Email from NodeCheck which I kinda don't understand?

Hi

Good Morning from NodeCheckHQ

Over the last few weeks, we've seen a huge increase in account signups using duck.com / or similar forwarding emails services. Unfortunately we'll no longer be accepting these types of signups or emails.

These forwarding service emails are bouncing most of the time causing our bounce rates to go through the roof as they are not physical email accounts.

Please take a moment to login to your account, and edit your profile to include your real name, and a real working email address, accounts that are not updated will be removed from our platform with no further notice given.

Here's the link: https://nodecheck.net/account

In other news, this weekend we'll be increasing the monitoring limits further.

Thanks, and happy monitoring.

Is using [email protected] a problem now?

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

Comments

• I got the same email. It seems they have some issues.

How are you... online?

• webmashwebmash Hosting ProviderServices Provider
    edited March 15

.xyz isn't an issue. =)

We do have issues with huge signups using email forwarding systems such as duck/slmail/Guerilla/tempmail/yop and others that are not actual inboxes rather temp email services. It's creating bounce backs and an influx of rouge accounts. All we ask for upon signup is a real name, and an actual email account, nothing more.

We've got a good platform in place, and we're ready to come out of beta shortly, we welcome signups it's free - but be decent about it and just use real details. (https://nodecheck.net)

On a side note, thanks to everyone that's logged in and updated their accounts. Very much appreciated. <3

TIA. B)

• edited March 15

@webmash said:
    We've got a good platform in place, and we're ready to come out of beta shortly, we welcome signups it's free - but be decent about it and just use real details. (https://nodecheck.net)

I just signed up, and it looks good.

I created a couple of ping monitors, and both IPv6 are reported as down. Don't you support IPv6 ping monitoring yet?

IPv6 support is coming soon B)

Thanked by (3)lorian xvps wankel
  • @webmash said:
    IPv6 support is coming soon B)

Soon™

• @webmash said:
    .xyz isn't an issue. =)

We do have issues with huge signups using email forwarding systems such as duck/slmail/Guerilla/tempmail/yop and others that are not actual inboxes rather temp email services. It's creating bounce backs and an influx of rouge accounts. All we ask for upon signup is a real name, and an actual email account, nothing more.

On a side note, thanks to everyone that's logged in and updated their accounts. Very much appreciated. <3

TIA. B)

The free accounts attract a lot of testing, then people then decide to use or not. If you add some lifetime features for like $1, then you would be amazed how people will protect their investment with real email addresses.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

How are you... online?

• ScalebladeScaleblade Hosting Provider

@webmash said:
    .xyz isn't an issue. =)

TIA. B)

You should log email bounce-backs. If an email bounces back more than once you simply stop sending the emails and give a notification on the dashboard to verify/change email address. I have found that limiting user signups to certain emails (especially for a SaaS product) can be a bad way to go.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. B)

• @webmash said:
    It's creating bounce backs and an influx of rouge accounts.

Thanked by (2)wankel skorous
    edited March 15
  • @root said:

@webmash said:
    .xyz isn't an issue. =)

TIA. B)

The free accounts attract a lot of testing, then people then decide to use or not. If you add some lifetime features for like $1, then you would be amazed how people will protect their investment with real email addresses.

I would never use my real email account on anything given the number of cases of data leaks and data sales and spamming.

That said, I would not use a public email forwarder either. I buy a cheap/on-offer domain and setup my own email service and let the domain expire when I don't need it. If it is something I use long term (like LES), I use my secondary domain to create unique email aliases to signup so once I start to receive spams, I know who it is that's spamming me and point that email alias to my spam inbox instead.

Thanked by (3)root Otus9051 Wonder_Woman

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• @somik said:

@root said:

@webmash said:
    .xyz isn't an issue. =)

TIA. B)

I would never use my real email account on anything given the number of cases of data leaks and data sales and spamming.

That said, I would not use a public email forwarder either. I buy a cheap/on-offer domain and setup my own email service and let the domain expire when I don't need it. If it is something I use long term (like LES), I use my secondary domain to create unique email aliases to signup so once I start to receive spams, I know who it is that's spamming me and point that email alias to my spam inbox instead.

You do great. Congratulations on your approach of solving things the low-end way.

Problem is that most consumers do not know how to do this stuff, so they resort to temporary email address which they change later to their main addresses when they start trusting the service. I can't blame them.

I know there are also many bad apples, especially with free services involved. So the solution is on the provider to figure out a way of separating them (whether is validation on a forum by posting account iD; or some really small payment which can be used to verify and validate trust between both parties; or some other form of separating good customers from bad customers).

Thanked by (1)Otus9051

How are you... online?

• somiksomik OG
    edited March 17

@root said:
    I know there are also many bad apples, especially with free services involved. So the solution is on the provider to figure out a way of separating them (whether is validation on a forum by posting account iD; or some really small payment which can be used to verify and validate trust between both parties; or some other form of separating good customers from bad customers).

I agree with you. Since there are also bad apples on the provider's side, this is why the users tend to not use their main email for these signups.

I understand that there are incentives for the provider to keep emailing the users on their new services or discount offers, even after the user has cancelled their service. Some providers do not even give an easy way to unsubscribe (requiring you to sign in, edit your account and choose email preferences), while in some cases, users do not want to bother with figuring out how to unsubscribe. Finally, with those spams that use the unsubscribe link to validate that the email is in use and blast spam to that inbox, users are more and more hesitant to click on unsubscribe links.

This had lead to the situation where the users are not willing to trust the providers with their real email, and at the same time, the providers not trusting the user with "fake" email addresses. As such, free services which rely on users to provide "real" details suffer from bad actors and are forced to shutdown their free services. Think of how many free services existed 20 years back compared to now.

I do not see any solution to this problem while still maintaining anonymity on the internet...

Thanked by (1)root

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.