The world's first free RISC-V servers available in the cloud

Scaleway recently released their RISC-V lineup as the first RISC-V servers in the cloud, clever marketing but we don't believe its entirely true...

Back in December of 2022 we released a small handful of RISC-V servers on our original Micronode panel (The one for dedicated devices, pi's etc.) We never really advertised them but they ended up being fairly widely used by the RISC-V Development community for testing and CI/CD.

As RISC-V hardware has recently became more widely available they are mainly idling in a rack in our DC and as most people likely just want to test out the Architecture and not use them for anything serious we're offering a free RISC-V VPS to anyone that is currently using the Micronode platform.

**There are a couple of caveats here: **
This is whilst stocks last - we have 20 RISC-V SBCs which are single core 1GB RAM, they will be split using LXC with equal share meaning that everyone that participates will get 256MB RAM, 1/4th CPU share and 10GB disk.

We are only supporting Ubuntu 22.04.

We won't be adding these as a node to the panel, there will be no automation and reinstalls will be done on a best effort basis.

They are slow as shit not very fast and performance will be pretty limited.

They are IPv6 only, no IPv4 address nat or otherwise will or can be provided.

They will be provisioned slowly over the next few weeks

If you would like to try one out please open a ticket - I don't want to encourage spam....

Thanked by (1)wankel
Tagged:

Comments

• MicronodeMicronode Hosting Provider

oh and if these don't "sell out" I'll ship them out worldwide for the cost of shipping to anyone interested.

• Can i get it?

• I'm interested. I just tried to login to my account to send a ticket, but I wasn't able to. Did you transition away from WHMCS?

edited March 8

@jgo24 said:
    Can i get it?

Read the post ;)

@natvps_uk said: we're offering a free RISC-V VPS to anyone that is currently using the Micronode platform.

@natvps_uk said: If you would like to try one out please open a ticket - I don't want to encourage spam....

@rockinmusicgv said: I'm interested. I just tried to login to my account to send a ticket, but I wasn't able to. Did you transition away from WHMCS?

yes, the new panel uses the same login details as WHMCS. If you can't login for whatever reason send me a DM.

• rm_rm_
    edited March 8

For comparison, you can expect the D1 to be about 25-50% faster than the first Raspberry Pi (2011).
    It is properly 64-bit, so certain tasks like encryption, multimedia and such will benefit more than that. There is also a vector extension (like AVX), but of a prior version than the one everyone have standardized on (RVV 0.7.1), so support in software may be lacking.
    And for some reason the RAM access is like 10x faster than the RPi (measured with "mbw").

Thanked by (1)Micronode
  • I was able to log in. I wonder if the transition process is why the service on my vps was down.

I should probably pay more attention to things...

@rockinmusicgv said:
    I was able to log in. I wonder if the transition process is why the service on my vps was down.

So we migrated on March 17th, we left it just over 3 weeks to give people a chance to realise their VMs were missing from the panel and stopped all orphaned VMs yesterday.

If your VMs aren’t visible in the console open a ticket, I’ll get them migrated across and you can start them back up.

• I'd like to try these. Can anyone help me out with an invite?

• CalinCalin Hosting Provider

@natvps_uk said: oh and if these don't "sell out" I'll ship them out worldwide for the cost of shipping to anyone interested.

>

I'm interested :)) just tell my when you want cancel this server

• I want try.

• @natvps_uk said:

@rockinmusicgv said:
    I was able to log in. I wonder if the transition process is why the service on my vps was down.

So we migrated on March 17th, we left it just over 3 weeks to give people a chance to realise their VMs were missing from the panel and stopped all orphaned VMs yesterday.

If your VMs aren’t visible in the console open a ticket, I’ll get them migrated across and you can start them back up.

I got a notification about a detected service outage a few weeks back -- but I never followed up since the service running on the VM isn't exactly important, I hope I'm not detracting from the thread too much. The VM is in the panel and seems online.

I was able to make a ticket. Thanks.

All out of stock now! I'll provision them asap, likely before next weekend.

Thanked by (1)localhost
  • edited March 10

Do I have to be an existing customer? Or can I just sign up and open a ticket?

Edit: Seems like I need an invite -- who's willing to give one?

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

@Otus9051 said:

They’ve all been allocated now but if you can get an invite code off someone you can apply for the next batch.

• @natvps_uk said:

@Otus9051 said:

They’ve all been allocated now but if you can get an invite code off someone you can apply for the next batch.

how can I generate an invite code? couldn't find anything in the new panel

@sh97 said:

@natvps_uk said:

@Otus9051 said:

how can I generate an invite code? couldn't find anything in the new panel

They are being slow rolled out, I believe around 10% of random users were assigned codes from the first batch. They are almost all used now.

Over the next few weeks I’m going to release a few more. Just trying to slow role things whilst we keep an eye on the nodes etc - a lot of users that just had a single VPS on the UK nodes now have access to all locations so I want to let things settle down before we open it back up to the public.

Thanked by (1)sh97
  • If these are running Linux, is automated installs or provisioning possible in the future? Are there software tools that need to get ported to riscv to enable those features?

@rockinmusicgv said:
    If these are running Linux, is automated installs or provisioning possible in the future? Are there software tools that need to get ported to riscv to enable those features?

All of our tooling is written in python and we already have LXC support so it would technically work ootb. The issue is we can only get 2-4 VMs per board making the automation a bit of a pain.

• Who could give me a invition of Micronode?

• Thanks to your kindness.
    May I apply one server?