What VPS specs are needed to sell shared hosting?

What server specifications are typically required for selling shared hosting? This includes RAM, CPUs, storage, networking, and bandwidth.

Success is not just a destination; it's a journey of growth, learning, and resilience. 🚀🌱

Thanked by (1)AaronSS

Comments

• edited March 14

That really depends on what you’ve hosting

• Where is our AI to answer this general question with a generalized answer? AI talk to AI..

• Why would you use a VPS to sell shared hosting?

You'll find that each web server costs at least $60 a month in licensing costs if you match most offers.

You may want to look into dedicated servers.

• edited March 15

The server specifications required for selling shared hosting can vary depending on several factors such as the number of accounts you plan to host, the anticipated traffic and resource usage of those accounts, and the specific features and services you intend to offer. However, here are some typical server specifications you might consider:

1. Processor: A multi-core processor (such as Intel Xeon or AMD Ryzen) with sufficient processing power to handle simultaneous requests from multiple accounts.
    2. RAM (Memory): Adequate RAM to ensure smooth operation and performance under load. Typically, anywhere from 8GB to 32GB or more may be needed, depending on the scale of your hosting operation.
    3. Storage: Fast and reliable storage is crucial. Solid State Drives (SSDs) are preferred over traditional Hard Disk Drives (HDDs) for their faster read/write speeds. The amount of storage required depends on the total disk space allocated to all hosted accounts.
    4. Bandwidth: Sufficient bandwidth to accommodate the combined traffic of all hosted websites. This can vary greatly depending on the types of websites hosted and their expected traffic levels.
    5. Control Panel: If you're offering a control panel like cPanel or Plesk to your customers, make sure the server has enough resources to handle the control panel's requirements in addition to the hosted websites.
    6. Security: Robust security measures including firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention systems, and regular software updates to protect both your server and the websites hosted on it.
    7. Backup System: A reliable backup system to ensure data integrity and facilitate quick recovery in case of data loss or server failure.
    8. Scalability: The ability to easily scale resources (such as CPU, RAM, storage) as your hosting business grows is essential. Consider choosing a hosting provider or server configuration that allows for seamless scalability.
    9. Technical Support: Access to reliable technical support, either through your hosting provider or your own in-house team, to promptly address any server issues or customer inquiries.
    10. Software and Services: Depending on your customers' needs, you may need to install additional software or services such as PHP, MySQL, email servers, and other web hosting-related components.

Remember to regularly monitor server performance and resource usage to ensure that your hosting environment remains stable and responsive for all your customers.

• @AaronSS said:
    The server specifications required for selling shared hosting can vary depending on several factors such as the number of accounts you plan to host, the anticipated traffic and resource usage of those accounts, and the specific features and services you intend to offer. However, here are some typical server specifications you might consider:

1. Processor: A multi-core processor (such as Intel Xeon or AMD Ryzen) with sufficient processing power to handle simultaneous requests from multiple accounts.
    2. RAM (Memory): Adequate RAM to ensure smooth operation and performance under load. Typically, anywhere from 8GB to 32GB or more may be needed, depending on the scale of your hosting operation.
    3. Storage: Fast and reliable storage is crucial. Solid State Drives (SSDs) are preferred over traditional Hard Disk Drives (HDDs) for their faster read/write speeds. The amount of storage required depends on the total disk space allocated to all hosted accounts.
    4. Bandwidth: Sufficient bandwidth to accommodate the combined traffic of all hosted websites. This can vary greatly depending on the types of websites hosted and their expected traffic levels.
    5. Control Panel: If you're offering a control panel like cPanel or Plesk to your customers, make sure the server has enough resources to handle the control panel's requirements in addition to the hosted websites.
    6. Security: Robust security measures including firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention systems, and regular software updates to protect both your server and the websites hosted on it.
    7. Backup System: A reliable backup system to ensure data integrity and facilitate quick recovery in case of data loss or server failure.
    8. Scalability: The ability to easily scale resources (such as CPU, RAM, storage) as your hosting business grows is essential. Consider choosing a hosting provider or server configuration that allows for seamless scalability.
    9. Technical Support: Access to reliable technical support, either through your hosting provider or your own in-house team, to promptly address any server issues or customer inquiries.
    10. Software and Services: Depending on your customers' needs, you may need to install additional software or services such as PHP, MySQL, email servers, and other web hosting-related components.

Remember to regularly monitor server performance and resource usage to ensure that your hosting environment remains stable and responsive for all your customers.

It is impressive how AI can vomit a wall of text without any actual substances. At least it spits out "8GB to 32GB" so we know that the numpad is not broken.

Thanked by (1)AaronSS
  • What kills me is the fact you guys take this question seriously. If you can't research and figure shit out you don't belong running anything.

Thanked by (3)wankel webcraft fluttershy

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• edited March 15

@AuroraZero said: What kills me is the fact you guys take this question seriously. If you can't research and figure shit out you don't belong running anything.

Take it easy, grandpa. I just wanted to know what type of server people are using to sell shared hosting. not planning to sell anything

Success is not just a destination; it's a journey of growth, learning, and resilience. 🚀🌱

• @Rambo said:

@AuroraZero said: What kills me is the fact you guys take this question seriously. If you can't research and figure shit out you don't belong running anything.

Take it easy, grandpa. I just wanted to know what type of server people are using to sell shared hosting. not planning to sell anything

Nobody remotely sane is selling shared hosting out of a VPS. Just grab a cheap dedi if you're eager to start out low end DIY, or a decent reseller if you just want to get going.

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • AuroraZeroAuroraZero Retired
    edited March 15

@Rambo said:

Excuse me? I do believe I am able to express my opinions here and not be ridiculed for my age am I not correct?

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• edited March 15

@AuroraZero said:

@Rambo said:

Excuse me? I do believe I am able to express my opinions here and not be ridiculed for my age am I not correct?

Watch out, next question from op is "How to close the door?". He's not only ridiculing about your age but also about our intellectual power and astuteness.

• @webcraft said:

@AuroraZero said:

@Rambo said:

Watch out, next question from op is "How to close the door?". He's not only ridiculing about your age but also about our intellectual power and astuteness.

Yeah I got that just sometimes wish people would engage brain before mouth

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

• Thanked by (1)AuroraZero
  • @ahnlak said:

@Rambo said:

Nobody remotely sane is selling shared hosting out of a VPS. Just grab a cheap dedi if you're eager to start out low end DIY, or a decent reseller if you just want to get going.

There's several large and small companies doing shared hosting off of VPS, not sure what you're talking about.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@AuroraZero said:

@Rambo said:

<3

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @fluttershy said:

@ahnlak said:

@Rambo said:

There's several large and small companies doing shared hosting off of VPS, not sure what you're talking about.

I stand corrected, but I still say it's a crazy way to go.

• Wait, I'm running a shared host off a NAT. 10 accounts, everyone gets 2 ports. Booyaa! (Satire, of course)

• YetiNode is running on VirmAche and NexusBytes.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:
    YetiNode is running on VirmAche and NexusBytes.

Sĥhhhhhhhhh