We want to hear you - New Storage Service

cserverscservers Hosting Provider
edited May 31 in General

Hello everyone,

We are thinking of deploying a new storage service under our Focus lineup (non-core services).

This would be a somewhat limited run (limited capacity, some TB) for now, but it would be a run at a great price.

However, the uptime record of the possible upstream provider is not C-Servers brilliant, and falls very much short of our 99.95% uptime guarantee that we have for the VPSes, with an estimate of 87-95% so far.

The price would be very low nonetheless, much lower than usual, and Internet speed would be fast.

Would you consider purchasing such a service? Vote, and we'll hear you.

Comments

• What would be the specs and pricing like?

• cserverscservers Hosting Provider
    edited May 31

@dosai said:
    What would be the specs and pricing like?

Something in the pages of having 100/250/500/1000GB tiers and allowing several payment periods (quarterly on the 1st or two lowest due to gateway fees).

We're looking at, for example, 250GB for 2,29USD/quarter for the 3USD/TB tier. Just to give you an idea.

Edited now with the poll.

• 87% is so bad that your brand would be tarnished by associating yourself with that.

Thanked by (2)cservers runbiscuit
  • edited May 31

@cservers said:
    We are thinking of deploying a new storage service

Could you please clarify what exactly do you mean by "service" here?

Storage VPS, FTP space, WebDAV, [some]cloud, etc.?

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

did not find oprion for $2/TB

Thanked by (1)vish

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Pricing would need to be quite a bit lower than this in order to make it attractive.

87% uptime can be one of four ways imo, either 87% uptime per hour, ie 8 minutes/hour downtime, 87% per week, 87% per month, or 87% downtime per year, ie 47 days/year downtime.

If those 47 days happen in-sequence, then the vps will be unreachable for the entire duration of [this month] and half of [next month], which would render it [fucking unusable].

If it's 8 minutes/hour, ie some blips throughout the day, it will interrupt transfer of larger files. At 100mbit/s, with 1 minute downtime spikes, there would be 6.5 minutes of uptime between blips, allowing transfer of 4.8gbyte files. Anything larger will get interrupted by network issues.

With 87% of uptime per month, it would mean 4 days of downtime per month. Highly annoying.

Finally, at 87% per week, this would mean almost a day of downtime per week. If this day is randomized, the vps would be utterly useless. If it's pre-planned (down every wednesday my dudes), it could be worked around. This would possibly be the best option, if plannable.

Thanked by (3)sh97 cservers skorous

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.

• cserverscservers Hosting Provider

Okay, final results for now:

Yes, up to 4 USD - 0% ( =) )
    Yes, up to 3 USD - 57.14% (falling from 72%)
    No, uptime is everything - 42.86% (rising from 28%)

Naturally, at C-Servers, we work for 100% customer satisfaction, not 57.14% or any different %. This means that we have to give the best solutions, but also the most effective ones - for everyone. :)

Given that this is even a non-core service, it's naturally not worth it jeopardizing any reputation to give a competitively-priced service, and also - we think we've managed to find an alternative solution with a much better uptime that may even allow us better pricing. Hence why we're closing this poll, as well.

Thank you everyone for your feedbacks!

• You got me interested. Now I can't wait to see the offers.

Thanked by (1)cservers

How are you... online?

• I'd be interested in a cheap (as in dirt⁹⁹, even lower than LE* dirt) storage even with shit uptime; nodes dipping in and out on random occasions without prior notice should be no problem (as long as they come back once in a while) since my setup is replicated.

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

What upstream has that uptime?

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• edited May 31

@Advin said:
    What upstream has that uptime?

@Calin?
    Its too high for C1V.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited May 31

@cservers said:
    Okay, final results for now:

Yes, up to 4 USD - 0% ( =) )
    Yes, up to 3 USD - 57.14% (falling from 72%)
    No, uptime is everything - 42.86% (rising from 28%)

There is a very active discussion on “uptime” by another provider here who uses AI technology…sufficient to say, even if you offer for free, even an hour of downtime will result in bitch and moan threads. Including comments from many who have voted for price instead of uptime.

Best regards

Thanked by (1)cservers

Squats are the new Push-ups

• Not a bad idea. But as a comparison, Hetzner has a 5TB storage box with unlimited BW for 10.90 per month, or 2.19 per TB.

Thanked by (1)cservers
  • @thagoat said: unlimited BW

Yeah, about that...
    Good luck pulling data from them, you will be lucky to get anywhere close "normal" speed. Its still an incredible value for money, but I wouldn't rely on it for fast restore.

• @cybertech said:
    did not find oprion for $2/TB

There should be also an option for $1/TB.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • edited June 6

@treesmokah said:

@thagoat said: unlimited BW

Yeah, about that...

I've been using that service for about 3 years now, also used it for about a year maybe 5 years back. Zero issues bandwidth speed or otherwise. Maybe they slid a little in their server department (Netcup FTW) but their storage boxes can't be beat.

• AuroraZeroAuroraZero Retired

1 Yeti Buck

Thanked by (1)cservers

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @thagoat said:

@treesmokah said:

@thagoat said: unlimited BW

Yeah, about that...

I've been using that service for about 3 years now, also used it for about a year maybe 5 years back. Zero issues bandwidth speed or otherwise. Maybe they slid a little in their server department (Netcup FTW) but their storage boxes can't be beat.

Last time @jarland server died and he was pulling backups from it, it wasn't so fast from what I remember.
    I'm happy it works great for you though.

Thanked by (2)ialexpw thagoat