Namecrane is live

LeeLee OG
edited March 7 in General

If you have not seen it, the new brand of BuyShared/BuyVM is live. The new plans are good, and the servers are blazing fast—at least the new UK location is.

https://namecrane.com

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles webmash

Comments

• AndreiAndrei Services Provider

@Lee said:
    If you have not seen it, the new brand of BuyShared/BuyVM is live. The new plans are good, and the servers are blazing fast—at least the new UK location is.

https://namecran.com

Missing the ending E in the name.

Thanked by (2)Lee Not_Oles
  • LeeLee OG
    edited March 7

Fixed, getting old you know, eyesight is failing. :)

Thanked by (3)Andrei Not_Oles vyas
  • L San,
    Namcran link nds twaking.

Bst Rgards…

Squats are the new Push-ups

• Thanked by (1)willie
  • armandorgarmandorg Services Provider

@dosai said:

Scroll down so we can see the end of the reply… ;)

Web Design Agency - Custom Web Designs
    WHMCS.design - WHMCS Themes | Blesta.shop - Blesta Themes

• edited March 9

@armandorg said:

@dosai said:

Scroll down so we can see the end of the reply… ;)

For context, @SirFoxy leaked private conversation between him and fran in attempt to cause damage to Fran/BuyVM for personal reasons, it was a personal attack.

And then it backfired,

My brother in crane,

Foxy

Yeah, that's foxy for ya', oh well :) I was hoping ignoring him he'd not cause drama, but this is LET after all.

Cloudzy Articles

You'll find similar articles trying to paint BuyVM in a bad light too. Cloudzy has rented IP space from us since BuyVM first started basically and they've always handled complaints quickly. They're just hating on him for his nationality. He's a genuinely kind guy that just wants to run his company and be left alone.

I've known the owner of Clouzdy since before BuyVM was a thing, back when we were still doing Ragnarok Onine hosting in Portland.

BuyVM

Yes, he's interested in BuyVM, and He'd be a good owner to it too. He's close to my beliefs in most things, and even a bit more so given where he's grown up. The guys seen some shit.
    There was a deal agreed to but as of now the part for the VPS side so He can plan things out logistically. Will he buy it? I'm sure in time. But, anyone wanting to buy us would be keeping everyone onboard for years to at least guide things plan wise, location wise, feature wise, and franning wise.

He has the team to push BuyVM to more locations, features, and offerings. I'm simply way too burnt out to do that on my own. Remember, BuyVM is just 4 of us now that Karen is full time Crane.

Cloudzy is actively RTO'ing a lot of our IP space though, colocates with us in all of our locations, and in exchange he lets us colocate with him in the UK (basically to let us see if it's a viable location for Crane). We intended to colocate in his SG location that he just opened and have that as day 1 launch location. I didn't like datacenter though.

What about Crane

I'm not the full owner of NameCrane. Both Karen & Mike own large shares in the company and also do much of the work. Some BuyVM workers are also helping over there for support.

Minus all the initial launch work (building, racking, coding a lot of WHMCS hooks), they'll handle much of the work for the brand, letting me catch by breath some.

Personal

I've been doing this for over 10+ years and put my whole life on pause to do it. I didn't date anyone, I just worked, got fat from eating too much candy. Thankfully keto helped me drop 40 pounds. I only recently, as of February 24th, got married. Yes, I used a toy lego crane to propose to her, i'll find the photos later :P

Francisco

From OGF.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Bit of a d1ck move to share info about non-compete terms from private conversations.

• What's up with the lore with SirFoxy? I remember him for having written some quite interesting posts / interviews for OGF then next thing I know he turns insane.

• @RachelMcAdams said:
    What's up with the lore with SirFoxy? I remember him for having written some quite interesting posts / interviews for OGF then next thing I know he turns insane.

He's always been a bit keen to show off how he has the inside scoop on everything (regardless of whether or not he actually does).

But I guess he brings in the clicks for the other place :shrug:

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

Thanks for the thread :) We'll be sure to get a corporate user on here and hopefully post some exclusive offers. Mike's a lot more aggressive on sales/offers/etc than I'll ever be.

It's been a soft launch. As @Lee experienced himself we had some node provisioning issues (DNS not linked to the cluster, Jetbackup wasn't ready yet, etc). In the end we had a 'go date' as set by Karen. The site was supposed to be live back in Septemeber but work, medical, hardware shipments, etc, kept getting in the way for all of us.

I'm happy to see things live. Mike expects to have the old legacy/budget resellers back in place in the next day or so with the same resources/prices.

We'll have new budget shared plans (based on DirectAdmin) at the same old pricing but with 3x~5x more resources. We'll go back and apply the same resources to all active shared users. We'll be able to guarantee the price on the DA based plans, but obviously can't do that on the cPanel shared and we expect to have to bump prices at one point or another due to cPanel.

Anyway, thanks :)

Francisco

• From NameCrane (on OGF):

@NameCrane said:
    The old reseller plans are back in stock now - https://namecrane.com/store/budget-reseller-hosting

And the old $8/$13 shared plans made a return. They're now DirectAdmin-only, but 1GB plan -> 5GB, and 5GB plan -> 15GB. https://namecrane.com/store/da-shared-hosting

All of the plans are available in the new (London, New York City) and existing locations.

We aren't doing plan migrations though if you want a location swap on an old plan (lots of work for a $2 reseller). So you'll need to order a new plan and migrate yourself

Thanked by (2)Wonder_Woman Ympker
  • What does Semi-Dedicated Hosting mean?

• @AaronSS said:
    What does Semi-Dedicated Hosting mean?

that you're not limited by "fair usage" I guess... because he will assign you dedicated cores and ram and you can bang it how much you (your clients) want.

Thanked by (1)AaronSS
  • So do you get your own VPS or is it just controlled with limits?

• @AaronSS said:
    So do you get your own VPS or is it just controlled with limits?

It's a cPanel or DirectAdmin reseller, not a VPS.

• LeeLee OG
    edited March 11

@Francisco said: It's been a soft launch. As @Lee experienced himself we had some node provisioning issues (DNS not linked to the cluster, Jetbackup wasn't ready yet, etc). In the end we had a 'go date' as set by Karen. The site was supposed to be live back in Septemeber but work, medical, hardware shipments, etc, kept getting in the way for all of us.

Some teething issues at the start, but the performance is stellar on the UK servers.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Has anyone specified what Mike is Mike-ing?

• @MichaelCee said: Has anyone specified what Mike is Mike-ing?

it's @Harambe

Thanked by (2)Ympker MichaelCee
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

@Amadex said:

@AaronSS said:

that you're not limited by "fair usage" I guess... because he will assign you dedicated cores and ram and you can bang it how much you (your clients) want.

That would just be "dedicated cores" no?

@havoc said:

@Amadex said:

@AaronSS said:

That would just be "dedicated cores" no?

It's basically just very high resource limits. Storage, Cores, RAM, etc. It's still a standard reseller, but we've had lots of requests over the years for bigger plans.

These plans also use 'reseller limits' which means a reseller can allocate CPU/RAM on a per plan/user basis via the LVE section.

If you're not selling resellers and you're just doing shared, then these are very cost competitive once you take license costs into it. You aren't getting 2TB of NVME, 8 cores, 32GB RAM, wicked fast CPU's, and all the trimmings for licensing, for < $120/m anyway.

• Litespeed $35/month
    • DA/cPanel $30/month (though, DA is free at BuyVM!)
    • Softaculous $1/month (also free at BuyVM!)
    • Imunify360 $20/month
    • Cloudlinux $12.50/month

It takes a lot to get a shared/reseller node off the ground these days.

Francisco

Thanked by (2)havoc nick_
  • LeeLee OG
    edited March 11

Crates will be great for WordPress folks with a busy site or multiple sites and love their 50 plugins. Many people move to a VPS due to the standard 1 CPU and 2GB RAM limits on most current resellers holding them back.

A $30 4-core, 8GB RAM cPanel reseller is not widely available at the moment, at least not from reputable providers. You can also create your own resource plans.

• @Lee said:
    Crates will be great for WordPress folks with a busy site or multiple sites and love their 50 plugins. Many people move to a VPS due to the standard 1 CPU and 2GB RAM limits on most current resellers holding them back.

A $30 4-core, 8GB RAM cPanel reseller is not widely available at the moment, at least not from reputable providers. You can also create your own resource plans.

A big source of inspiration for the plans is a number of the dev/design agencies I've worked with that handle hosting for their clients.

Standard resellers don't give them enough resources, so they get stuck paying $20/mo per site to some managed WP provider who gives extremely small amounts of storage/bandwidth or has a cap on monthly visitors.

Thanked by (2)Ympker Lee
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited March 12

Btw, my 2 cents: If I didn't receive the email announcement I wouldn't have noticed a thing!

(In a good way, as in, everything is still running as smoothly as before.)

Thanked by (1)NameCrane

We just finished upgrading all legacy Shared 1G, 5G, & 15G cPanel shared plans.

Shared 1G => Shared 5G
    Shared 5G => Shared 15G
    Shared 20G => Shared 25G

Your price stays the same, there's nothing you need to complete on your end. The resources have already been applied!

IO & IOPS limits have also been removed from all plans/resellers globally.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    We just finished upgrading all legacy Shared 1G, 5G, & 15G cPanel shared plans.

Shared 1G => Shared 5G
    Shared 5G => Shared 15G
    Shared 20G => Shared 25G

Your price stays the same, there's nothing you need to complete on your end. The resources have already been applied!

IO & IOPS limits have also been removed from all plans/resellers globally.

Francisco

Confirmed. My Shared 1G upgraded to Shared 5G
    Thanks @Francisco

Thanked by (1)Francisco
  • Congrats Fran, I got the email announcing Namecrane a couple weeks ago, but didn't know the backstory. I'm looking forward to domain registration there!

We were busy this past week and built a Redis plugin for both cPanel and Directadmin!

This is enabled for all users/plans by default. Reseller/Crates can of course disable it in their user plans if they want to.

Some users have already started using it and have reported nice speedups on already wicked fast pages.

Enjoy!

Francisco

• Migration Center (beta)

We just released our new Migration Center tool that @Francisco has been working on the past couple of weeks. Our goal was to create a simple self-serve cPanel account migration tool. A lot of time gets spent on coordinating transfers with customers to reduce downtime so we're hoping this fixes that.

This works with single cPanel shared accounts or multi-account transfers to resellers/crates.

If you've got a cPanel plan with us and need to migrate some accounts, please give it a go and share feedback and feature requests with us.

We've been testing it but it's still got the beta flag on it because I'm sure someone will find an edge case that breaks it.

DirectAdmin already has a number of user-accessible migration tools, but we're also looking at ways to make that easier/just improve the user interface a bit.

Also looking for other useful tools we can integrate to make a hosting migration easier - thinking about stuff like IMAPsync to easily move/update mail accounts after a DNS switch.

Thanked by (2)Khalequzzaman Ympker
  • edited April 20

Anyone have a "one month later" review of any sort? I know they have a good reputation for the VPS side so I'm tempted to move all my sites over...

• @SocksAreComfortable said:
    Anyone have a "one month later" review of any sort? I know they have a good reputation for the VPS side so I'm tempted to move all my sites over...

Decent so far, for such a short time, I can say "it just works"
    I have a blesta portal hosted there with 100% uptime.