Signal introduces "username" feature

13»

Comments

• how does it work? installed signal 7.0.2 (23 feb 2024) on android. startet... phonenumber is still a must!

• @BruhGamer12 said:
    Ive been getting spam now on signal for the first time since the username update .

Are you using a "nice" name and number combination?

• HostAddonHostAddon Hosting Provider

@lapua said:
    how does it work? installed signal 7.0.2 (23 feb 2024) on android. startet... phonenumber is still a must!

That might be necessary for creating the account, but once you do you can update the username in settings and then update the privacy. No one will know or search you by number, but by ur username.

Host Addon | Premium Hosting Services
    ¦| Dedicated Servers | Premium Cloud Hosting | VPS Hosting | Shared Hosting | SSL | Domains

• @HostAddon said:

@lapua said:
    how does it work? installed signal 7.0.2 (23 feb 2024) on android. startet... phonenumber is still a must!

That might be necessary for creating the account, but once you do you can update the username in settings and then update the privacy. No one will know or search you by number, but by ur username.

hmm...
    so it still needs a phone number initially. pointless! and therefore still the biggest design error of siganl. i don't want to send my phone number to signal!

• @RachelMcAdams said:

@BruhGamer12 said:
    Ive been getting spam now on signal for the first time since the username update .

What would you define a "nice" username and number combination to be?

• @Joseph said:

@RachelMcAdams said:

@BruhGamer12 said:

LadiesMan217.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• edited March 14

@lapua said: i don't want to send my phone number to signal!

Use a burner then, its not expensive nor insecure. Depends on where you live, you may even get a SIM card and use it without KYC, anon sim card.

• @Joseph said:

Subjective to the scammers' / spammers' interpretation of course. I would imagine that "james00" or "bitcoin69" look nicer than "jackandjill58".