IPv6.rs service discussion and feedback

SystemSystem Administrator
edited May 17 in Reviews
This discussion was created from comments split from: [Service] Self Host with IPv6.rs | 5 Endpoints | Zero Config Server Appliances | Open Source.

Per provider's request, I've moved all the discussion regarding the service in a separate thread.

Relja WaxOnWaxOff Novović

Comments

• @chadsix said: Our monthly plan is $10/month and includes everything including unlimited traffic, 5 endpoint IPv6rs IPv6 IPs, support, port forwarding (easy interface) and a free reverse IPv4 proxy.

Seems very pricey for just a tunnel with a static IPv6 subnet.

Why wouldn't I get a VPS for that money (to either tunnel via the VPS or just host the stuff on the VPS)?

Thanked by (3)bikegremlin terrorgen sh97
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@cmeerw said:

@chadsix said: Our monthly plan is $10/month and includes everything including unlimited traffic, 5 endpoint IPv6rs IPv6 IPs, support, port forwarding (easy interface) and a free reverse IPv4 proxy.

Why wouldn't I get a VPS for that money (to either tunnel via the VPS or just host the stuff on the VPS)?

That's a really good, reasonable, question that I too am curious about.

Thanked by (1)terrorgen

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

@cmeerw said:

@chadsix said: Our monthly plan is $10/month and includes everything including unlimited traffic, 5 endpoint IPv6rs IPv6 IPs, support, port forwarding (easy interface) and a free reverse IPv4 proxy.

That's a really good, reasonable, question that I too am curious about.

Given LES/LET pricing, no.
    I guess the IPv4 is shared too.

Unlimited Traffic is probably also not true.
    Blasting 1Gbit on WG is a) causing high CPU load and b) you will get booted for burning a few TB's pretty sure.

Any 1-2$/m VPS will do better than that, and with IPv6 + NAT you can get one for just 3$/y and create unlimited tunnels.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • chadsixchadsix Services Provider

This service is for people who are unable to self-setup their IPv6 or are behind NAT, and additionally would like help setting up their servers. As for hosting on a VPS, the host has access to your data.

We also made Cloud Seeder, the open source automatic management and deployment system https://github.com/ipv6rslimited/cloudseeder

With this, you know exactly what's running on your machine and, since it's your own machine you have full control.

Start self hosting with an external IP with IPv6rs.
    The only thing between your host and your data is trust. Trust is not security.

• Seems to me that you're preaching to the wrong crowd here.
    The vocally active here are savvy (and cheap) enough to find a $3/yr VPS and set something up themselves.
    But I might be wrong. There might be someone here that'll think this is worth their dollahs.

Thanked by (3)sh97 bikegremlin nohavps

The all seeing eye sees everything...

edited May 16

I agree, there are definitely people who will think it's worth it. I wouldn't bet on a $1-3 dollar VPS being as performant as our services. If you think a $1-3 VPS isn't being oversold, you might be surprised in the future.

There's also the benefit of utilizing services from a team of developers, who actually support the open source software systems that are utilized (or even built ourselves) versus some services where someone barely manages to install a third-party system like whmcs and the like.

• @chadsix said: I agree, there are definitely people who will think it's worth it.

Here?

@chadsix said: I wouldn't bet on a $1-3 dollar VPS being as performant as our services. If you think a $1-3 VPS isn't being oversold, you might be surprised in the future.

How fast is your tunnel? I have a VPS for 1€/month with a dedicated IPv4 where I can easily reach 2 Gbit/s.
    And for your $10/month I could simply buy a big VPS with 10 Gbit/s.

edited May 16

I think there are definitely people here who will think it's worth it, yes. Having control of your own data and a hands free setup of numerous appliances by a completely open source software platform is useful since it saves a lot of time. Having the tunnel setup for you by actual experts brings peace of mind, and our users appreciate the services we provide, from the service itself to our knowledgable support.

If you have the ability to set it up yourself, and you want to spend the effort to do so, you absolutely should!

That being said, to think a 1 Euro/month VPS isn't being oversold, again, is laughable at best.

This is trolling at the maximum, and I give you kudos for that atleast, but let's not derail this offer thread with FUD guys as it is against the spirit of LES!

• @chadsix said:
    That being said, to think a 1 Euro/month VPS isn't being oversold, again, is laughable at best.

Of course it's oversold, I never said it isn't, but for a reverse proxy that's rather irrelevant as long as it's still usable.

edited May 16

So again, unless you're the first few VMs on the host machine, you're not going to get the same performance as with IPv6rs.

For us, the only thing we provide (at the end of the day) is bandwidth/performance and our open source software suite. 99% of hosting providers don't develop software for their customers.

We are a very different business.

We focus on delivering these things to the best of our ability. Of course, for some who know how to set this up themselves, it could mean less customers for us - but we want to make sure our brand is known for quality for the next several decades.

We are a completely mission focused company - to decentralize the internet and bring data sovereignty back to the people's hands.

• @chadsix said: is bandwidth

Then again: How much bandwidth do you support / is usable?

You can burst up to a maximum of 1 Gbps, or what your hardware/line can handle.

Thanked by (2)lukast__ bikegremlin

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Windscribe charges me $3 per month for a static IPv4 and port forwarding.
    Yes, I must trust them for not storing any customer data - like with most VPN services.
    Technically, they could.

Similar goes four configuring it on a VPS - the provider could see all the data as far as I know.

Does your service help one overcome those risks (and, if yes, how)?

Also, I'm not sure it's wise to host stuff at home, on a home computer.
    Servers in server rooms seem like a better option in terms of stability, uptime and even security.
    What am I missing?

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• edited May 17

Where are "outbound" servers located?
    I mean, who do I get IPv6 and IPv4 from and who provides transit for it.

@chadsix said: No more deplatforming
    No more censorship

Insanely difficult to do with how the Internet is structured. In recent years we have seen Tier 1 ISP censorship, there is no "Internet" If you cannot access Tier 1's.

@bikegremlin said:
    Windscribe charges me $3 per month for a static IPv4 and port forwarding.
    Yes, I must trust them for not storing any customer data - like with most VPN services.
    Technically, they could.

That's a great service. For us, we provide 5 endpoints, not just 1, (more if you know how to setup name based hosting yourself), accessible over IPv6 by IP and name and IPv4 by name. We're also highly opinionated with our use of IPv6 - this isn't just a business for us. We want to decentralize the internet, and IPv6 affords us all this ability.

Similar goes four configuring it on a VPS - the provider could see all the data as far as I know.

Does your service help one overcome those risks (and, if yes, how)?

In terms of a VPS, this definitely overcomes the risks since a VPS is generally a virtual machine running on a host system which has unadulterated and full access to your RAM, harddrives, and so forth. Some work is being done to overcome this issue, but it's not there yet, so a VPS user inherently must rely on trusting their host. They cannot control this access thru code as of now.

Also, I'm not sure it's wise to host stuff at home, on a home computer.
    Servers in server rooms seem like a better option in terms of stability, uptime and even security.
    What am I missing?

I think there are different use cases and opsec strategies for different people. However, for personal stuff, the security of having your data on your own hardware in your own home is irreplaceable. That said, there are pros and cons as it relates to the 3 comments regarding stability, uptime and security:

• Stability: Datacenters will likely be more stable, but if you have a multihomed connection (e.g., cable + 4g) you will rid yourself of a single POF.
    • Uptime: Again, this would be the same as it relates to the stability issue. This can be further mitigated if you have a battery on your machine (e.g., laptop or UPS)
    • Security: This is debatable as there are benefits to being in an iron-clad, military secured datacenter, but there's also benefits to having your machine in your own home where no prying eyes can exfiltrate your data or give it up to some random, unlawful, request.

Insanely difficult to do with how the Internet is structured. In recent years we have seen Tier 1 ISP censorship, there is no "Internet" If you cannot access Tier 1's.

There are limits as it relates to law!

• @chadsix said: There are limits as it relates to law!

I'm talking about legal websites that got deplatformed by Tier 1's, obviously I wouldn't be talking about illegal ones.
    Law means little to nothing to private politically-motivated companies.

We will fight tooth and nail to the limits of the extent of the law as we are a mission oriented company.

• edited May 17

@chadsix said:
    We will fight tooth and nail to the limits of the extent of the law as we are a mission oriented company.

Where are your servers located?

I only managed to find servers on Linode and GTHost.
    Do you think they are resistant to deplatforming efforts?

While GTHost could try to fight for example Cogent, which they use for transit on your(i assume) locations, they also could get their entire network nullrouted like they threatened in the past. It wouldn't make sense from business standpoint for either side , but maybe they are willing to fight for free speech.

Linode, owned by Akamai, has no chance with resisting "abuse" reports alone, they will set you flying as soon as any of the sites you host is controversial.

All of this "bypasses" court systems, and can be weaponized by any individual, not even the Government.
    Only thing needed is outcry big enough.

Here is one example documented: https://madattheinternet.substack.com/p/online-censorships-institutional

Of course there are no guarantees if the hosting provider/bandwidth provider/datacenter are unable to continue amidst a certain social/political climate, but we can assure you we will put forth the best efforts we can to not only continue to provide service to all of our users, but also find the right partners to ensure that we can meet these standards.

We're hardline free speech and decentralization for the sake of freedom/free speech, so you can bet we'll do everything we can in this vein. This is why we got into this business.