Send-only mail service GDPR compliant

Woof!

Over at the 'space i now have a very stable connection with failover and plenty of data storage opportunities. For this reason, I'd like to move my mail server as local as possible.

Of course, the issue would be sending mail as it would be pretty much impossible due to me having a residential IP, and also no way to change the reverse-dns. So, I'm looking for a provider to send mail.

These will be:

• transactional mails (for Nextcloud)
  • myself writing emails (a bunch a month?)
  • cron reports

Over ~5-6 different domains (and subdomains)

I would use MXroute, but them being based in US and no GDPR compliance is meh for me. :(
Are there any providers for this use-case, perhaps privacy-centric or even pay-as-you-go?

Comments

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Do you care about privacy or bureaucracy?

MXroute is privacy-friendly AFAIK.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:
    Do you care about privacy or bureaucracy?

MXroute is privacy-friendly AFAIK.

Yeah, but the server i got assigned is based in USA and i would rather prefer a EU host.

• LowHostingLowHosting Hosting Provider
    edited March 30

If a VPS suits your needs and your budget is at least €3/mo:
    https://lowhosting.org/clientarea/index.php?rp=/store/rkvmprotected/rkvmprotected1

For changing the rDNS please open a ticket.

LowHosting.com - LowHosting.org

• @LowHosting said:
    If a VPS suits your needs and your budget is at least €3/mo:
    https://lowhosting.org/clientarea/index.php?rp=/store/rkvmprotected/rkvmprotected1

For changing the rDNS please open a ticket.

I was actually looking for a SMTP relay provider. I don't want to get in the mess that is self hosting a mail sending server.

Thanked by (2)LowHosting Falzo
  • Brevo?

Dentistry is my passion

• dfroedfroe Services Provider

If you are looking for a hosted mail provider, you could pick a shared hosting package for example from Netcup.eu (from 2 EUR/month, some deals on Easter, Black Friday etc.) or if it fits your budget Improv.mx (10 EUR/month, 90 EUR/year) is based in France.

it-df.net: IT-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | AS39083 | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

• Grab a basic shared hosting from anyone (NameCrane have UK and EU locations, and would be my go to these days) and just ignore the hosting bits you don't want? :-)

• @ahnlak said:
    Grab a basic shared hosting from anyone (NameCrane have UK and EU locations, and would be my go to these days) and just ignore the hosting bits you don't want? :-)

Oh that's a good idea. I could just use OVH lol

Thanked by (1)Shot²
  • Would maybe your ISP allow you to use their mail server as a relay? Or do they only allow mail addresses from their own domains to be sent from there?

• ScalebladeScaleblade Hosting Provider

Amazon SES

• @wankel said:
    Would maybe your ISP allow you to use their mail server as a relay? Or do they only allow mail addresses from their own domains to be sent from there?

That could also be a good idea. I need to check with them - in that case I suppose it would only be a matter of a correct spf record :)

• edited April 4

I have seen this recommended many times https://www.smtp2go.com/
    They claim to be GDPR compliant, have datacenters in EU(and in other regions, you can select it manually) and they do offer a nice free plan.

I have not used it myself but it looks pretty nice.

• edited April 4

@foxone said:
    no GDPR compliance is meh for me. :(

What benefit is it to you that the provider is, specifically, GPDR compliant?

• edited April 9

@Joseph said:

@foxone said:

Nothing, as it gets never really checked. But it's an european law and if you want to have european customers, you and even your data processors (german: "Auftragsdatenverarbeiter") have, at least, to claim to be GDPR compliant (or better even be it...)

• @Joseph said:

@foxone said:

Less boureocracy for me when i decide to use the service to interact with EU companies.

• alentoalento Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

Several years ago I started a SMTP relay for Mail-in-a-Box users. However, you can definitely use it with any postfix server, and likely exim as well, though I won't be able to guide you.
    At present our main relay is through Germany and the fallback (which I just put in place yesterday as a matter of fact) is in Finland.
    You can read more at AnyMXRelay SMTP relay

You mention cron reports -- be sure that your server is properly configured so that the emails have a proper sender. No from: root@localhost allowed.

Recommended providers: BuyVM - MXroute - LunaNode - Forpsi - IntoVPS
    Contact me for all of your Mail-in-a-Box email hosting needs at AnyDomain. I am also a proud reseller of MXroute email.