What tools do you use to monitor multiple servers / services in 2024?

I currently use Netdata but was wondering if there are any other suggestions / implementations recommended by others.

Comments

• Do you seriously think that this has changed from end of 2023 that it justifies creating another thread with this click-bait title? The content is shorter than the title..

• @webcraft said:
    Do you seriously think that this has changed from end of 2023 that it justifies creating another thread with this click-bait title? The content is shorter than the title..

Can you link the thread?

• Netdata seems to be the standard, stick it to it and you'll be fine!

• We SSH into each server weekly to run upgrades.
    That's my server monitoring.
    The servers are otherwise idle for the rest of the week.

Thanked by (4)Amadex thagoat mfs vyas

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:
    We SSH into each server weekly to run upgrades.

This is the way. It is easy to monitor servers when you are the only user.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • edited February 13

like this?

• SGrafSGraf Hosting ProviderServices Provider

@techdragon said:
    I currently use Netdata but was wondering if there are any other suggestions / implementations recommended by others.

For basic network/server/service moniting you can look at librenms ( https://www.librenms.org/ ).
    A while back i moved from cacti (https://www.cacti.net/) to librenms and havnt looked back.

Thanked by (1)techdragon

MyRoot.PW ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Web-Hosting ★ LIR-Services ★
    MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★
    Blesta.Store ★ Blesta licenses and Add-ons at amazing Prices ★

• edited February 13

@ZuckZwing said:

@yoursunny said:
    We SSH into each server weekly to run upgrades.

This is the way. It is easy to monitor servers when you are the only user.

When there are other users, they will alert me by knocking on my dorm door or leaving a message in Windows Live Messenger.

Likewise, I have UptimeRobot and several other scripts to monitor other people's servers that I rely on.
    If it's broken for more than 60 minutes, I alert them on Slack, and they'll reluctantly fix it.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @webcraft said: The content is shorter than the title..

To be fair, that's just so because of the large font in the title. For posterity, using the same font for the content, it would be (marginally) longer than the title.

• Zabbix (+Proxies) , which are monitored by HetrixTools.

Thanked by (1)techdragon
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited February 13

I mostly don't - found limited value in it. Though that is me a selfhoster - I could see LES provider gang ending up with different conclusions.

If I need to I try to aim for the grafana ecosystem. Its not the easiest (netdata is point & shoot) but grafana is a case of all roads lead to rome whether you need dashboard, metrics, logging, spans etc

Thanked by (2)skorous techdragon
  • @havoc said:
    I mostly don't - found limited value in it. Though that is me a selfhoster - I could see LES provider gang ending up with different conclusions.

If I need to I try to aim for the grafana ecosystem. Its not the easiest (netdata is point & shoot) but grafana is a case of all roads lead to rome whether you need dashboard, metrics, logging, spans etc

I've always wanted to try feeding Riemann off Grafana data but haven't had the time to try it yet.

• @skorous said:
    I've always wanted to try feeding Riemann off Grafana data but haven't had the time to try it yet.

https://github.com/faxm0dem/grafana-riemann-websocket-datasource/

Or wait, you want the other way around, take data from Grafana and send events to Riemann?
    That's actually kind of moot since Grafana does not generate or store data itself, it just reads from other sources such as Influx, Graphite, SQL or whatever. It would make way more sense to just get the data from the actual source.
    I think there already is a Riemann client for Graphite, I'm almost sure a customer used one a while ago.

Thanked by (1)skorous
  • @rcy026 said:

@skorous said:

Or wait, you want the other way around, take data from Grafana and send events to Riemann?
    That's actually kind of moot since Grafana does not generate or store data itself, it just reads from other sources such as Influx, Graphite, SQL or whatever. It would make way more sense to just get the data from the actual source.
    I think there already is a Riemann client for Graphite, I'm almost sure a customer used one a while ago.

Yeah, I said Graphana data but I meant data destined for Graphana. Make it the collection point for all my Collectd instances so it sees everything and forwards it on. Seems like such a cool system.

• UP
    Time
    Kuma

Thanked by (1)skorous
  • Hetrixtools have been serving well for a couple of years.

Thanked by (2)skorous techdragon
  • @skorous said:

@rcy026 said:

@skorous said:

Yeah, I said Graphana data but I meant data destined for Graphana. Make it the collection point for all my Collectd instances so it sees everything and forwards it on. Seems like such a cool system.

Collectd can write to both Influx and Graphite, so I suggest you just pick one and let that be the collection point for everything.
    Just setup a Graphite, let collectd feed it and read from it with both Graphana and Riemann.