Open Source NAS

Looking for recommendations for a local NAS to put in my garage nothing large for about 10TB of storage (Future proofing) thinking of using a mini PC and USB storage cube, what software are people using for NAS.

Ideally should work with Windows, Apple and Android

If you know of some awesome tutorials they will help too

Comments

• If you want a fancy user interface and don’t want to deal with any CLI, TrueNAS with preinstalled Samba
    If you want something lightweight and ok with a few lines of CLI, Debian + Samba

Thanked by (1)vgood
  • I use MergerFS + Samba, mount a couple of USB drives, use MergerFS to combine them into a single file system, then share it Samba

• XigmaNAS. Been using it for about 6 years and very happy with it.

Thanked by (2)Stingray13 vgood
  • @Stingray13 said:
    local NAS to put in my garage nothing large for about 10TB of storage (Future proofing) thinking of using a mini PC

Consider buying used HP MicroServer.
    Note there are different generations of them with different specs.

But generally fits rather well for a low-end option with a reasonably sized capacity and ability to install tools you like.

• AuroraZeroAuroraZero Moderator

I have an HP AMD dual core I been thinking about setting up with this. I would need lots more stowage though and probably some rams.

URL Shortener | YetiNode | CryptidSecurity | LaunchVPS | Are you in the Node?

• edited July 29

I would go with FTP over VPN.
    No file locks, race conditions, double-mounted filesystems, no IPv6, no hassle.
    With a 1 megabyte kernel the NSA wouldn't have space to fit in comfy.

• openmediavault

Thanked by (3)vgood skorous Brueggus
  • @DataRecovery said:

@Stingray13 said:
    local NAS to put in my garage nothing large for about 10TB of storage (Future proofing) thinking of using a mini PC

Consider buying used HP MicroServer.
    Note there are different generations of them with different specs.

But generally fits rather well for a low-end option with a reasonably sized capacity and ability to install tools you like.

I have one of these, from my old plex server but the hardware is pretty old

• unraid

• I know unRAID isn't open source, but I using it for my home lab and it's worth the price. Openmediavault does come really close with unRAID, and it's free. If you wanna nerd out, you can mess with Snapraid/mergerfs.

Thanked by (1)ElonBezos