How to verify ownership of a domain without DNS?

2»

Comments

• @Joseph said:
    At one of the domains I have the registry won't add any DNS servers until the DNS servers are first setup to recognize the domain. But both HE.net and Cloudflare won't activate the DNS for a domain until it sees the domain is pointing to their DNS servers.

How do I get around this catch-22?

Use another registrar.

• @rcy026 said:

@Joseph said:
    At one of the domains I have the registry won't add any DNS servers until the DNS servers are first setup to recognize the domain. But both HE.net and Cloudflare won't activate the DNS for a domain until it sees the domain is pointing to their DNS servers.

Use another registrar.

The issue is with the registry itself, not the registrar.

• @Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

@Joseph said:

Use another registrar.

What registry is that?
    But basically, the way you describe it you either have to use another registry or another DNS provider. I doubt you can make a registry change it's policies and I am pretty sure Cloudflare will not change theirs, so one of them has to go.

• @rcy026 said:

@Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

@Joseph said:

Use another registrar.

What registry is that?

.us TLD

But basically, the way you describe it you either have to use another registry or another DNS provider. I doubt you can make a registry change it's policies and I am pretty sure Cloudflare will not change theirs, so one of them has to go.

I need to use this domain. Which free DNS provider allows you to add the domain and make it active on DNS prior to the registry pointing the DNS records to them?

• @Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

@Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

@Joseph said:

Use another registrar.

What registry is that?

.us TLD

Nope. I just tried registering a .us with namecheap and pointed it to my DNS servers that have no records at all of that domain. Worked fine, nothing complained, and whois verified that the domain does in fact point to my nameservers.
    If you can not do it it must be your registrar, it is not the registry.

I need to use this domain. Which free DNS provider allows you to add the domain and make it active on DNS prior to the registry pointing the DNS records to them?

HE.net does. I just tested with a domain that is not pointing at their nameservers and I did get a big red warning about it, but it still allowed me to add the domain.

Have you actually tried any of these things that you say are impossible, or are you just guessing?