Do you use linux as your daily driver on laptop/pc?

13»

Comments

• @gravhosting said:
    I would if it had better gaming support...it's getting there.

Cba to dual boot / swap between OS's too annoying.

I can't think of a single game I've tried to run from my Steam library that doesn't work fine under Linux - Proton does an amazing job (although I often have to peg it to v7, for some reason)

• No, desktop linux is too much of a hodge podge house of cards. Free software is not really compatible with making a good desktop operating system, with no incentive to work on the boring bits or make things coherent. Also luck of the draw whether maintainers care about subjective flaws such as input lag, general latency, etc

• gravhostinggravhosting Hosting Provider

@ahnlak said:

@gravhosting said:

I can't think of a single game I've tried to run from my Steam library that doesn't work fine under Linux - Proton does an amazing job (although I often have to peg it to v7, for some reason)

Yeah but there are afew games that I play that they don't support :(

• Arch + Hyprland

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@ahnlak said:

@gravhosting said:

I'd assume that most of my games that won't run on Linux would be games with a custom launcher/and or anti-cheat like Valorant, various MMORPGs, some old GOG games and some indie titles. For gaming, Windows is still the go-to imho. But also as a Desktop solution, it's the perfect choice for me. Anything I need linux, I have in a VM and there's also WSL if one wanted to use that with Docker or smth

• jfreak53jfreak53 Hosting Provider

Yes, our whole office. We converted to Xubuntu for every office PC and laptop 15 years ago, havent looked back since.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

microtronixdc.com - Colocation, Dedicated Servers, Full-Rack options, VPS. John 3:16 - Jesus Saves!!
    Massive Network Bandwidth options with Fiber throughout, up to 100Gbps connections! Always-On DDoS Mitigation for all traffic!

• I use arch BTW.
    But more seriously - arch + KDE Plasma dualbooted with Windows for the occasional game that doesn't run under linux
    Looking to switch to a WM though as using a mouse gets uncomfortable after some time.
    Anyone mind sharing their dotfiles?

• I always have 4 virtual desktops available on the taskbar: I'm surprised Windoze hasn't stolen that idea, yet. I can't stand the cluttered switching on a standard Windoze desktop.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• edited February 10

xfce looks cool and polished now

i was using it couple years ago for vnc instances

• @Ympker said:

@ahnlak said:

@gravhosting said:

I'd assume that most of my games that won't run on Linux would be games with a custom launcher/and or anti-cheat like Valorant, various MMORPGs, some old GOG games and some indie titles. For gaming, Windows is still the go-to imho. But also as a Desktop solution, it's the perfect choice for me. Anything I need linux, I have in a VM and there's also WSL if one wanted to use that with Docker or smth

Most indie games and GOG games run fine on linux AFAIK as long as they are singleplayer. Certain multiplayer games might not run.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Used too much that i can't decide. Had mint cinnamon installed as main driver, but went back to windows, cause the updates where kind of minimal some years ago. On VMs preferred xubuntu, cause of basic xfce destop.
    Looking by design, Ubuntu or Opensuse would fit my visual esthetics. The opposite i hate is debian, it runs fantastic, but ugly design i can't see on my desktop.

• @ascicode said:
    Used too much that i can't decide. Had mint cinnamon installed as main driver, but went back to windows, cause the updates where kind of minimal some years ago. On VMs preferred xubuntu, cause of basic xfce destop.
    Looking by design, Ubuntu or Opensuse would fit my visual esthetics. The opposite i hate is debian, it runs fantastic, but ugly design i can't see on my desktop.

How do you mean Debian looks ugly?

• @Amadex said:

@ascicode said:
    Used too much that i can't decide. Had mint cinnamon installed as main driver, but went back to windows, cause the updates where kind of minimal some years ago. On VMs preferred xubuntu, cause of basic xfce destop.

How do you mean Debian looks ugly?

It uses standard settings of the defined DE. I know its defined per distro, like the color settings from ubuntu. For me, minimal versions are the best, just browser, mail, office and thats it.

• Test drive Linux distros online: https://distrosea.com/

Thanked by (2)Ympker mee2
  • Despite using Linux on servers for 25 years now, I detest Linux with a passion for desktops. I stick with macOS, a good balance between Windows and Linux.

• edited February 15

Zorin OS is the distro used for the last 2 years.

I didn't use Windows by about 8-10 years. I had to do something on Windows, recently, for someone, and I was kinda lost in space :) (recovered quickly, but...)

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Zorin, comes always late. Sadly

• debian + lxd

• @ehab said:
    debian + lxd

You love it stable 🤭

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • Nope. Laptop is Windows 11. Raspberry pi is BookWorm, but that's more like home server.

Filen.io - use this link to signup and we both get extra 10GB free.
    https://filen.io/r/4d472d5cdb57f6663621a251065e0b51