hosting plan versus a WordPress shared hosting plan, as many providers offer both? What real and notable (not hype and marketing) benefits do you get with WordPress hosting?

Typically it's all marketing, or maybe they include automatic installation of Wordpress (as Plesk normally allows, for example)

@Joseph said: What is the difference between an unmanaged VPS versus a managed VPS, as the price for managed is usually far above unmanaged? What management, exactly, do you get that you do not get with unmanaged?

Managed services are those which are "managed" by the hosting staff. For example, do you need to secure the server? With an unmanaged service, the hosting usually links you to a guide with the typical "todos", however if you have a managed service the hosting should do it. I don't know if I managed to make myself understood :)

@Joseph said: What is the difference between "semi-dedicated" versus "VDS"? (And how are they different than VPS and/or dedicated?)

"semi-dedicated" and VDS are the exact same things. They differ from VPS as in theory all the resources they list are 100% dedicated to you (core, storage, RAM etc), and therefore the performances are very predictable. Instead, they differ from dedicated machines because they are still virtualized machines, with a minimum guarantee on performance and what you can expect.

@Joseph said: How can you know which providers oversell their shared hosting and/or VPS versus which providers do not oversell?

This question gives me trouble. On shared hosting, you could try uploading a file as large as the limit they give you and see if you can upload it or if it starts dropping errors, in which case you have saturated the disk space of the shared hosting server, and I would suggest changing provider instantly :)

for VPS, in addition to storage, you could consider CPU Steal Time, to "uncover" it you can run the 'top' command and look at %st

I hope the answer was exhaustive enough, I remain available for any other doubts :tongue:

Thanked by (1)Joseph

SynthoHosting: DDoS Protected IP Transit, Dedicated Servers and VPS

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Recently acquired a fairly powerful dedi (hez ax44) for a project and am thinking it may be overkill. This is a compute task not hosting though.

Realised I do actually have enough horsepower already...it's just too spread out.

So now wondering if I can build a scheduling/queuing system to make use of this. Just not sure how deep down this rabbit hole I want to go...distributed system design looks daunting to say the least.