Important Notice: Hosting service changes and Panel migration

Comments

• LGTM - best of luck for the migrations. I hope the micronode will have vnc interface eventually, it's not a must but a nice thing to have.

also looking forward for the 100GB+ storage plan, You've been providing good service so far in terms of CPU / IOWait / Steal / Network, unlike certain basement*chough*provider. that also reminds me I have to do a short review, after I've been procastinating all year long.

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• @Encoders said:
    I hope the micronode will have vnc interface eventually, it's not a must but a nice thing to have.

Is there ever a VNC on containers?

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:

@Encoders said:
    I hope the micronode will have vnc interface eventually, it's not a must but a nice thing to have.

Is there ever a VNC on containers?

something like this? not really ootb i guess

• @natvps_uk said:
    I wanted to create this post as we will soon be sending out an email containing information on our upcoming panel migration. This is a place to ask any questions related to the migration and to find answers on how this may impact your services.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I'll help out where I can!

Dear Customer,

We hope this message finds you well. As we approach the migration date on February 17th, we want to provide you with comprehensive information about the upcoming changes to our hosting services.

Hosting Panel Migration:
    On February 17th, we will be transitioning to a new consolidated panel for both billing and control. This migration will convert VPS customers services to Micronode instances, allowing immediate creation of VMs in any of our 8 locations post-migration.

To access the new consolidated billing panel, use the email address and password associated with your existing clients.natvps.uk billing panel. Note that existing Micronode panel credentials will no longer work.

VPS to Instance Conversion:
    If you are a current instances customer, you will be seamlessly migrated to our new consolidated billing and control panel. For existing VPS customers, your VPS will be automatically converted to an instance with no downtime. You will be assigned at least the same amount of resources as your current VPS for the remainder of the billing period.

Pricing Adjustment:
    Unfortunately, this change will impact the pricing for VPS clients. The pricing for Micronode instances starts at £15 per year for 512MB RAM and 20GB disk.

Payment Method Update:
    Please be aware that the new panel no longer supports credit/debit card payments outside of PayPal.

Over the next few weeks, all current PayPal subscriptions will be canceled in preparation for the migration. On your next billing cycle, you will need to pay manually. Reminders will be sent 15 days, 10 days, 5 days, and 1 day before your service expires via email.

Security Updates:
    Our new panel no longer supports password-based logins (on newly created instances). You must add an SSH key for authentication. A guide on how to do this is available within the new panel.

Two-factor authentication is available via Google Authenticator or another one-time token generator. We strongly recommend enabling this feature, and it will be mandatory in the future to enhance the security of your account.

Other Services:
    If you have a storage VPS or a Dedicated server with us, expect a separate email covering the changes associated with these services.

Support During Migration:
    Should you encounter any issues or have questions regarding the migration, please email us at for login-related problems. If you can successfully log in, kindly open a support ticket for any other concerns.
    We appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we implement these changes to enhance our services. If you have any further questions, our support team is here to assist.

My current VPS NatVPS-256m-FR is £1.50 GBP/year but now it will cost £15 GBP/year but will add + 256MB ram. I certainly understand that this is a cheap offer (which is why I bought it). It's understandable that prices go up and it's ok to raise the price if your business is no longer profitable (although it was stated that the offer was repeatable), but 10x, seriously.

I didn't like your attitude towards current customers. I didn't like that you do this notification after the VPS renewal and not before the renewal. Personally, I would have just not renewed this offer and bought a VPS from another vendor on Black Friday. Moreover did not see in your offer a refund, only to create another VPS in your instance which I never even used. Personally, I asked for a refund via ticket.

• MicronodeMicronode Hosting Provider

@ofit said: My current VPS NatVPS-256m-FR is £1.50 GBP/year but now it will cost £15 GBP/year but will add + 256MB ram. I certainly understand that this is a cheap offer (which is why I bought it). It's understandable that prices go up and it's ok to raise the price if your business is no longer profitable (although it was stated that the offer was repeatable), but 10x, seriously.

Its pretty difficult for me to try and justify instances to you as you're right, this is a huge price increase for the £1.50 per year FR NATVPS offer.

Like I said its not something that we wanted to do but we needed to make a change, I've been as fair as possible in the way that we've gone about this. Your service is still valid until your renewal date (which I believe is November). Your service will not only double in memory during the migration but there also will not be any downtime.

To highlight on this point: but 10x, seriously
    Its a different offering entirely compared to the VPS range, I'll be clear here in the fact that our VPS' range never really sold too well and there are only a handful of customers with the £1.50 per year offer, as we're moving away from the standard NATVPS offering entirely (and such a low number of clients still have this offering) it was impossible to justify adding support for this range into the new panel - especially considering we haven't sold VPS' for over a year (excluding renewals).

I didn't like your attitude towards current customers. I didn't like that you do this notification after the VPS renewal and not before the renewal.

We have clients renew with us daily, regardless of when we put this announcement out someone would be in your position, I get that this is frustrating and again I can only apologise for this. To make it clear again though - your service is still valid until the next renewal with no extra costs, double the resources and the possibility to move it to another node in any of our 8 locations.

Personally, I would have just not renewed this offer and bought a VPS from another vendor on Black Friday. Moreover did not see in your offer a refund, only to create another VPS in your instance which I never even used. Personally, I asked for a refund via ticket.

As your service is still valid until the end of your billing period (We're not just turning off all NAT VPS services) you get to use your VPS as normal for the next 9+ months or you can re-create it in another location completely free of charge.

I've mentioned this a few times in this thread:

@natvps_uk said: One thing I can promise is we will bring back the £2 per year VPS’ at some point one way or another. I’m not sure what this will look like, it may be entirely IPv6 or maybe “basement” style hosting but it will be back.

These will be back, I'm not sure when and I can't make any promises but its not unlikely that it will be before the end of your billing period.

Again as I mentioned in the reply to your ticket, whilst we don't usually refund mid billing cycle (and that we're not terminating your services or charging you extra for the remainder of your billing cycle) we would be willing to offer you a refund for the remaining months of your service.

Or you can enjoy the double resources, 8+ locations and the flexibility of Micronode Instances until the end of your billing period for no extra charge.

its up to you, just let us know what you want and again I apologise for having to make this change, it was simply not possible to predict the price increases that we as a provider would face over the last 12-18 months. We've learnt from this and we're doing everything we can to prevent it from happening again.

• I don't see a valid reason for existing customers to ask for refunds etc.
    The credit we paid for is still usable until its original expiration date, with no reduction of functionality.
    There's no violation of the contract.

That's assuming the upcoming migration doesn't cause excessive downtime.
    Remember that the contract requires at least one location to be up and have stuck at any time.
    If the migration causes all locations to lock up and unavailable for deployment (say, for more than 24 hours), users will have reason for chargebacks.

Existing customers are of course unhappy for losing a recurring dealz.
    Renewal would be a separate contract.
    Nobody forces the existing customers to renew and enter the new contract.
    On the other hand, the 2x, 3x, 10x price does not entice the existing customers to renew either.

By November, we would be evaluating whether the value of service is worth the £15 charge.

Thanked by (2)Micronode wankel

edited February 12

.> @yoursunny said:

I don't see a valid reason for existing customers to ask for refunds etc.
    The credit we paid for is still usable until its original expiration date, with no reduction of functionality.
    There's no violation of the contract.

That's assuming the upcoming migration doesn't cause excessive downtime.

The migration won’t entail any downtime other than the old panels being down for the best part of the day whilst we migrate. Looking at the metrics we have Saturday is the quietest day for instance creation, reboots and reprovision - Sunday is the busiest which I found pretty strange.

Remember that the contract requires at least one location to be up and have stuck at any time.
    If the migration causes all locations to lock up and unavailable for deployment (say, for more than 24 hours), users will have reason for chargebacks.

Existing customers are of course unhappy for losing a recurring dealz.

Agreed but for the sake of £1.50 it’s really not worth my time to argue, especially when it’s actually cheaper for us to refund than migrate (a 512mb/20gb resource package costs us a lot more than £1.50 for 9 months)
    >

By November, we would be evaluating whether the value of service is worth the £15 charge.

I’m doing everything possible to make this worth its value, we have some nice new locations coming including Australia, Singapore, US East coast, new NVME UK node and likely Japan.

Thanked by (1)go626201
  • NATVPS UK Singapore + Japan vps finally coming soon. :p

MY/SG & Worldwide Latency Test V3 : http://www.mywebping.com (27 February 2021 Updated)
    MY-Unifi Home SmokePing: http://smokeping.mywebping.com/smokeping/

• Natvps was created from a spare server but now it demands a profit.

Personally I have no problem as I can use other alternatives and rarely access your services either.

My billing was paid last month and I will use it for good sake till the last drop.

Good luck!

Thanked by (2)yoursunny Micronode
  • @yoursunny said: Existing customers are of course unhappy for losing a recurring dealz.

I'm a content VPS user in the unhappy customer boat.

I read and can relate to the arguments for the change in price, and wish the good willing providers on the board all the luck in a competitive market.

I do wonder though, what the value of "recurring" in an offer is, if just two months later a provider can post "Sorryz for the misunderstanding, I miscalculated and my offer is not recurring after all. See you again next year!"

Having the choice between two similar offers for a £20 value VPS,

• one £10 valuta a year, recurring
    • the other £9 first year only

.. how many of you would take the one-time £9 offer over the recurring £10 offer?

For me, I'd let the one-time offer pass. It's a hobby for me; I like to configure and link things. It takes some time, I learn a bit, and I can use my work afterwards. Idling is the main hobby of many of the VPS's; it happens that months pass before I get to using a new VPS. My fault of course, wouldn't happen to anyone else on the forum :-P

Anyway, the first year is mostly observing whether I actually use a VPS and the things I put on it, and see whether it's worth, for me, the discounted price. If my VPS's lost their recurring offers, I'd be hosting everything at home in no time :-D

Thanked by (3)ofit htgy yoursunny
  • The Micronode App is currently under maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

⏱️

Thanked by (2)Micronode htgy

The migration is around 70% complete. Another couple of hours and the panel will be removed from maintenance.

Thanked by (2)go626201 htgy

The new panel is now live, please remember that it is your billing panel credentials rather than your micronode credentials.

Thanked by (3)zgato flo82 go626201
  • Is Amsterdam now also on the Location Specific Bandwidth list or is it a bug?

@flo82 said:
    Is Amsterdam now also on the Location Specific Bandwidth list or is it a bug?

I'll check, probably just been fat fingered during the migration.

Thanked by (1)flo82

Just to update on the migration

All Micronode instances and resources have been moved across.

All Micronode VPS’ have been converted to instances and migrated to the new panel.

We have had reports from one user that their instances were not showing in the new panel, if anyone has this issue please open a support ticket as soon as possible so we can assign your instances.

Storage VPS’ and Dedicated servers will be migrated in the coming days, if your payment is due on a storage VPS or dedi please don’t be alarmed, we have extended the billing period by 30 days.

If you need to manage a Storage VPS please open a ticket, we will be available to assist whist this element of the migration continues.

We noticed that our new IDS wrongly suspended around 5 instances for network scanning, all of these instances have been unsuspended and the process has been tuned to prevent these false positives.

I hope everyone is enjoying the new panel so far, we’ve hit a new record for the number of instances created in a 24 hour period.

• I guess the 'good luck' Romania location is gone now, being not visible in the panel anymore?
    Server being down isn't a indicator. :p

Is there any kind of notification about decommissioning of locations? Also didn't notice Finland is now Sweden until logging in.

@benz said:
    I guess the 'good luck' Romania location is gone now, being not visible in the panel anymore?
    Server being down isn't a indicator. :p

Is there any kind of notification about decommissioning of locations? Also didn't notice Finland is now Sweden until logging in.

Romania hasn’t gone but it’s not been fully migrated yet as we’re having a few issues with the node. Should be back in a few days.

Finland migration was announced back in October of last year.

Thanked by (1)benz
  • @natvps_uk said: Finland migration was announced back in October of last year.

Via mail or here in the forum?

@benz said:

@natvps_uk said: Finland migration was announced back in October of last year.

Via mail or here in the forum?

As far as I remember there was an email, announcement in the billing panel and a forum post.

We had a few tickets relating to the migration back in November which were dealt with at the time.

If you need any assistance post migration I’d be happy to help where I can.

Going forwards with future migrations/location retirements (whilst I don’t actually expect any in the foreseeable future other than potentially Romania if the issues persist) they will go out of stock 30 days prior to the migration and everyone with an instance in that location will receive both an email notification and a notification in the panel.

We’ll also be able to give people the option for a full migration with data or a self migration without data.

Thanked by (1)benz
  • edited February 18

@natvps_uk said: As far as I remember there was an email

Hmm, I think I've wondered about not receiving some informational mails before.
    Any way to explicitly sign up for those?

Can't rule out it just went to spam, ofc. But all other mails from micronode.uk and natvps.uk seemed fine so far.

@benz said:

@natvps_uk said: As far as I remember there was an email

Hmm, I think I've wondered about not receiving some informational mails before.
    Any way to explicitly sign up for those?

Can't rule out it just went to spam, ofc. But all other mails from micronode.uk and natvps.uk seemed fine so far.

There was a checkbox at signup on the old panel prior to the migration that might have been missed. It’s default behaviour in the new panel as long as the client has active services.

• @natvps_uk said: It’s default behaviour in the new panel as long as the client has active services.

Oh, so that should be automatically fixed by now, if that was the problem in my case? Great.

• why is the client area fucked?

clearing cache and using different browsers result the same on my side

• Loadbalancer isn't migrated?
    I had one, now I have none.

@Encoders said:
    why is the client area fucked?

Looks like some caching on cloudflares side, the client area has gone and should redirect. I’ve cleared the cloudflare cache so hope this has fixed it although I can’t replicate it at all.

@yoursunny said:
    Loadbalancer isn't migrated?

All loadbalancer were migrated.

I just checked on the old panel and you didn’t have any loadbalancers. You had one during the beta of the new panel but this was destroyed prior to launch.

Looking at the task log you deleted your loadbalancer on: 2023-12-03 22:31:07

• @natvps_uk said:

@yoursunny said:
    Loadbalancer isn't migrated?

All loadbalancer were migrated.

I just checked on the old panel and you didn’t have any loadbalancers. You had one during the beta of the new panel but this was destroyed prior to launch.

Looking at the task log you deleted your loadbalancer on: 2023-12-03 22:31:07

You are right.
    I had a loadbalancer, but it was deleted in December when it had a TLS renewal error.
    Thus, no problem with the migration.

• @natvps_uk said:

@Encoders said:

Looks like some caching on cloudflares side, the client area has gone and should redirect. I’ve cleared the cloudflare cache so hope this has fixed it although I can’t replicate it at all.

it works now, thx!

@Encoders said:

@natvps_uk said:

@Encoders said:

it works now, thx!

No problem!