he.net domain gone from nameservers

What's happening here?

$ host -t ns he.net
Host he.net not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

No longer delegated from .net nameservers.

Thanked by (2)mikewazar Not_Oles
Tagged:

Comments

• amazing news

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • he.net domain gone

Like A Hurricane - Chris Hillman

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited July 4

WHOIS he.net

Domain Name: HE.NET
    Registry Domain ID: 486609_DOMAIN_NET-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
    Registrar URL: http://networksolutions.com
    Updated Date: 2024-07-04T15:07:09Z
    Creation Date: 1995-07-31T04:00:00Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2033-07-30T04:00:00Z
    Registrar: Network Solutions, LLC
    Registrar IANA ID: 2
    Reseller:
    Domain Status: clientHold https://icann.org/epp#clientHold
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited

clientHold

This status code tells your domain's registry to not activate your domain in the DNS and as a consequence, it will not resolve. It is an uncommon status that is usually enacted during legal disputes, non-payment, or when your domain is subject to deletion.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

HostBrr aff best VPS; VirmAche aff worst VPS.
    Unable to push-up due to shoulder injury 😣

• He had it coming?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • owned. Fuck around and find out, outplayed in their own game.
    https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2024-July/225901.html

Network Solutions has decided to put our domain name on Client Hold due to
    a single phishing complaint about a web page, which happens to just be a
    page of information about another domain from bgp.he.net. Network Solutions
    has been contacted, and refuses to handle this issue in ANY expedited
    manner. Executives from Hurricane have been calling and emailing Network
    Solutions for HOURS trying to have this addressed. If anyone has an
    escalation contact at Network Solutions, please email it to me at
    redhead at lightning.net, or rfishler at he.net. Thanks.

Reid Fishler
    Sr Director
    Hurricane Electric

Thanked by (3)root someTom adly
  • skhronskhron Hosting Provider

@treesmokah said: outplayed in their own game

What do you mean? Is it something KF related?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited July 4

@skhron said:

@treesmokah said: outplayed in their own game

What do you mean? Is it something KF related?

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/10/internet-not-facebook-why-infrastructure-providers-should-stay-out-content
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2023/08/isps-should-not-police-online-speech-no-matter-how-awful-it
    Many such cases. I hope they enjoy 4th of July and maybe read the constitution.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@treesmokah said: Many such cases

Am I blind or the entire article is about that attitude in general, and the only "real-life" case is KF?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @skhron said:

@treesmokah said: Many such cases

Am I blind or the entire article is about that attitude in general, and the only "real-life" case is KF?

KF is for sure not the only one who had to face de-peering etc.
    These articles don't mention other cases.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
    edited July 4

@treesmokah said: KF is for sure not the only one who had to face de-peering etc.
    These articles don't mention other cases.

I would like to know more about HE and their depeering cases not related to KF, if you would find them feel free to reach me via DM here or using email serhii.timofieiev at skhron.com.ua

Thanked by (2)treesmokah Not_Oles
  • Just as I'm about to move the authoritative nameserver for an internal domain, HE.NET is no longer in clientHold status.
    All is good now, I hope?

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint Not_Oles

HostBrr aff best VPS; VirmAche aff worst VPS.
    Unable to push-up due to shoulder injury 😣

• @yoursunny said:
    Just as I'm about to move the authoritative nameserver for an internal domain, HE.NET is no longer in clientHold status.
    All is good now, I hope?

Should be, yeah.

They were out for about 4 hours I heard.

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles Janevski
  • Time to transfer out the domain

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles Janevski
  • Their IANA ID is literally 2.

You'd think they would know what they are doing by now.

Thanked by (3)Not_Oles whoami someTom
  • AuroraZeroAuroraZero Moderator

@LowEnd said: You'd think they would know what they are doing by now.

One might think that of the U.S. DOD as well, but apparently they don't!

Thanked by (1)Otus9051

URL Shortener | YetiNode | CryptidSecurity | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | LaunchVPS | Are you in the Node?

• bdlbdl OG

hehe

• NameCraneNameCrane Hosting Provider

Looks like they were able to get ahold of someone and get it unsuspended https://community.nanog.org/t/he-net-problem/59634/15

🏗️ NameCrane - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated Hosting / cPanel + DirectAdmin / Ryzen + NVMe + 10Gbps / Free Blesta!
    🇺🇸🇬🇧🇱🇺🇸🇬 Now in Singapore 👉 Shared Hosting from $8/yr 🏆 $2/mo Reseller Hosting

• I really like he.net, but it does bother me that they are not more resilient.
    I mean, my personal domains that are absolutely non-critical have 6 authoritative servers under 3 different tld's. It costs absolute peanuts and is so easy to setup.

• @LowEnd said:
    Their IANA ID is literally 2.

You'd think they would know what they are doing by now.

Network Solutions is the original, monopoly, registrar.

• @rcy026 said:
    I really like he.net, but it does bother me that they are not more resilient.
    I mean, my personal domains that are absolutely non-critical have 6 authoritative servers under 3 different tld's. It costs absolute peanuts and is so easy to setup.

How would you suggest HE be more resilient?

• edited July 5

[deleted]

• NyrNyr OG

@Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

Providing NS records under different registries is becoming an industry standard. But it really wasn't when they started, plus the service is provided at no cost for everyone, so it is difficult to complain.

• @Nyr said:

@Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

Providing NS records under different registries is becoming an industry standard. But it really wasn't when they started, plus the service is provided at no cost for everyone, so it is difficult to complain.

He.net also owns lightning.net domain:
    lightning.net: he.net domain
    It uses its subdomains as nameservers and registered with other registrar.

However I don't think there's any way for the clients to use it.

• @DataRecovery said:

@Nyr said:

@Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

Where does HE use the lightning.net domain for NS?

• @Joseph said:

@DataRecovery said:

@Nyr said:

@Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

Whois screenshot above −> second and third rows from the bottom −> Name Server

• @DataRecovery said:

@Joseph said:

@DataRecovery said:

@Nyr said:

@Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

Whois screenshot above −> second and third rows from the bottom −> Name Server

I meant where does HE use the lightning.net NS, other than on the lightning.net domain itself.

• @Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

I literally explained it in the post you quoted.

• @rcy026 said:

@Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

I've read that additional authoritative NS adds some latency. I'm not certain of the veracity of that claim.

• @Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

@Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

I've read that additional authoritative NS adds some latency. I'm not certain of the veracity of that claim.

Why are you not certain?

dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers • Need a free NAT LXC? -> https://microlxc.net/

• @Brueggus said:

@Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

@Joseph said:

@rcy026 said:

Why are you not certain?

I'm not up to speed with the technical aspects regarding latency. Does it, in fact, introduce additional latency?