Crunchbits 2nd Amendment Anniversary Review

About a year ago picked up an amazingly deal - LES Exclusive 3GB GENTLEMAN'S YEARLY VPS which was $11.69 a year for 3GB RAM, 25GB SSD, and 2 Xeon cores. Located in Spokane WA, USA. Was advertised to be on older hardware and it's not a powerhouse, but don't need much power... The VPS has been close to flawless and works perfectly for my needs which is to host a low traffic website(s) and for daily backup space for my other VPSs. According to Hetrix it had the highest uptime of my 3 current hosts (VirMach, LaunchVPS, and Crunchy) until a few weeks ago when they had some brief network issues- now it's down to a paltry 99.9488% uptime with Virmach's Chicago VPS taking the lead with an amazing 99.9821% uptime.

Control panel: Crunchbits has my favorite client area and user control panel/Dashboard. It's uncluttered, fast, easy to use and understand, and always works smoothly. A nice feature is that when you've started a task it shows you how much time is remaining until completion. When you use the backup feature (one free backup is included with deal) you also get an email telling you when it has finished.

Support: Only had to contact support once because I mistakenly generated an invoice for a new service, asked for it to be canceled and it was done within a few hours.

Operating Systems: Using Debian 11 and haven't had to resinstall or had any issues, don't recall if I used a template or what to install but it was trouble free. I see a lot of new OS options have been added to the control panel too.

Network: One IPV4. IPv6 included and very easy to add additional addresses in the control panel.

Overview: For me Crunchbits is the most reliable and professional option here in the LowEnd VPS space. As I understand it while they specialize in high end GPU servers they will provide basically the same level of service and support for users who get one of their black friday or other inexpensive options. That's exactly what you want from a Low End provider and suspect it's very difficult to deliver over a long period of time and not go out of business. Another thing in the plus column is that they are quite active in the Low End forums and go out of their way to come up with entertaining posts, giveaways, and Black Friday deals. Free hardware giveaways, win a VPS contests, occasional loss leader deals, humorous and insightful posts, and always maintaining professional discourse. Highly recommended.

Yep, the "2nd Amendment" title was just click bait.

Obligatory Masonic YABS:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
#                     v2024-06-09                    #
# https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Sun 30 Jun 2024 11:48:46 AM EDT

Basic System Information:
---------------------------------
Uptime     : 38 days, 11 hours, 43 minutes
Processor  : Intel Core Processor (Broadwell)
CPU cores  : 2 @ 2194.916 MHz
AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
RAM        : 2.8 GiB
Swap       : 0.0 KiB
Disk       : 25.0 GiB
Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Kernel     : 5.10.0-29-amd64
VM Type    : KVM
IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ✔ Online

IPv6 Network Information:
ISP        : Redoubt Networks
ASN        : AS400304 Redoubt Networks
Host       : Redoubt Networks
Location   : Liberty Lake, Washington (WA)
Country    : United States

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/sda3):
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 162.74 MB/s  (40.6k) | 999.83 MB/s  (15.6k)
Write      | 163.17 MB/s  (40.7k) | 1.00 GB/s    (15.7k)
Total      | 325.92 MB/s  (81.4k) | 2.00 GB/s    (31.3k)
           |                      |
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
Read       | 1.37 GB/s     (2.6k) | 1.44 GB/s     (1.4k)
Write      | 1.44 GB/s     (2.8k) | 1.53 GB/s     (1.5k)
Total      | 2.82 GB/s     (5.5k) | 2.97 GB/s     (2.9k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed                                   | Ping
-----           | -----                     | ----            | ----                                         | ----
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 846 Mbits/sec   | 406 Mbits/sec                                | 129 ms
Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (100G)      | 967 Mbits/sec   | 649 Mbits/sec                                | --
Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 378 Mbits/sec   | 371 Mbits/sec                                | 260 ms
Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 705 Mbits/sec   | 425 Mbits/sec                                | 250 ms
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 1.05 Gbits/sec  | busy                                         | 40.5 ms
Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 977 Mbits/sec   | busy                                         | 93.8 ms
Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 196 Mbits/sec   | 420 Mbits/sec                                | 173 ms

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed                                   | Ping
-----           | -----                     | ----            | ----                                         | ----
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 981 Mbits/sec   | 603 Mbits/sec                                | 128 ms
Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (100G)      | busy            | busy                                         | --
Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | busy            | 274 Mbits/sec   | --
Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 644 Mbits/sec   | 474 Mbits/sec   | 249 ms
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 1.04 Gbits/sec  | 798 Mbits/sec   | 40.5 ms
Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 952 Mbits/sec   | 594 Mbits/sec   | 93.9 ms
Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 561 Mbits/sec   | 305 Mbits/sec   | 170 ms

Comments

• Nice review

• Geekbench?

Thanked by (2)JDMcPea Not_Oles

cpu_logger | Recommended providers: Layer7, dataforest (Avoro/PHP-Friends)

• I'm glad you're satisfied with the VPS. Let's hope it to continue for as long as possible.
    I've got a couple of NAT VPS from Web Horizon during Black Friday in 2021, which are stable as well. And Abdullah is very kind.

Recently I was thinking about migrating some service like note and VPN to docker on Azure or something. Because it would be more stable and cheaper.

Thanked by (3)JDMcPea Not_Oles nightcat

MicroLXC is lovable. Uptime of C1V

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

I don't think it's the right time for a gif of Dr D. :#

• @MikeA said:

He just was committed to his character, Dr Disrespected the marriage, age of consent, and even biology.

Thanked by (3)MikeA JDMcPea Not_Oles
  • sweatbarsweatbar Hosting Provider

Hope they’ll develop an API

Thanked by (2)JDMcPea Not_Oles

PeekaBoo at https://handyhost.net
    (Not affiliated with the Russian Handyhost Website in any way.)

• @lukast__ said:
    Geekbench?

Not sure why but when I ran YABS Geekbench didn't complete after about 15 minutes and at some point got disconnected from SSH.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

+1 for @crunchbits! Crunchy continues running great! <3

root@crunchy:~# curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2024-06-09                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Sun Jun 30 09:56:33 PM UTC 2024

Basic System Information:
    Uptime     : 70 days, 4 hours, 42 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 v5 @ 3.50GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 3500.000 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 62.6 GiB
    Swap       : 4.0 GiB
    Disk       : 3.7 TiB
    Distro     : Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
    Kernel     : 5.15.0-105-generic
    VM Type    : NONE
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ✔ Online

IPv6 Network Information:
    ISP        : Redoubt Networks
    ASN        : AS400304 Redoubt Networks
    Host       : Redoubt Networks
    Location   : Liberty Lake, Washington (WA)
    Country    : United States

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/mapper/vg0-root):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 223.95 MB/s  (55.9k) | 181.89 MB/s   (2.8k)
    Write      | 224.54 MB/s  (56.1k) | 182.85 MB/s   (2.8k)
    Total      | 448.49 MB/s (112.1k) | 364.75 MB/s   (5.6k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 296.45 MB/s    (579) | 370.69 MB/s    (362)
    Write      | 312.20 MB/s    (609) | 395.38 MB/s    (386)
    Total      | 608.66 MB/s   (1.1k) | 766.08 MB/s    (748)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 789 Mbits/sec   | 129 Mbits/sec   | 129 ms         
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (100G)      | 793 Mbits/sec   | 582 Mbits/sec   | --             
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 720 Mbits/sec   | 179 Mbits/sec   | 245 ms         
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 692 Mbits/sec   | 550 Mbits/sec   | 293 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 859 Mbits/sec   | 544 Mbits/sec   | 40.3 ms        
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 836 Mbits/sec   | 586 Mbits/sec   | 86.7 ms        
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 693 Mbits/sec   | 162 Mbits/sec   | 170 ms         

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 782 Mbits/sec   | 164 Mbits/sec   | 129 ms         
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (100G)      | busy            | busy            | --             
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 494 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 244 ms         
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | busy            | 403 Mbits/sec   | 293 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 855 Mbits/sec   | 576 Mbits/sec   | 40.2 ms        
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 813 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 86.6 ms        
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 88.0 Mbits/sec  | 127 Mbits/sec   | 170 ms         

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 1014                          
    Multi Core      | 3487                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/6735009

YABS completed in 15 min 22 sec
    root@crunchy:~# 

Thanked by (2)bliss crunchbits

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• @MikeA said:

I was about to feel relieved. Thought it was a @FrankZ sighting.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • AuroraZeroAuroraZero Moderator

@skorous said:

@MikeA said:

I was about to feel relieved. Thought it was a @FrankZ sighting.

Still in my basement safe and sound!

Thanked by (2)skorous Not_Oles

URL Shortener | YetiNode | CryptidSecurity | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | LaunchVPS | Are you in the Node?

@skorous said: a @FrankZ sighting.

@AuroraZero said: Still in my basement safe and sound!

I miss @FrankZ!

Thanked by (2)crunchbits JDMcPea

@Not_Oles said:

@skorous said: a @FrankZ sighting.

@AuroraZero said: Still in my basement safe and sound!

I miss @FrankZ!

Pay his ransom then!!!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

URL Shortener | YetiNode | CryptidSecurity | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | LaunchVPS | Are you in the Node?

Do you accept yeticoin?

@Not_Oles said:
    Do you accept yeticoin?

Ofc I accept YetiCoin!!!!

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles terrorgen

• @JDMcPea said:

Control panel: Crunchbits has my favorite client area and user control panel/Dashboard. It's uncluttered, fast, easy to use and understand, and always works smoothly. A nice feature is that when you've started a task it shows you how much time is remaining until completion. When you use the backup feature (one free backup is included with deal) you also get an email telling you when it has finished.

could you post naugthy pics of the control panel? for scientific purposes

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• Crunchers love crunchy Crunchbits!

Thanked by (1)crunchbits
  • If anybody finds their 11.69 LES Exclusive 3GB crunchy to be softy now after a year, they can transfer it to me.
    I missed it last year on both the forums.

• +1 for crunchboi. Eric is hot.

Thanked by (1)crunchbits

@dosai said:
    +1 for crunchboi. Eric is hot.

pics or it didn't happen!!

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles vyas

• edited July 2

great service @crunchbits
    I am quite happy after I left vir*h in these days.

Thanked by (1)crunchbits
  • +1 for the service.

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles crunchbits

KangServer - VPS Benchmark
    Android | Windows 11 | Ubuntu 22.04 | XShell

• rootroot OG
    edited July 2

Thank you @crunchbits - Congratulations for the outstanding and awesome service provided!

Thanked by (1)crunchbits
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Hosting Provider

@JDMcPea said:

Thank you for the detailed review :) Very useful feedback and helpful to make sure the shortcomings we think we see line up with client experiences. Too many times it's very easy to get caught trying to iterate on something that just isn't really needed while being blind to a legitimate need.

Hoping to have significantly improved fiber diversity+capacity here any day now. Two very big additions were signed in late April/early May as we've had a few issues with one of the primary circuits to Seattle (where the bulk of our traffic now transits) and our backup circuits simply don't have the capacity to handle overflow with the size of our network compared to just 6 months ago. This resulted in 20%+ packet loss when we failed over to circuits 2 and 3 as they are simply just not capable of pushing the type of bandwidth small VPS/Dedi providers like us do in current year. Also somewhat of a tangent: it is kind of funny comparing how many of the bare infra providers act somewhat incredulous when you are asking for port sizes >10G and/or ability to tie a few together if your name doesn't start with Microsoft or Amazon while simultaneously seeing the creep of $1-2/mo VPSes getting 10G ports :#

Also interesting is the usage patterns of GPU and "white-glove" dedicated server stuff using (comparatively) no data despite paying significantly higher rates while the LE-world crunches bits like no other per dollar spent.

For data lovers:

Note: Above is only one site / not a full history (just since migrating stuff to Libre and having all public-facing interfaces monitored)

Thanked by (2)vyas JDMcPea