How do I avoid scammy hosts?

2»

Comments

• edited June 27

@SocksAreComfortable said:
    Effective immediately, all services that have been priced at $30 or below per year will no longer be active unless a new invoice of $100 is paid

According to their company info (14917354), that is approximately 80x times more than nominal share capital of NordicVM LTD:
    NordicVM LTD: company 14917354, capital

Best regards,
    The NordicVM Team

Quite likely, "the team" of Nordic VM is just its director / CEO from RomaniaRaul Gabriel Ghita :
    Raul Gabriel Ghita - Nordic VM director / CEO from Romania

Thanked by (1)SocksAreComfortable
  • Hunedoara? That's @Calin's place.

Thanked by (1)Calin
  • rootroot OG
    edited June 27

@sh97 said:
    Hunedoara? That's @Calin's place.

Maybe @Calin could drop a visit and negotiate to buy that company, to save the customers. #LowEndRescue

Thanked by (4)yoursunny sh97 Calin KenTech

How are you... online?

• @DataRecovery said:

Effective immediately, all services that have been priced at $30 or below per year will no longer be active unless a new invoice of $100 is paid

According to their company info (14917354), that is approximately 80x times more than nominal share capital of NordicVM LTD:

To be fair, that's a pretty normal arrangement (I think MyCo's "share capital" is a princely £4)

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Effective immediately, all services that have been priced at $30 or below per year will no longer be active unless a new invoice of $100 is paid.

Why does this feel like it should be presented like this:

• @crunchbits said:
    [a bunch of useful things]

Really appreciate you weighing in on this. You're one of the hosts I've had the longest and have been the most reliable, so glad to see your input. Definitely agree with a lot of what you said, and it seems to corroborate a lot of other people's advice, too. Especially the thing about a host that's willing to say no sometimes, showing how someone is more grounded in reality than just trying to make a quick buck.

Thanked by (1)crunchbits
  • @DataRecovery said:

NordicVM LTD: company 14917354, capital

Best regards,
    The NordicVM Team

Quite likely, "the team" of Nordic VM is just its director / CEO from RomaniaRaul Gabriel Ghita :
    Raul Gabriel Ghita - Nordic VM director / CEO from Romania

The location was one of the first red flags I had with this provider. The original post that I found them on (somewhere on OGF, forget where) did not specify where the service was, but hey, the name of their service implies servers somewhere in, well, Nordic regions, and that worked with what I was looking for. But as you showed, the business listings all link to Romania. The servers, when I first got them, turned out to be located in the UK. All great locations and all, but...inconsistencies abounded.

• @crunchbits I didn't not do nuffins!!!!

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Are you in the Node?

• CalinCalin Hosting Provider
    Thanked by (1)treesmokah
  • There are a few things you can verify to have a better idea of the host:

• is their website just a template?
    • how long have they been in business?
    • are their reviews good?
    • do they have own hardware or just reselling? (important)
  • @Cloudblast said:
    There are a few things you can verify to have a better idea of the host:

• is their website just a template?

Yes, it's Convoy template with some modifications.
    Many footer links are going to the same page, which means the website isn't fully developed.

• how long have they been in business?

357 days

• are their reviews good?

Yes among the 3 reviews.

• do they have own hardware or just reselling? (important)

Hardware unknown, but IPv4s are rented.

HostBrr aff best VPS; VirmAche aff worst VPS.
    Unable to push-up due to shoulder injury 😣

• Research the host, read reviews, and use secure payment methods.

• edited July 3

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/14917354
    Incorporated on
    6 June 2023

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/14630388
    Incorporated on
    1 February 2023

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/24/start-ups-across-uk-going-bust-need-careful-management-economy/

"60 per cent of those new businesses will go-under within three years, and 20 per cent will close their doors within just 12 months"

Go with providers with a track record. quite frankly the cost diffrence between a nobody and many highly reputable hosts arent that costly. my services with two hosts with 10 years of operation (GreenCloud, Cloudvider) are £2-4 more per year and resource management is far better than hostaris.

if you really want to use a new host avoid prepayment, if you must avoid paypal, your protection is actually worse than debit when the service is >180 days. but credit card would be best in this case.