Why are people still using IPv4

Just as an experiment, I've tried to switch all of my networks to IPv6-only configurations.

This is the comfiest setup i have enjoyed so far. I get IPv6 /48 from all my ISPs, every home/house/office i have has a RFC4193 network and they are all bridged together with wireguard. Link-local networks make sure i don't ever lose connection to a host. This is a dream coming true.

I am unconfiguring every IPv4 on every WAN i have. My life has became enlightened.

Thanked by (1)wankel

Comments

• What solution do you use to access the IPv4-only web?

• @Shot² said:
    What solution do you use to access the IPv4-only web?

I don't

Thanked by (2)AaronSS Erisa
  • My local ISP doesn't give me an IPv6 address, so there ya go.

Yay for Comcast.

• @SocksAreComfortable said:
    My local ISP doesn't give me an IPv6 address, so there ya go.

Yay for Comcast.

That's because I am hoarding your IPv6 until you give my socks back!!!

Thanked by (1)wankel

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• ipv4 is Legend

• @AuroraZero said:

@SocksAreComfortable said:

Yay for Comcast.

Maybe if you used a lower quality fabric softener, they wouldn’t be so comfortable!

• @SocksAreComfortable said:

@AuroraZero said:

@SocksAreComfortable said:

Yay for Comcast.

Maybe if you used a lower quality fabric softener, they wouldn’t be so comfortable!

Hey!!!! Back off my Snuggles!!!

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• Third World countries have little IPv6 connectivity.

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero sh97
  • IPv6 is for poor people who cannot afford expensive top quality IPv4.

• @Joseph said:
    Third World countries have little IPv6 connectivity.

Now I know US is third world country as they have little ipv6 connectivity.

• I love IPv6 but it’s still not time for me to switch to IPv6 only.

Too many networks still do not fully support IPv6, e.g. home routers running with cellular data. Each provider has it‘s own APN configuration. If are a beginner with 0 experience, there is a high chance you won’t have working IPv6 on your router…

Then there are beginner ISPs who do not have enough staff, not enough know-how to set up an IPv6 network properly…
    (My ISP gave me multiple static IPv4 but no IPv6 at all x), WireGuard is my only way of getting IPv6 connectivity x))

Unify doesn’t like IPv6 either lol.

IPv4 just works, even if slower and clunkier, causing more NAT, more routing.

• iPv6 is good to get better routes, that's it.
    Most games still need IPv4, unlikely that old games get patched for IPv6, so yea.

Thanked by (1)sh97
  • edited April 5

We barely have any ISPs supporting IPv6 here in Spain, I'd say from the big ones only Digi (Romanian ISP) which is very recent and that's it. Orange/Jazztel tried implementing it and failed miserably, not sure about others.

@Neoon said:
    iPv6 is good to get better routes, that's it.
    Most games still need IPv4, unlikely that old games get patched for IPv6, so yea.

I've never gotten any better routes with IPv6, and I have a lot of VPSs. From my experience, I must disable IPv6 on all of them for basic stuff to work (apt, pip, ...), else I have do deal with issues and some providers just don't want to fix it, specially the ones that give IPv6 as a "bonus".

Try Akile with Debian 12 and check if it works, try Greencloud on their VN location and try apt updating, unless you disable IPv6, won't work. And I'm sure some other providers that I use and I'm not aware have issues too, I just nuke IPv6 with a script at this point.

• skhronskhron Hosting Provider

@zgato said: I must disable IPv6 on all of them for basic stuff to work (apt, pip, ...), else I have do deal with issues and some providers just don't want to fix it, specially the ones that give IPv6 as a "bonus".

Avoid incompetent hosting providers, not IPv6

• @foxone said:
    Just as an experiment, I've tried to switch all of my networks to IPv6-only configurations.

This is the comfiest setup i have enjoyed so far. I get IPv6 /48 from all my ISPs, every home/house/office i have has a RFC4193 network and they are all bridged together with wireguard. Link-local networks make sure i don't ever lose connection to a host. This is a dream coming true.

I am unconfiguring every IPv4 on every WAN i have. My life has became enlightened.

Reasons:

• Because third world countries exist with no IPv6 network infra for ISPs.
    • Not every DC offers IPv6.
    • Almost all sites still support IPv4 so no reason to switch.

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited April 6

@foxone said:

Unless its purely for personal use it isn't viable yet. >50% of visitors to sites don't have ipv6 support, and on the user side many websites don't support it yet, even major players. So dual stack is really the only option atm

• i had problem configuring ipv6 on my router. In the end, I give up and realized that i don't like complicated things. LONG LIFE IPV4!!!

• @aulyaryan said:
    i had problem configuring ipv6 on my router. In the end, I give up and realized that i don't like complicated things. LONG LIFE IPV4!!!

Skill issue bro

• edited April 6

@foxone said:

@aulyaryan said:
    i had problem configuring ipv6 on my router. In the end, I give up and realized that i don't like complicated things. LONG LIFE IPV4!!!

Skill issue bro

Yeah maybe i had skill issue or software issue?

My local isp give me /64 address, and i'm trying many hours why I can't get the ip. My conclusion is it looks like my router doesn't like /64 , so I leave it.

• @aulyaryan said:

@foxone said:

@aulyaryan said:

Skill issue bro

My local isp give me /64 address, and i'm trying many hours why I can't get the ip. My conclusion is it looks like my router doesn't like /64 , so I leave it.

How old is your router?

• @skorous said:

@aulyaryan said:

@foxone said:

@aulyaryan said:

Skill issue bro

How old is your router?

3-4 years old. Still good

• @havoc said:

This image is true, but even if we forgive it for being entirely content-focused, it excludes at least one of service that is more popular than most of them, TikTok. China's top content-based services, generally, are even less likely to support IPv6 than the English-speaking counterparts. It will be interesting to see if this gap widens or narrows in the coming years.

• edited April 6

@skhron said:

@zgato said: I must disable IPv6 on all of them for basic stuff to work (apt, pip, ...), else I have do deal with issues and some providers just don't want to fix it, specially the ones that give IPv6 as a "bonus".

Avoid incompetent hosting providers, not IPv6

Unless ISPs start deploying IPv6, hosting providers won't do their job, as it's pretty much useless.
    Should I go with Movistar to get IPv6 on mobile data, and none on fiber, or Digi to get IPv6 on fiber but not on mobile data?
    (Digi gives GC-NAT by default unless I pay an extra 1€/m, and their shared IPs are super crowded)

• ipv6 is great but no best

• jfreak53jfreak53 Hosting Provider

I use exclusively IPv9 thanks to @yoursunny 👍

Thanked by (3)host_c Ganonk yoursunny

microtronixdc.com - Colocation, Dedicated Servers, Full-Rack options, VPS. John 3:16 - Jesus Saves!!
    Massive Network Bandwidth options with Fiber throughout, up to 100Gbps connections! Always-On DDoS Mitigation for all traffic!

• Does GitHub work with ipv6 now ?

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

Want free vps ? https://microlxc.net

• I use IPv6.version.Yeti.1_45-23

Thanked by (1)host_c

• Because most ISPs here in Pakistan doesn't provide a IPv6 Address.

Hello world.

• @codelock said:
    Does GitHub work with ipv6 now ?

It's on the chart of IPv6 sinners .....

• @skorous said:

@codelock said:
    Does GitHub work with ipv6 now ?

It's on the chart of IPv6 sinners .....

I think they're the canary, once folks here can clone from GitHub on v6 we can pull the plug on v4 and move on =)