Lifetime/Cheap VPNs with Wireguard support?

Hello,
so, it looks like my FastestVPN "lifetime" plan has finally reached the end of their "lifetime" days, and my C1V vpn is down - this means that the free wifi at the hackerspace is down :(

So, I'm looking for a cheap VPN that supports at least Wireguard, and needs to have at least one server in italy (preferrabily in Milan), and if possible can reach up to gigabit speeds (we have 2.5gbit here).

I'm not an expert about VPNs and the plethora of choices and ad-ridden SEO spam articles is making choosing something really hard.

I don't care about logging, i don't care about privacy or anything else, it can also be a blacklisted non-residentiial ip. If it can go out the net, then it's okay. It's just for IPv4 fallback (everything else gets a native IPv6)

Comments

• edited March 18

We've got to call in the expert, @Ympker

Thanked by (4)sh97 ehab Chievo Ympker
  • Why is your FastestVPN lifetime plan no longer working?

• @Joseph said:
    Why is your FastestVPN lifetime plan no longer working?

I think it's because older lifetime plans don't support WireGuard, requiring a plan upgrade.

• Is wireguard the best and most efficient protocol to use with a VPN?

• @Joseph said:
    Is wireguard the best and most efficient protocol to use with a VPN?

yes

• edited March 19

According to FastestVPN's website they do offer WireGuard, the lifetime plan is at a discount, going for $40 right now.

https://fastestvpn.com/buy-vpn

Maybe check it out?

• @Joseph said:
    Is wireguard the best and most efficient protocol to use with a VPN?

Yes, alternatively there are VMESS/VLESS protocol with Grpc that can be considered.

• @yucchun said:
    According to FastestVPN's website they do offer WireGuard, the lifetime plan is at a discount, going for $40 right now.

Maybe check it out?

Eh, speeds were quite meh anyway. So I was looking for something better perhaps.

• edited March 19

I have not tried it, but Ivacy VPN supports Wireguard and has servers in Italy, and there is a $ 39.99 lifetime deal on Stacksocial.

https://www.stacksocial.com/search?utf8=✓&query=vpn

• @foxone said:

@yucchun said:

Maybe check it out?

Eh, speeds were quite meh anyway. So I was looking for something better perhaps.

What are you using the VPN for that you're noticing slower speeds with FastestVPN?

• @Joseph said:

@foxone said:

@yucchun said:

Maybe check it out?

What are you using the VPN for that you're noticing slower speeds with FastestVPN?

Debian updates, downloading machine learning weights, downloading iso...
    My network can reach 2.5gbit easily, but with fastestvpn I barely reached 100mbit. C1v VPN was even worse.

• Vpn Unlimited by keepsolid may work

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited March 19

Always happy with Ivacy and Keepsolid :) Can recommend them both. Ivacy I had to contact after 5 years to renew "lifetime" sub. So be aware, that it may end some day if they choose not to renew. That said, the 40$ are a great price even if it only was for 5 years. Ivacy works good for me and they support Wireguard.

An alternative would be Windscribe's "Build your own" plan for 12$/yr/location. So if you want Italy location it's 12$/yr.

My FastestVPN lifetime still works btw:

Thanked by (1)Wonder_Woman
  • @Ympker said:
    Always happy with Ivacy and Keepsolid :) Can recommend them both. Ivacy I had to contact after 5 years to renew "lifetime" sub. So be aware, that it may end some day if they choose not to renew. That said, the 40$ are a great price even if it only was for 5 years. Ivacy works good for me and they support Wireguard.

An alternative would be Windscribe's "Build your own" plan for 12$/yr/location. So if you want Italy location it's 12$/yr.

How did you get Wireguard access? Was it via the app, or did you get like a raw config file which we can use anywhere?

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@sh97 said:

@Ympker said:

How did you get Wireguard access? Was it via the app, or did you get like a raw config file which we can use anywhere?

I used the App for Wireguard. I don't use FastestVPN apps anymore atm due to some LE members reporting rather negative stories about the owner (dubious/possibly criminal background).

Thanked by (1)sh97
  • @Ympker said:

@sh97 said:

@Ympker said:

I used the App for Wireguard. I don't use FastestVPN apps anymore atm due to some LE members reporting rather negative stories about the owner (dubious/possibly criminal background).

Have you ever tried Mullvad, instead?

@foxone said:

@Ympker said:

@sh97 said:

@Ympker said:

Haven't. Surely, it's great for privacy, but all I basically use my vpns for is streaming, geo-blocking and in public wifi, so I really couldn't justify paying a recurring fee with the lifetime vpns I have already ticking those boxes :)

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • @Ympker said:

Does Ivacy give you a dedicated IP and the ability to forward ports?

• @foxone said:

@Ympker said:

@sh97 said:

@Ympker said:

Its good stuff, IVPN is amazing as well. Been using both for a very long time, nothing bad to say about either.

@vercubynal said: Does Ivacy give you a dedicated IP and the ability to forward ports?

If you are looking for a "cheap" VPN with port forwarding that doesn't sell your personal info and isn't run by fraudsters, https://airvpn.org/

Currently on sale, u can get it for as low as 2 eur per month.

Thanked by (1)IAmNix

@vercubynal said:

@Ympker said:

Dedicated IP: nope (afaik)
    Port Forwarding: The last lifetime Deal from Stacksocial for Ivacy that I saw included free pf

• @vercubynal said:

What is the use case for port forwarding?

• @Ympker said:

How do you find the quality of the service with FastestVPN?

• Windscribe's "Build A Plan" starts at $3/month, not $1. It costs $1 per location but you have to spend $3/month minimum. So $36/year.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Joseph said:

@Ympker said:

How do you find the quality of the service with FastestVPN?

As per my previous comment, I have more or less stopped using them due to possibly dubious owner. That said, it has always performed quite decent for me. More or less like Ivacy most of the time.

@nick_ said:
    Windscribe's "Build A Plan" starts at $3/month, not $1. It costs $1 per location but you have to spend $3/month minimum. So $36/year.

Thanks for clarifying, didn't know that.

Thanked by (1)nick_
  • Thanks to @tototo I was able to test out Ivacy VPN:

Ivacy VPN

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider    Location (Link)     Send Speed  Recv Speed  Ping
    Clouvider   London, UK (10G)    541 Mbits/sec   414 Mbits/sec   29.054 ms
    Eranium     Amsterdam, NL (10G)     687 Mbits/sec   869 Mbits/sec   24.858 ms
    Telia   Helsinki, FI (10G)  445 Mbits/sec   464 Mbits/sec   38.699 ms
    Uztelecom   Tashkent, UZ (10G)  189 Mbits/sec   317 Mbits/sec   110.198 ms
    Leaseweb    Singapore, SG (10G)     7.62 Mbits/sec  421 Mbits/sec   158.204 ms
    Clouvider   Los Angeles, CA, US (10G)   275 Mbits/sec   234 Mbits/sec   155.823 ms
    Leaseweb    NYC, NY, US (10G)   265 Mbits/sec   503 Mbits/sec   95.981 ms
    Edgoo   Sao Paulo, BR (1G)  269 Mbits/sec   154 Mbits/sec   187.417 ms

And, with 2$ i got a month of FastestVPN and also did some tests there:

FastestVPN

Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 610 Mbits/sec   | 401 Mbits/sec   | 33.002 ms      
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (10G)       | 674 Mbits/sec   | 872 Mbits/sec   | 29.662 ms      
    Telia           | Helsinki, FI (10G)        | 688 Mbits/sec   | 496 Mbits/sec   | 41.435 ms      
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | busy            | 353 Mbits/sec   | 110.680 ms     
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 4.98 Mbits/sec  | 623 Mbits/sec   | 159.533 ms     
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 307 Mbits/sec   | 129 Mbits/sec   | 165.971 ms     
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 348 Mbits/sec   | 553 Mbits/sec   | 99.034 ms      
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 195 Mbits/sec   | 146 Mbits/sec   | 210.097 ms     

Raw (no VPN)

---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 771 Mbits/sec   | 833 Mbits/sec   | 33.620 ms      
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (10G)       | 761 Mbits/sec   | 909 Mbits/sec   | 27.492 ms      
    Telia           | Helsinki, FI (10G)        | 762 Mbits/sec   | 735 Mbits/sec   | 40.638 ms      
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 352 Mbits/sec   | 295 Mbits/sec   | 114.966 ms     
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 275 Mbits/sec   | 628 Mbits/sec   | 246.313 ms     
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | 275 Mbits/sec   | 166.006 ms     
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 395 Mbits/sec   | 793 Mbits/sec   | 96.620 ms      
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 266 Mbits/sec   | 273 Mbits/sec   | 204.732 ms     

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • From the apps that I have, tested on Android:

iProVPN - yes, it has WireGuard, it has Italy
    FastestVPN - yes, it has WireGuard, it has Italy
    Windscribe - yes, it has WireGuard, it has Italy
    Ivacy - yes, it has WireGuard, it has Italy, it also has port forwarding on Italy (requires higher plan)
    Seed4.me - there is no way to select protocol, it has Italy
    Getflix - only has OpenVPN, it has Italy
    AdGuard VPN - no, there is no WireGuard, it has Italy
    Goose VPN - no WireGuard, it has Italy
    VPN Unlimited - could not test due to some maintenance on their side.

How are you... online?

• @root said:
    From the apps that I have, tested on Android:

Ivacy - yes, it has WireGuard, it has Italy, it also has port forwarding on Italy (requires higher plan)

Do you have any general idea how those providers rank comparatively to each other in terms of speed or quality?

• @Joseph said:

@root said:

Do you have any general idea how those providers rank comparatively to each other in terms of speed or quality?

Internet in Ireland is shit, I get 4MB/s max. I can't test them properly.

Please note I do not have these installed for speeds, but for some privacy against European governments and their anti-privacy laws, such as Digital Service Act.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

How are you... online?

edited March 20

@root said:

@Joseph said:

@root said:

Internet in Ireland is shit, I get 4MB/s max. I can't test them properly.

Please note I do not have these installed for speeds, but for some privacy against European governments and their anti-privacy laws, such as Digital Service Act.

Similarly, I don't need super high speeds. While I get around 250 Mbit/s max, basically any VPN that gets around 50 Mbit/s is fine for me as I only use it for browsing/streaming unblock.