Questions about a hosting provider's actions.

2»

Comments

• edited March 6

Hosting over WiFi though, that's some guts I'd say.
    At least have some measures down to protect yourself/your life if you want to do basement hosting.

Also, cat5e cables are cheap.

You never know what you'll attract. No matter what your clients do, the legal liability is on you since residential bandwidth are not supposed to be resold.

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @somik said:
    A host monitoring your network activity? Has access to your VM? Sounds normal to me. I mean my host has access to my dedicated server. How else do you expect them to help you troubleshoot when your server isn't working or connecting to the network (when you/i screw around with the network/firewall settings)? Also wireshark is a valuable tool to ensure your network is not getting notices for hacking/torrenting or other illegal activity (unless you are using encrypted connections ONLY).

I am guessing your host was hosting the server from his home/office and not a DC. Keep the prices low and quality even lower :p

I can't talk much about that since I am also hosting my personal servers at my home. If I was living in a different country, I don't see why I woudn't be hosting others as well.

Basement hosting FTW!

This is all pretty explainable the only odd part is the Mi TV, but i'll go back in to see. He'd brag about having a network backbone whatever with a major provider on all his datacenters with 10Gbps connectivity and that he's slowly transferring them to 25Gbps, so idrk, maybe a big house? 😂

• @terrorgen said:
    At least have some measures down to protect yourself/your life if you want to do basement hosting.

You never know what you'll attract. No matter what your clients do, the legal liability is on you since residential bandwidth are not supposed to be resold.

The Wi-Fi password gave me a good chuckle though, it was "Socks" and like 8 numbers right after. Bad part is that if I recall correctly, DHCP was active. OpenWRT router

• @yucchun said:

@somik said:
    A host monitoring your network activity? Has access to your VM? Sounds normal to me. I mean my host has access to my dedicated server. How else do you expect them to help you troubleshoot when your server isn't working or connecting to the network (when you/i screw around with the network/firewall settings)? Also wireshark is a valuable tool to ensure your network is not getting notices for hacking/torrenting or other illegal activity (unless you are using encrypted connections ONLY).

I am guessing your host was hosting the server from his home/office and not a DC. Keep the prices low and quality even lower :p

I can't talk much about that since I am also hosting my personal servers at my home. If I was living in a different country, I don't see why I woudn't be hosting others as well.

Basement hosting FTW!

This is all pretty explainable the only odd part is the Mi TV, but i'll go back in to see. He'd brag about having a network backbone whatever with a major provider on all his datacenters with 10Gbps connectivity and that he's slowly transferring them to 25Gbps, so idrk, maybe a big house? 😂

Well, the network admin does need something to do while waiting for people to complain. And Mi TV a popular choice since all you need is internet access and you can play most videos on it. Sometimes I wonder why more shops don't use those cheap android TVs to play their promotional videos on the store displays...

I did say it could be a basement hosting, but I wont rule out those multi story logistics hubs or cheapo warehouses. You can easily register them as a business and use them however you like...

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• edited March 7

basement hosting with 10Gbps... I wish I have that hehe....

But, since connectivity is provided through wifi, 10Gbps would never be achieved anyways.

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @terrorgen said:

At least its 5Ghz, DataIdeas had ran the Pi Zeros over 2.4Ghz or still does.
    It was cheap thought when on sale for 1 dullah.

• edited March 7

holy crap Batman, didn't think I'd hear that name again. back when atomic pi came out he was known in the sbc community for making shitty windows images with stuff side loaded in.