Do you have a dedicated server for personal usage?

2»

Comments

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited June 12

A long time ago, I think I had some 3950X 128GB configuration in London that I ran Proxmox on as my personal server. I just used it for some Windows VMs and to host some personal project, it was more of a learning environment than anything since I would use it to experiment with virtualization.

Then I moved over to some i7-6700 64GB server with ReliableSite (?) since it was a lot cheaper. I think I then moved to a colocated server with a Dual X5570 that I had leftover from a project along with some VMs at other hosts. I think I also used a Ryzen 3600 for a while at Hop1Networks, specifically because it was cheap, high frequency, and they let me bring my own hard drives.

When I founded Advin, I started to just deploy myself some VPS on our own nodes. Now I just have a 32GB VPS in Nuremberg at Advin running some LXC containers with Proxmox.

There's also an 8TB HDD attached, hence the IOWait. I run various projects, like ArchiveVideoMirror for r/publicfreakout, a mirror (+seeding) for osu! beatmaps, and just some various other stuff. I believe I just use NAT to conserve on IPv4 space (so just 1 IPv4), but there may be 1 or 2 additional IPv4 addresses attached here. I haven't really checked on it in a while.

I had intended to build myself a really nice EPYC or Ryzen dedicated server at some point with a bunch of RAM, SSD, and HDD disks that would've been an all-in-one setup, but I don't really feel like I need it.

I also have a home NAS with (I think?) 6 x 12TB HDD and a Ryzen 5600G that I run some home VMs on and have some file shares on. My upload speed is too poor to use a cloud provider, so I do local backups to my NAS. The VMs are also used for various experimentation/projects/whatever I want!

Thanked by (1)Amadex

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• No, I don't need a dedicated server for personal usage. It is mainly designed for situations where an application needs exclusive use of the computing power and resources.

• imokimok OG
    edited July 5

Yeah. 2 colo servers with Level One Servers @Ian_Dot_Tech and a $28 E3 with Heymman Servers. All of them running Proxmox of course, and a /29 or a bit bigger.

• @imok said:
    Yeah. 2 colo servers with Level One Servers @Ian_Dot_Tech and a $28 E3 with Heymman Servers. All of them running Proxmox of course, and a /29 or a bit bigger.

What things do you host?

• @Amadex said:

@imok said:

What things do you host?

Websites from customers, backups, personal files, a forum, and now Plex.

• GreenBoiGreenBoi Hosting Provider
    edited July 10

@Amadex said:
    As the title asks, do you have a dedicated server for personal usage?

What are it specs? Which software do you run? Have you more IP blocks attached to it? Pricing?

I used to use a finland dedi that was like 64gb ram 1TB, it was i7-7700T
    I used it for hosting websites and it worked fine. Bought it on offer so it was pretty cheap.
    I ran virtualmin on it. Pretty fine for a free panel software.

But I later cancelled it as I didn't have any websites to host anymore.

• edited July 10

@Ympker said:

@perryoo11 said:
    I do... Proxmox..

2x i7 8700, 128 gb ram and 2x 1tb nvme (everytime a new vps for a new idea)
    1x i7 7700, 64 GB ram, 1b ssd and gtx 1080 (cloud gamer)
    1x E5-2640 v2, 64 gb ram, 500 gb disk (from zap-hosting lifetime which runs pretty good)

pricing around 200 a month and 10+ ips.

[...]
    I also remember someone else who got a lifetime dedi from ZAP. It's pretty cool that ZAP said they will even replace the Dedi if it dies, so it's not even limited to the lifetime of the hw, only lifetime of the company/buyer.

I think it's me! I actually have two. They work well enough, even though the antiDDoS is more cumbersome than anything and no IPv6 is annoying.

Both of them have aged SSDs which may need replacements in the near future so I will post back how it goes.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@rubenmdh said:

@Ympker said:

@perryoo11 said:
    I do... Proxmox..

1x E5-2640 v2, 64 gb ram, 500 gb disk (from zap-hosting lifetime which runs pretty good)

[...]
    I also remember someone else who got a lifetime dedi from ZAP. It's pretty cool that ZAP said they will even replace the Dedi if it dies, so it's not even limited to the lifetime of the hw, only lifetime of the company/buyer.

I think it's me! I actually have two. They work well enough, even though the antiDDoS is more cumbersome than anything and no IPv6 is annoying.

Both of them have aged SSDs which may need replacements in the near future so I will post back how it goes.

Ah, yeah! I think it was indeed you, I was referring to haha :D Glad to hear you're still happy with their dedis! Yeah, haven't heard anything good about their antiddos yet lol. Let us know how SSD replacement goes, if it comes to that. I'm also still happy with my ZAP vps :)

• @Ympker said:

@rubenmdh said:

@Ympker said:

@perryoo11 said:
    I do... Proxmox..

[...]

Ah, yeah! I think it was indeed you, I was referring to haha :D Glad to hear you're still happy with their dedis! Yeah, haven't heard anything good about their antiddos yet lol. Let us know how SSD replacement goes, if it comes to that. I'm also still happy with my ZAP vps :)

anti ddos is questionable at best... it started with me having to raise a ticket to get the ddos re enabled because it costed me a while to figure out why my ssh wasn't working. so hit or mis.. so i guess it's just a little more premium than hetzner.

Thanked by (1)Ympker